Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times

Advertisements

Mcmansion. An ugly one at that. Nothing truly traditional about it. It doesn't fall into any real style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 AM

224 posts, read 946,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Mcmansion. An ugly one at that. Nothing truly traditional about it. It doesn't fall into any real style.
Yup. Most of the newer homes around here (built in the past 25 years) resemble that house. They are just parts of different styles stuck together. Many are listed as "Colonial" (HA!) but there should really be a "McMansion" style code in the MLS.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
Yup. Most of the newer homes around here (built in the past 25 years) resemble that house. They are just parts of different styles stuck together. Many are listed as "Colonial" (HA!) but there should really be a "McMansion" style code in the MLS.
Two selections I'd add, "cracker box" and "slapped together eyesore".

Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Funny, I was going to say McMansion, but it didn't look quite big enough!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
Here's my idea of a McMansion (from Plano TX)
Attached Thumbnails
What is the architecture style-mcman.jpg  

Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I bet the sides and back have vinyl siding. This would qualify it for my description of most new housing developments which is "vinyl sided ghettos". They take a style of house and truncate all the features to make them cheap enough, so that all you wind up with is some big old garage doors with some house behind them.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Two selections I'd add, "cracker box" and "slapped together eyesore".
I think it should just say "Cookie Cutter."

Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Our MLS doesn't have a category like that. It shouldn't. Aren't there quite a few that are just plain houses without an architectural style?
All homes have an influence that they draw from. That' why they are all called traditional because they have become so generic that they really don't meet the requirements for a particular architectural style. I love when agents call everything Colonial or Craftsman when they aren't even close. I've said homes have a "hint of Craftsman" when they have the wide pillars out front but wouldn't call them Craftsman.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
I find a home with interesting architecture, but just wonder what is the name of the style, could you help to identify it?
First, why do you find it interesting? It's the contemporary version of a pseudo-modern starter home.

I use "A Field Guide to American Homes" by Virginia and Lee McAlester to identify housing styles.

Although it has been out of print since the mid 80's, it can identify a lot of otherwise unidentifiable housing styles.

Using that as a guide, and extrapolating from what they indicate, I would call it Eclectic Neo-Tudor with brick/stone wall cladding. From pages 362, photo 4 and 363, photos 3, 5, and 6.

Note the high pitched roof, although not as steep as traditional Tudor. The modestly decorative fenestration with a relatively low arch. Where the traditional Tudor battens on the gable ends would normally be, they have been bricked or stoned, thus the brick/stone clad which is indicative of higher quality Tudor. But if you study the photo a bit more, you will see the garage doors are plain without any real custom design, the windows and doors are basic, off the shelf components, the gable end vents appear to be fiberglass off the shelf components. The only real design element that appears to be the least bit custom is the window over the entry which was doubtless a special order at the local Lowes.

Overall, I would consider the quality of construction to be Average where Average Quality is defined as "......the quality of materials and workmanship is acceptable but does not reflect custom craftsmanship. Cabinets, doors, hardware and plumbing are usually stock items. Architectural design will include ample fenestration and some ornamentation on the front elevation." (Marshall and Swift Residential Cost Handbook, page Avg-1)

Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM

447 posts, read 495,829 times
Good, your post is most professional one so far.
For all identifiable architects, they are big, much beyond 2000 sqt. This is about 1600 sqt that shows some style.
Could you enlighten us with some nicer architect if any that designs smaller home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good-pasture View Post
First, why do you find it interesting? It's the contemporary version of a pseudo-modern starter home.

I use "A Field Guide to American Homes" by Virginia and Lee McAlester to identify housing styles.

Although it has been out of print since the mid 80's, it can identify a lot of otherwise unidentifiable housing styles.

Using that as a guide, and extrapolating from what they indicate, I would call it Eclectic Neo-Tudor with brick/stone wall cladding. From pages 362, photo 4 and 363, photos 3, 5, and 6.

Note the high pitched roof, although not as steep as traditional Tudor. The modestly decorative fenestration with a relatively low arch. Where the traditional Tudor battens on the gable ends would normally be, they have been bricked or stoned, thus the brick/stone clad which is indicative of higher quality Tudor. But if you study the photo a bit more, you will see the garage doors are plain without any real custom design, the windows and doors are basic, off the shelf components, the gable end vents appear to be fiberglass off the shelf components. The only real design element that appears to be the least bit custom is the window over the entry which was doubtless a special order at the local Lowes.

Overall, I would consider the quality of construction to be Average where Average Quality is defined as "......the quality of materials and workmanship is acceptable but does not reflect custom craftsmanship. Cabinets, doors, hardware and plumbing are usually stock items. Architectural design will include ample fenestration and some ornamentation on the front elevation." (Marshall and Swift Residential Cost Handbook, page Avg-1)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum