Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM

28 posts, read 127,260 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Boston to Gilbert. I have an 11 month old. What is there to do during the hot summer months besides shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Not much I guess. The baby needs to be kept out of the heat.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
I'm not sure what you would do with a baby in a different climate? 11 months seems a little young to take to a playground regardless of temperature.

Some possibilties:

The Regional Library in Gilbert has activities for all ages. Most of the local public libraries have story hours even for infants:

Southeast Regional Information

If you have a pool, that's a fun place to escape the heat together -- although it should be done with extreme caution.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you would do with a baby in a different climate?
You can ride around in your bike. Cruise the city in your convertible. Visit places like Griffith Park (LA). Go to a zoo. Many things to do in other cities where the heat is not unhealthy for a baby.

Yes, it is true that the activities are not for the baby though.

And I'm not complaining about the heat because it does not bother me. But it is unhealthy for a baby.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Excessive heat exposure is dangerous at any age, although clearly more so for infants and the elderly. What's confusing me is that many of the activities named above (riding a bike, cruising in a convertible) are not things I would do with a baby, regardless of the temperature.

I have a baby younger than 11 months, but most play at this age is indoors. We do go outside -- for stroller walks in the cooler months and for pool time, with the constant presence of two adults, during the summer heat. Aside from that, I would take the baby to any indoor attractions that are openly welcoming to families -- libraries, museums with children's areas, etc.

Some museum ideas:

Mesa Southwest Museum (http://www.cityofmesa.org/swmuseum/ - broken link)
ARIZONA SCIENCE CENTER

Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM

28 posts, read 127,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Excessive heat exposure is dangerous at any age, although clearly more so for infants and the elderly. What's confusing me is that many of the activities named above (riding a bike, cruising in a convertible) are not things I would do with a baby, regardless of the temperature.

I have a baby younger than 11 months, but most play at this age is indoors. We do go outside -- for stroller walks in the cooler months and for pool time, with the constant presence of two adults, during the summer heat. Aside from that, I would take the baby to any indoor attractions that are openly welcoming to families -- libraries, museums with children's areas, etc.

Some museum ideas:

Mesa Southwest Museum (http://www.cityofmesa.org/swmuseum/ - broken link)
ARIZONA SCIENCE CENTER
Thank you for this! Back East we can go out during the summer months, because it really never gets too hot, so I guess this will be an adjustment for me. I will check these out for sure, thank you!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM

178 posts, read 801,338 times
not much to do w/ an infant in the summer, besides stay indoors and go out after sundown, unless you can find a mother's group which mets indoors. Personally I think that's an unfortunate and unnatural way to live. You will see many parents w/ babies and toddlers outside without the proper sun gear. Very sad.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM

141 posts, read 613,417 times
I saw in a previous post someone mentioned the pool. Even if you don't have a pool or if your child doesn't know how to swim, I would strongly suggest swim lessons. Not sure how long you've been here but if you listen to the news, there are far too many drownings and it's simply parent neglect. Take some time to teach your kid to swim. DO NOT rely on floaties!
It's a great way to spend time with your child, in a nice pool (they even have indoor facilities) teaching your child something they must learn.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 PM

46 posts, read 427,273 times
Go to a public pool and go swimming!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,932 times
Default Join a mom's group

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemommy View Post
I just moved from Boston to Gilbert. I have an 11 month old. What is there to do during the hot summer months besides shopping?

They should have them all over. I was in one when we lived in Yuma and it was really great for my kids. There are a ton of activiites they arrange to do and it's a great way to meet new moms in your area. I'm sure you culd find out online how to join..It's called the Mom's Club

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona