Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:47 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,179 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a car from a private party. I went to look at a car that I am interested in and the car's title is in the name of the seller's father who is in a retirement home. The title has already been signed off by the registered owner (elderly man) and notarized, so all that needs to be filled in is the buyer's name and mileage. The MVD website cautions buying cars with already signed off titles as these may be "curbstoners." However, in my case, I am not dealing with a curbstoner, but rather the daughter of the registered owner. Is there anything to be concerned about when I take the title to the MVD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 14,115 times
How old is the notarization? Check with MVD if there is a limit on how old that can be before the title is transferred.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:57 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,179 times
The notarization is 3 days old. Before I give a cashier's check to the seller, I just want to make sure I am getting a valid, legit title.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:38 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
The notary stamp should have a license number on it go to this site to look it up. Do it on your phone before you sign a check over.

Notary Department

Old 09-14-2015, 05:20 PM

107 posts, read 201,560 times
For $1.50, you can run a title search on the Arizona MVD website:

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/lienmvr/search

All you need is the VIN and a credit card, and this will tell you the status of the title, including any liens.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:13 PM

370 posts, read 1,565,214 times
Word of the day: "curbstoner". While the MVD regulations may require a person who sells more than his/her own personal car to be licensed - as long as the title is properly executed I don't see the big deal for the consumer-there's generally no way for the consumer to know. In fact, a couple of years ago I noticed a few new businesses who consigned your car on their lot. I don't know if they ran afoul of this law of are even still around. I also didn't know you could get lien info without a registered owner's name so, chalk up two things I learned today!

Old 09-25-2015, 11:02 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,880 times
I typically include as a condition of purchase that the seller accompany me to the nearest 3rd party title/registration place. I cover the $20 convenience fee for title transfer, and only hand the seller the cash/check/whatever after the registration place tells me the title is good and transferable. We're typically in and out inside of 10 minutes.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:35 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I typically include as a condition of purchase that the seller accompany me to the nearest 3rd party title/registration place. I cover the $20 convenience fee for title transfer, and only hand the seller the cash/check/whatever after the registration place tells me the title is good and transferable. We're typically in and out inside of 10 minutes.
This is how I've done it in the past: I run a Carfax check on the car to make sure that's clean. I go to Chase bank, get the cash in bills and then we sit down with the Notary (most banks have a number of notaries on staff) and after the paper is signed and notarized, then I can exchange cash for keys of vice versa. I figure a bank is as safe a place as any to do this kind of transaction with so much cash-in-hand.

Have you ever encountered title issues on a car with a clean Carfax? Or do you do it this way to skip the step/cost of getting a Carfax?

Old 09-25-2015, 01:54 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,880 times
I don't even bother to do the CarFax. It's a flawed system - the only thing that it shows is anything that gets reported to an insurance company, and even that is dependent on that insurance company reporting it as a claim. Similar to way things get reported, or not reported on your credit report. Not all creditors report to all three bureaus, and some don't report at all unless you get behind, and that's assuming what information does get reported is even accurate in the first place.

Personal example - a buddy of mine bought a SUV that appeared to be in absolutely superb condition. Low miles, immaculate interior, only minor scratches on the outside. CarFax reported 100% clean. When he brought it to me for work, I suspected it had been involved in a collision, but he was positive it wasn't because "it's far too clean to have been hit!"

Upon disassembly of the front end to fit a heavy duty winch mount bumper, it became plainly obvious that it was involved in a pretty hard front end collision, with significant frame damage. It appeared that the previous owner merely replaced the cosmetic parts, beat the frame around enough to half way mount the stock front bumper, and repainted it. There was absolutely no way we could have possibly mounted an "off the shelf" aftermarket bumper to this, thus I ended up building one from scratch specifically to fit around the damage to his truck.

I've been around the block, so to speak, with cars and trucks for many years, so I'm confident with my ability to spot issues like these when looking over a vehicle. I understand the peace of mind some people get from a CarFax, but I don't feel it's something to be relied soley on, especially when it comes back clean.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, that is good information.

I try to get down on the ground and look up at the frame, etc., as best I can to make sure it's straight and doesn't show collision damage. Just try to take a close look at everything inside and out, you never know where something could have gone wrong. Also learned to use a magnet on metal body panels if you suspect that something might have been in a wreck and repaired some point ... if it's Bondo it won't stick, if it's metal it will. Of course with cars increasingly being plastic and aluminum, that one isn't as useful I suppose.

I am sure I've missed things even still, but at least I'm trying. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona