Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 PM

90 posts, read 410,684 times

Advertisements

I live here in Indiana and I am thinking about moving to the Phoenix area of AZ. However, I have watched TV programs and have had some people tell me that AZ deals with "serious" droughts.

Is this true? If so, how does it affect you?

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
I'm not aware that Arizona suffers from droughts any worse than anywhere else the in the country. Do you have any specific references you can point to other than unnamed TV shows and hearsay?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
I don't think we are any worse than the other states that have suffered a lack of rain fall in the last 20 years. I think it's just the way the world turns so to speak. It's all on it's own cycle.
The desert is use to a lack of annual rainfall, and burst of rain from monsoons and winter storms. The plants and wild life here are built for it. As for the people, if we start to die of thirst we will just move over to California. lol

Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Here's a link that will provide some info on the subject.

DROUGHT IN PERSPECTIVE

However in Az you DON'T want to waste water, avoid grass yards if possible, don't wash cars in the driveway use a car wash, simple logical things to conserve water. Arizona is a desert.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Here's a link that will provide some info on the subject.

DROUGHT IN PERSPECTIVE

However in Az you DON'T want to waste water, avoid grass yards if possible, don't wash cars in the driveway use a car wash, simple logical things to conserve water. Arizona is a desert.
Thank you for posting that link. The first paragraph pretty much explains it:

Quote:
Most of the western United States has experienced moderate to severe drought conditions for the last ten years and evidence shows drought conditions could continue for as long as 20 to 30 years; this includes Arizona.
Then there's this piece:
Quote:
In Arizona this current drought has now surpassed the worst drought in the last 110 years of recordkeeping. Beyond the written record, tree ring research reveals that 20 to 30 year droughts were not uncommon over the past 1,000 years in the major watersheds serving the city of Phoenix and surrounding municipalities.

During this current drought, Phoenix has been able to manage its available water supplies to meet the community's water demands. However, this record-setting drought is a warning. Given that we could experience another 10 or more years of drought, we all need to become more aware about the facts of drought and what the future possibilities and impacts from drought could be.
Keep in mind that this article was posted in December of last year. Since then, the drought has modified some thanks to some much needed moisture this past winter, and a fairly significant monsoon so far in northern AZ. However, the current drought has persisted for approximately 14 years, with only about three or four spikes in precipitation during that period. If I remember correctly, 2002 was the worst year for the drought. Moisture levels were at an all time record low, and many lakes & reservoirs were practically empty.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
It rained 3 inches here night before last and every day for a week before that it rained. I haven't had to run water to my grass this summer. I'm in Cochise County

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
...SNIPPED.... I haven't had to run water to my grass this summer. I'm in Cochise County
Just in the interest of curiousity, I thought people didn't grow grass in Arizona. What kind is it and does it take much water ? I have gotten rid of my grassy yard here in Florida but I have put in a lot of dought tolerant plants. Still not there yet.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
Default Grass is rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Just in the interest of curiousity, I thought people didn't grow grass in Arizona. What kind is it and does it take much water ? I have gotten rid of my grassy yard here in Florida but I have put in a lot of dought tolerant plants. Still not there yet.
although not unknown. If you feel that you REALLY need to have grass it would be better not to move to (the really dry parts of) Arizona.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Plenty of grass here, I have Zoysia so I don't have to cut often. There are certainly plenty of Golf Courses here polluting the environment. I was in Florida last month, you'd think the plants could live off the humidity

now back to the thread, sorry

Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,146 times
We got our year's rain in a week this year. What drought? Besides not all of Arizona is desert. Actually almost half of the state is forested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona