Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Michigan: Ann Arbor, buy a home, great schools, housing market, downtown.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 PM

528 posts, read 1,464,296 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving from the Grand Rapids area to -- somewhere. Actually, we're considering two areas -- Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC and Ann Arbor. Yes, two very different places, but we have our reasons. Ann Arbor's on our list b/c we'd like to stay close to family -- if we find that it meets our needs. My sister (who lives in Milford) thought Ann Arbor was calling our names. We're a fairly liberal couple and just find GR too conservative for us.

With that said, I'm wondering if some of you can provide some insider info. on Ann Arbor -- we don't know much about it. We're looking to buy a home between 300-400K, 4 bedrooms, 2000+ square feet, no major fixer uppers as we are not handy people. My husband works remotely so getting to/from an office is not an issue. We'd like to be in a family oriented neighborhood... and we don't need a big plot of land (just more upkeep in our minds). What we do want is friendly neighbors and parks, stores, etc. nearby. It would be even better if we could walk to some restaurants or stores, but not necessary. Great schools are a must as we have two kids, ages 2 and 4.

How are the property taxes? I thought they looked high, but I only did a brief glance.

Any neighborhoods you can recommend? Any to stay away from?

Oh, and are there any areas directly outside of Ann Arbor (with easy access to the city) that we should consider? Just in case AA proves to be too expensive for us or as another option. Ideally, we want to be as close to the town as possible though and again, the schools are a biggie for us.

I appreciate any info. Thanks!

Last edited by shoes4birds; 08-27-2008 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: add ? about surrounding areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 PM

382 posts, read 1,055,635 times
The city schools in Ann Arbor have a strong reputation- no need to live on the outside- especially if you want to be in an interesting neighborhood. I would generally consider the east and west central parts of the city. Arbor Hills, for instance, is a neighborhood in the east side. Here, there are unique homes and mature landscaping- walkable to the campus to the west, as well as shops and restaurants on State St. and S. University St. (if you're up for a walk). For the size of home you need and price range, that neighborhood should have options. Though the west side has nice homes too, they are generally smaller and the area isn't as proximal to shops and restaurants (my favorite grocery store, Plum, is on this side).

I've never been to Raleigh, but my friend, whom went to NC State, was fond of it and said the city had several, well maintained urban neighborhoods.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
Ann Arbor is great, and it will probably be sufficiently liberal for you. It is a college town after all.

Look also at tecumseh, Dexter, Chelsea, and possibly Plymouth. Although less liberal, they are all wonderful friendly small town kind of places that are close enough to AA to have some liberal fallout.

Raleigh is a big place. It is not reasonable to compare. It is like asking whether Grand Rapids or Chicago is a better place to live. It depends on what you like.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 PM

181 posts, read 608,397 times
I really like Ann Arbor. It's a good thing that I don't live there, because I would eat at Zingerman's every day and that would get expensive!

I feel you on the conservatism of GR. Have you explored all of GR, though? EGR tends to be much more liberal than the rest of the area. I feel like I'm going to be accused of being some sort of EGR shill, but I can't say enough about the area.

Ann Arbor, while I love it, has a certain snobbery attached to its liberalism. Sometimes if you aren't liberal enough, you can get crap about it. Have you ever seen the episode of South Park when Kyle's family moves to San Fran and buys a Prius and they go to parties and smell their own farts with delirious pleasure? The city eventually implodes due to the "smug" factor. Obviously, Ann Arbor isn't that bad, but I've gotten guff from having leather shoes, for wearing makeup, for having clothing which was purchased at a mall, for wearing deodorant rather then being proud of my own musky fragrance...etc.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM

88 posts, read 376,091 times
I recently moved from Ann Arbor because of my wife's job. We really wish we could go back, right now! If you want the "city" lifestyle, stay inside Ann Arbor city limits. The west side is growing a lot. The central-south area has a lot of nice residential homes. If you're willing to go outside the city, proper, Saline is a great little town immediately to the south. It has a very walkable downtown, a huge park, good schools, and a lot of new home construction. If you can handle a little more rural, there are a lot of new homes on/near Platt Road just south of Michigan Avenue. This area is outside Ann Arbor city limits and I believe it is Ypsilanti township (stay away from Ypsilanti city, it's bad; but the township is fine). I have friends who own homes in that area and the property taxes are much better than inside the city, and you get a lot more house for the money. Both downtown Saline and the south end of Ann Arbor are reachable in under 10 minutes.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM

225 posts, read 818,991 times
Ann Arbor's great. Wish I could afford to live there. Friend of mine just moved back from Raleigh. She didn't like it. Said she didn't fit in even though there are so many Yankees transplanted down there. The schools had cross-district bussing too. Not cool.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,567,021 times
I lived in Superior Twp (small twp between AA, Canton, and Ypsi) since 1996 - having to move last year due to the Pfizer pullout from AA. Worked in AA for 12+ years, shopped at the farmers market, ate in kerrytown or downtown, hung out at the local stores. I NEVER had any problems with the people looking down on me for not having a hemp purse, or for driving a regular car. I think it depends on the crowd you get in with. Yes, there are some rabid eco-friends out there who would probably make comments ... but most of the people there are normal - if on the "liberal" side of normal.

Like most prominent college towns, the populace is generally more educated, and the arts are valued very highly. Lots of independent book stores (shaman drum, one of the better), lots of coffee and restaurants, lots of street art and theatre and performances.

I am in suburbia outside Cincinnati, OH now and WOW!!! is it different! Holy Conservatives batman!

I miss AA, but unforunately for our family economics (i.e. me having a job) - had to leave.

I can't comment on Raleigh, but the AA area is great.

Especially in the current downturn housing market, you should do very well there. Oh - and Ypsi has a whole is not that bad. Went to EMU, lived in Ypsilanti ... it definitely has some areas I would not live in, but has quite a few nice neighborhoods (near the borders with AA and near EMU proper) that our great and get a lot of AA spillover.

good luck!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor