Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 13,577 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are both considering graduate school at Michigan State. Its really important to me to find a city that we both enjoy & feel safe and welcome in.
So I'm curious if Ann Arbor is a good place for responsible, mature young couples? Also is the cost of living ridiculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 PM

129 posts, read 340,012 times
If your going to MSU, which is in East Lansing, Ann Arbor , where U of M is , would be quite a drive.

That said, Ann Arbor is my home town, and I loved it there.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 13,577 times
Oh I'm an idiot! I did mean University of Michigan...its been a long day of searching schools.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:20 PM

542 posts, read 1,454,136 times
ann arbor is one of the best areas in eastern michigan. it's a great place for a couple as long as your not living close to frat houses and student living areas. in my opinion, the cost of living is high. it does depends on what you consider to be high though.

what type of lifestyle are you looking for. there are plenty of nice places to live within a reasonabledistance from ann arbor.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM

16 posts, read 64,031 times
Ann Arbor is a great city with an interesting culture. Tons to do - restaurants, art, sports, shopping, etc. Cost of living is high compared to other areas of Michigan, but may be comparable to other cities, depending on where you are from.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM

693 posts, read 2,264,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnash View Post
My husband & I are both considering graduate school at Michigan State. Its really important to me to find a city that we both enjoy & feel safe and welcome in.
So I'm curious if Ann Arbor is a good place for responsible, mature young couples? Also is the cost of living ridiculous?

If you look at statistics, Ann Arbor has one of the lowest crime rates in the state. Not many people worry about crime here, although with any college town in the nation, "crime" is inevitable.

Not knowing what type of city you are coming from, you will notice right away that Ann Arbor has a very high number of PhD and graduate students, which makes the workforce very competitive. You will also notice a high concentration of Medical and Dental students, so if lots of coffee/tea shops with intellectuals scares you away, I would reconsider Ann Arbor. When compared to other cities of similar size, Ann Arbor has a huge amount of venues, restaurants, museums, shows.

As far as the cost of living, if $1000/mo is to much for a 2bdr or 300K for a 3/4 bdr house, then it will be high to you. Most houses within a 5 mile radius of Ann Arbor will rent right around 1200+/mo.

Good luck with your looking

Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,193,185 times
Look down in the neighborhoods near the Gandy Dancer resturuant (if it is still there). There are (were) lots of older married grad students living there. It is a bit of a walk to campus, but there are lots of rentals and it is a nice area away from the get drunk and throw up hubub of immature underclassmen.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 15,464 times
Ann Arbor is a beautiful area. I lived there while I attended undergrad and graduate school at U of M. It is a very eclectic community and you would definitely be able to find a community of people that you're comfortable with. Don't live too close to campus or you will be living with young rowdy students. The cost of living is pretty steep but it's worth it when taking into account what the area has to offer. I always felt safe in Ann Arbor and part of a community.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 AM

7,352 posts, read 11,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnash View Post
So I'm curious if Ann Arbor is a good place for responsible, mature young couples?
Yes.

Quote:
Also is the cost of living ridiculous?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor