Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM

65 posts, read 223,109 times

Advertisements

We live in Tucson and as we may have to move to Texas in a couple of years , we'd like to explore more of our state and enjoy it while we can.

We'd like to rent a vacation home in the White Mountains for a week this summer. We don't know anything about where the nice areas are. Here's an idea of what we want:

Not too crowded
Shopping (groceries) reasonably close would be nice, but not necessary
Quiet and peaceful (this is crucial)
Beautiful scenery
Fishing close by
Hiking trails nearby

We really just want a relaxing week in the mountains, where we can sit on the deck and enjoy the ambiance.

I did a Google search and came up with hundreds of rentals that looked great, but without any real knowledge of the area, I could end up with something less than desirable. One in particular was on Rainbow Lake--is that a nice area? It looks beautiful in the pics.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW25 View Post
We live in Tucson and as we may have to move to Texas in a couple of years , we'd like to explore more of our state and enjoy it while we can.

We'd like to rent a vacation home in the White Mountains for a week this summer. We don't know anything about where the nice areas are. Here's an idea of what we want:

Not too crowded
Shopping (groceries) reasonably close would be nice, but not necessary
Quiet and peaceful (this is crucial)
Beautiful scenery
Fishing close by
Hiking trails nearby

We really just want a relaxing week in the mountains, where we can sit on the deck and enjoy the ambiance.

I did a Google search and came up with hundreds of rentals that looked great, but without any real knowledge of the area, I could end up with something less than desirable. One in particular was on Rainbow Lake--is that a nice area? It looks beautiful in the pics.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Dawn
I've been to Pinetop, LakeSide, and Greer. Like the area. It's best to go when it's very hot here, but unfortunately that's also the time when fires break out there. I used to like going to the mountains around the 4th of July, but since the fires seemed to check with my plans a few times in a row, I gave up.

If you go in this direction, you may wanna see also Canyon de Chelly:

Canyon de Chelly Arizona National Monument

Canyon De Chelly, Arizona's White Mountains

I haven't made it there yet, but it does look beautiful.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:24 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Greer. You can rent cabins or stay at the lodges (check out the Molly Butler). It's paradise up there in summer. Much more peaceful and close to nature than Rainbow Lake (Pinetop area). There's a creek in town and several close-by trout fishing lakes along with millions of acres of public land to hike and explore.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,484,158 times
I will 2nd the vote for Greer, close to a lot of different lakes. I usually go to Big Lake.
Alpine to Hannigan Meadow area is a super area as well. The Black river is one of my favorites over there.
There are usually cabins you can rent in these areas. The drawback is groceries will be a mom and pop country store in most of these areas.
From Alpine you can also access Big Lake and the others as well.The route Duncan - Morenci up to Hannigan meadows is slow twisty mountain road but very scenic.

As for Canyon De Chelly make sure you leave nothing valuable in your vehicle or anything you don't want taken.
The tour down inside is a pretty good event.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:57 PM

24,529 posts, read 26,071,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
As for Canyon De Chelly make sure you leave nothing valuable in your vehicle or anything you don't want taken.
The tour down inside is a pretty good event.
Rambrush, is there a problem with cars being broken into?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Alpine to Hannigan Meadow area is a super area as well.
Hannigan Meadow reminds me of a strange trip. I like exploring new roads and areas. Once was looking at the map and figured there's an alternative road to the White mountains shooting off of I-10 East of Tucson. Man, this has to be the scariest road I've ever been on! Endlessly winding, nothing around, no services... A deep sigh of relief came out when we finally saw Hannigan Meadow!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM

It has been a couple of years since I have been up there, but at that point you had to leave someone with your vehicle while you went and saw the sights then it was there turn.
The kids would hide in the bushes and watch and observe being really sneaky and sly. I have a friend up in Many Farms and will ask him on Tuesday if it is as bad as it was.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM

But what a trip to go that way! the scenic views the pullouts with picnic tables
Even Adot has a Hwy Maint camp hanging off of the edge up there.
You don't want to be in a hurry going that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hannigan Meadow reminds me of a strange trip. I like exploring new roads and areas. Once was looking at the map and figured there's an alternative road to the White mountains shooting off of I-10 East of Tucson. Man, this has to be the scariest road I've ever been on! Endlessly winding, nothing around, no services... A deep sigh of relief came out when we finally saw Hannigan Meadow!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:06 PM

24,529 posts, read 26,071,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Gotta be AZ61, your either turning right or left or on the gas or brake. Great drive. Just don't be in a hurry.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:10 PM

999 posts, read 4,531,137 times
Dawn,

I hate to sound presumptuous as an out of stater offering advice to a resident Zonie, but I vote for Greer too.

We spent a week here at the East Fork Cabins and loved it:
Eastfork Cabins, Greer Arizona

Fishing wasn't great as the water levels were fairly low and I didn't get a chance to get down to the one place I really wanted to go, the east fork of the Black River, but we had a good time anyway. I especially liked driving around Nutrioso and Alpine up and down the Coronado Scenic route. I can't wait to get out there again, this time on my motorcycle. Saw lots of critters, which the kids liked, Pronghorn, lots of Elk, etc. It was just good to get away from too many people for a while. Weather was great. In the 80's when we were there after flying in to Vegas, where it was 122!! Probably in the 60's at night. We never used the heat or the A/C at the cabin. The cabin was very nice and comfortable. Kitchen, fireplace with firewood, clean and quiet. I think they were some of the least pricey in Greer too.
Coronado Trail Scenic Byway

Also did some hiking with the kids and by myself in the Blue Range Primitive area. When we drove in from Show Low, my GPS gave me the most direct route to Greer. It may have been the most direct route, but it was all gravel roads though the forest in the middle of the night. Wife wasn't thrilled, but I thought it was a great drive.

Also took a day trip to Quemado Lake. That was...interesting....

That White Mountains Online website where the Coronado site is posted is a great resource for stuff to do.
White Mountains Online
I saved pretty much the whole site on my laptop so I could check it out while we were driving where there was no internet access. I also got a cheap GPS receiver like this:
DeLorme Earthmate Car GPS Receiver - eBay (item 180213560991 end time Feb-12-08 17:33:12 PST) (broken link)
for around $20.00 to plug into my laptop so I could use my Delorome Street Atlas and Topo software as a GPS. This saved us hours and hours of getting lost.

Also stayed here once near Alpine, at the Talwiwi Lodge:
Lodging in the White Mountains National Forest - Alpine, Arizona
Accomodations were just fine for me, but would have been a little too Spartan for my wife and kids. The bar, restaurant and the atmosphere were great though. I'd definately go here for a night out. Nice hiking right out the back door too.

I liked the Sipe Wildlife area too. Not terribly far from Greer.
Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area

Last edited by and the; 02-10-2008 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona