Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM

160 posts, read 374,729 times

Advertisements

There have been rumors for years of different theme parks coming to Arizona, but none ever break ground.

The most recent was the waterpark "Waveyard" which ran into financial troubles with the recession, and the issues with the city and the water.

I did some searching and people seem to think no one would visit a theme park in the summer. Take a look at Six Flags in Arlington, Texas, it gets up to 100 in the summer, and it's much more humid than here.

I see a lot of benefits to a new theme park, new jobs, more incentive for tourism, and somewhere fun to take your kids other than Castles and Coasters.

California is only a half-days drive away, but it's much more expensive to have to drive to CA, get a hotel, and drive back.

I would really like to see Six Flags develop a smaller park here, even if it only had 4-5 roller coasters and some smaller rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,768,864 times
There have been them parks here in the past that went bankrupt - Legend City. We are only a few hows from the biggest theme parks in the country so not really an incentive to build another one here.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,074,580 times
I totally agree and if there's a way to start some campaign and letter writing, I'm in !!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
There have been them parks here in the past that went bankrupt - Legend City. We are only a few hows from the biggest theme parks in the country so not really an incentive to build another one here.
Legend City was closed in the 1960's, that's not really relevant to any theme parks today, and had financial issues from the start. There weren't any thrill rides or anything either from what I could find online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I totally agree and if there's a way to start some campaign and letter writing, I'm in !!
Maybe we should contact Six Flags and see what their response is, it couldn't hurt to try!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Too hot south. Texas may hit 100 a few times a year. PHX is over 100 for five months. Also, there are shade trees in Texas so you can sit in the shade and enjoy your visit a bit. Here, nothing but blowing dust and searing sun. PHX is no place for "amusement" in summer unless you are a lizard. Maybe northern AZ but there aren't enough people there even in summer and people from PHX would rather vacation in CA or wherever "home" happens to be in summer anyway.

I do think some smaller scale thing on the order of what's in Mall of America would work if it is built indoors.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Too hot south. Texas may hit 100 a few times a year. PHX is over 100 for five months. Also, there are shade trees in Texas so you can sit in the shade and enjoy your visit a bit. Here, nothing but blowing dust and searing sun. PHX is no place for "amusement" in summer unless you are a lizard. Maybe northern AZ but there aren't enough people there even in summer and people from PHX would rather vacation in CA or wherever "home" happens to be in summer anyway.
Actually it's more like 3 months of heat here, and the Dallas/Arlington area reaches 100 often in the summer, if not it's in the higher 90's. Add in the humidity and it's even worse outside than it is here.

You can plant trees anywhere, what makes you think they would build a theme park with no trees or misters?

Even if it slows down in the summer, there are still 9 other months of the year to enjoy the theme parks.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJ0SH View Post
Legend City was closed in the 1960's, that's not really relevant to any theme parks today, and had financial issues from the start. There weren't any thrill rides or anything either from what I could find online.

Maybe we should contact Six Flags and see what their response is, it couldn't hurt to try!
Legend City was not closed in the 60's I was born in 74 and went there as a kid. They had Wallace and Ladmo shows we would goto.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,208,577 times
Yeah the "too hot" argument is hard to support given Cedar Point in Ohio closes from end of October to mid-May, Phoenix easily has a longer nice weather span than their 5 1/2 month open season.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yeah the "too hot" argument is hard to support given Cedar Point in Ohio closes from end of October to mid-May, Phoenix easily has a longer nice weather season than 5 1/2 months.
Kids are in school in the nicer weather, unfortunately. There is tremendous competition for your and your kids time on school weekends. Also, in AZ most schools have a very short summer vacation - 8 weeks at the most. During that time, many of us have to make the annual trek back to families we left behind.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM

The weather is a mute issue the proximity to major theme parks in CA is more of an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona