Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 AM

20 posts, read 50,954 times

Advertisements

My family is planning on taking a vacation for two weeks from Dec 21- Jan 3. We were considering going to Florida but we have been down there so many times that my wife and daughter want to go someplace else. They mentioned driving to Arizona as they think it would be a welcome change. I was curious what area would have the most scenery, best weather and things to do for a 16 year old. We also are considering San Diego but the drive from Indiana would be a little longer. My wife and I are also looking for future retirement locations. We appreciate any info as we are making a long drive and don't want to be disappointed.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,933,976 times
It's not much driving between the three so you don't need to limited to only one.

Flagstaff may be cold in December. OK if you want to ski, not so good for sightseeing. Both Phoenix and Tucson have resort hotels with varying price. Personally I would not go without visiting the Desert Museum near Tuscon. There should be good walking near Tucson and the scenery (especially in the Mountain park) will be spectacular.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,072,580 times
here's the official state visitors' website:

Tourism & Travel | AZ Vacations | Arizona Office of Tourism

there's a tremendous amount of things to see and do out here....glad you're giving it two weeks instead of two hours....what is your 16 year old interested in?....Indian stuff, architecture, plants and animals, geology, hiking, golf, swimming, skiing ????.....

plan on very cold days and nights if you visit Flag, but it'll probably be sunny....the Grand Canyon South Rim will be open and is about 1.5 hours from Flag....

tell us more!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,166,831 times
Not sure, but it may be rather late to be making reservations for Christmas week. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2013, 11:33 PM

106 posts, read 247,010 times
Since you're from Indiana, a place with frequent temperatures below freezing and excessive snow, Flagstaff may not be your first pick. Phoenix is probably your best choice, it's a large, underrated city with a vibrant and warm winters, warmer even than San Diego, but not as warm as Florida. Additionally, there's a bunch of saguaro cacti everywhere, and the Sonoran desert is the only place on earth where you can find those. Tucson is also excellent in weather (maybe a tad bit colder), but it's not a top travel destination according to most people.

Another great Arizona option is the Sedona-Red Rock Country area. GORGEOUS red sand and stone everywhere with lush green forests in addition. Looks like a mix of Ireland and Mars .

Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM

62 posts, read 172,108 times
Definitely Phoenix. The city and surrounding area are excellent to explore. From outdoor recreation in spectacular scenery to world class museums Phoenix has everything a tourist could wish. Make sure you take a Pink Jeep tour through our gorgeous desert, visit the Heard Museum, Desert Botanical Garden and of course go for a hike on one of the fabulous trail. These are just a few of the wonderful attractions Phoenix holds.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,435,845 times
As for the driving, I would take I 40, that will bring you in Flag, after that you run via a very nice I 17 to Phoenix, check it out, than go to Tucson, what would be my choice of the three cities. South of Tucson are a lot retirees, what might be a good place to stay with a 16 year old girl.......
Take I 10 and I 20, 30 back to Indiana, what would be a very nice drive, and the same in miles, or shoot up from Las Cruses, Alamogordo, to Santa Rosa, it is a very nice and lonely road, 70 MPH.

Flagstaf has a very busy RR running through town, cool to see, but the train horn gets old pretty quick.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,421,995 times
I would stay in the PHX area so you can look for retirement housing. Tucson is geographically beautiful but it looks kind of shabby in most parts of the city...I can say that because I was born there BUT you can visit the Sonora Desert Museum, Colossal Cave and Sabino Canyon there so it depends on what your tastes are. I've been to them so many times and still like to go when visiting family. It takes about an hour and a half to drive there from Phoenix so it isn't a big deal. With two weeks why limit yourselves to one place? Heck, Take 4, or 5 days and visit San Diego too! I am staying at a cabin near Flagstaff so I can take my son the The Polar Experience during CHRISTmas!
Keep us updated and many will chime in on great mexican food restaurant choices. I like Mi Niditio in South Tucson...it is soooooo good. President Clinton, Willie Nelson, Enrique Iglesas and many other famous people have eaten there and liked it!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 PM

20 posts, read 50,954 times
I would like to thank everyone for the great ideas for our vacation. I think we have decided to stay in the Phoenix area, but since the other cities are so close we plan on visiting them also. A little background on the sort of things we like to do: My wife and daughter love to go shopping and can spend nearly a whole day doing such things. I am an avid road cyclists and plan on bringing my bike. Any info on these two hobbies would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:43 AM

932 posts, read 1,964,799 times
As far as cycling goes, the Phx, Tucson, Flagstaff areas are routinely listed in biking magazines. There are virtually an unlimited amount of great rides with great views that run through each of the cities. Might I suggest, if you prefer the inner-city,the Scottsdale Greenbelt to Tempe Town Lake or even riding through Papago Park. As for the city edge, a trip north on Power rd in Mesa goes along the Salt River to Saguaro Lake, passing the jaw dropping Goldfield mountains which, to its name, fizzles to a golden hue at sunset. There's a vast amount of cycling shops in the Phx area to suit to your needs.

Shopping? Each of the areas as their own category of shopping. Tucson has more Southwestern/ Hispanic influence, Flagstaff has the mountain flair (you know, lumberjacks and totem poles), and Phx with the Southwest/ chic/ hipster options that include the department stores like Barney's or H&M as well as an abundance of vintage clothing stores in the Central City.
As far as shopping and cycling, all three cities excel. Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona