Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

You cannot beat AA if you want to live in a city. If you do not want to live in the city, many of the outlying towns are awesome. However if you want small town or rural living you may want to look elsewhere at some of the places that were discussed here and in other threads.

If I was not looking to try a different lifestyle than city living, I would be in Ann Arbor. there are few cities anywhere that can compare to or best Ann Arbor (unless the hordes of students bother you). However, I wanted a small town, trees and streams instead of streets and parking lots. I like that everyone in town knows who I am and who my kids are. we just wanted to try something different. Rural(ish) living is both better and worse than city living. City living is certainly more convenient and more exciting.

The Realtors say this is the best time to buy. I disagree. There is no indication that the market has bottomed out. Every indication is that home prices will continue to fall. They have only started dropping in the "hot" markets like Southern CA, AZ, GA FL, NC, etc. As those prices drop, ours will probably continue to fall (for this and many other reasons). My business is tied to construction and real estate, so I have to watch business trends and predictions to some extent. I have seen residential real estate recovery predictions ranging from late next summer to 2011. One guy even said to expect a ten year slump, but I have not heard of him before so maybe he is a kook. These are national and/or California predictions. No one will make any predictions about Michigan. It is too uncertain how Michigan will recover, so no one will guess when it may recover.

I wish that I had rented before committing to buying a particular house. If I were in your shoes now, I would rent for at least a year, look around, and watch prices (sales prices, not asking prices).

By the way, there are dozens of towns that are not Novi, or other trendy towns and townships that are plastered with McMansions, but have real old fashioned quaint downtowns with a great variety of homes. Look at downtown Plymouth for an excellent example. No McMansions there at all except those ugly million dollar condos right in town (empty I think). If you want to avoid the McMansion syndrome describe above, stay out of subdivisions. Look in the old fashioned towns and their neighborhoods, or look in areas that are all custom homes built at different times and for different income levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,979 times
Hi everyone!

My fiancee and I are considering a move to the Ann Arbor area after finsihing up our masters programs here in Chicago.

We are looking for something that is accessible to downtown within 20-30 minute drive, has a bit of land (country, not burbs) and progressive community. We ideally would like somewhere that has both socioeconomic and cultural diversity, which seems to be present in the Ann Arbor area in general? We really don't know much more than what friends have told us, but it sounds like a really lovely place to try and get to know for awhile. We are considering renting for the first year to see how we life Ann Arbor.

Any suggestions regarding living in a space that has outdoors, a yard for gardening and community oriented feel would be very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor