Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:22 PM

307 posts, read 1,398,120 times

Advertisements

If you are from bigger cities in Arizona like Tucson, and Phoenix it is understandable HOW HOT it actually gets there. Who here in Arizona actually likes the weather in Southern Arizona.

I live in Tucson and even at night the heat is uncomfortable. The nights never cool off. So it feels kind of "icky" and it is like that for about 4-5 months.
Oh and when the monsoons come .. humidity + 100 degree weather = lots of fun

But the winters here are AMAZING, for about 3 months it is worth living here. But the other 8-9 months not so much.

Who actually enjoys the Arizona Heat in the Desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 09:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,708,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
If you are from bigger cities in Arizona like Tucson, and Phoenix it is understandable HOW HOT it actually gets there. Who here in Arizona actually likes the weather in Southern Arizona.

I live in Tucson and even at night the heat is uncomfortable. The nights never cool off. So it feels kind of "icky" and it is like that for about 4-5 months.
Oh and when the monsoons come .. humidity + 100 degree weather = lots of fun

But the winters here are AMAZING, for about 3 months it is worth living here. But the other 8-9 months not so much.

IMO, 9 months in Phoenix are great, not 3. The winter is actually on the "cool" side, and I'd rather have it hot, where I can sit at the pool for a while. When the pool is hot, that's not great, but I'll take that over 5 degrees, snow, and ice.

Yes, the heat is the big issue in the desert. But the heat doesn't cause traffic pile-ups, air traffic delays, closures, and sheer misery like the cold does. People don't go and clean out the grocery store of eggs, milk, and toilet paper (this is a Mid-Atlantic delight when there is an ice storm). Heat is just uncomfortable. It can be dangerous, but not as dangerous as if your car flies off a road in subzero temperatures and nobody sees it.

It is hot... but for guys like me, heat is much better than cold. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM

683 posts, read 2,653,686 times
Quote:
I was just talking to a few people today about the weather in Tucson. Everyone was saying they prefer the hot and dry weather during the summer rather than the cold days we're having right now. I get tired of the heat towards the end of summer and I love the days during the winter when the daytime temperatures are perfect. But overall, I prefer hot rather than cold. I guess that's one reason why I love living here so much. The desert is not a good place for someone that doesn't like hot temperatures.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 PM

27 posts, read 172,773 times
I went to highschool in Tucson and lived in Phx since 96. I just moved in July to Col. I loved AZ and would have never moved until I had kids. When I became a stay at home mom and could'nt go anywhere in July with my 2 year old, things had to change. We tried going to the park and let me tell you in Phoenix that 5 degrees is huge along with the urban heat index. The heat is fine if you work indoors or you dont have little ones that want to go out and play. My kids now play almost every single day out side sun or snow. Although it snows here it's mild and with in a day or two it's usually melting. They funny thing is 40 degrees here is not like 40 degrees back home in AZ. It feels colder in AZ at that temp. Also almost all the housing communities have pools included in your HOA and the pool is actually cool in the summer.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:06 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times
Quote:
Call me weird or strange, Beliy Plashik, but I love the weather in Tucson.

I have lived in a number of places in this country as well as a couple of Island Nations in the Caribbean and, as far as I am concerned, Tucson has the best weather overall. July and August can be a little tough but it is a close to perfect as possible.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 PM

683 posts, read 2,653,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INPHX View Post
They funny thing is 40 degrees here is not like 40 degrees back home in AZ. It feels colder in AZ at that temp.
I wonder why that is. I've noticed that whenever I went back to Illinois for Christmas. Maybe the drier air makes it feel colder here. The thing in Illinois that would always kill me though was the wind chill.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 PM

27 posts, read 172,773 times
When the wind blows in does make it miserable. The heat in Tucson is nothing like the heat in Phx. Tucson has great weather, just a crappy economy. Once we left making better money in Phx, it was hard to even think about going back. I am the only one of my highschool friends that left Tucson, the rest are still there. LOL

Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
If one wishes to discuss heat: there is always the Colorado River area (Bullhead City down to Yuma). I lived there for a few years and returned to Phx in 2006. Our past summer here did not even compare to the River despite it being the hottest (Phx area) on record.

As for discomfort associated with heat-------try Wash DC and places like that. The humidity is brutal.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INPHX View Post
When the wind blows in does make it miserable. The heat in Tucson is nothing like the heat in Phx. Tucson has great weather, just a crappy economy. Once we left making better money in Phx, it was hard to even think about going back. I am the only one of my highschool friends that left Tucson, the rest are still there. LOL
I agree re: bad economy-------basically Kingman wages with Phx+ housing costs.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As for discomfort associated with heat-------try Wash DC and places like that. The humidity is brutal.
Quite true. Over the past couple summers, heat indexes around DC and points south have often been up in the hundred & teen range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona