Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM

37 posts, read 170,773 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info comparing living in/home prices/schools/taxes etc. in the Ann Arbor area verses the Madison, WI area? My husband and I are considering a move to one of those places.

Thanks for any input you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
You can find that information on the internet. It is not all that accurate since it is just averages and usually out of date.

Both cities are fabulous. Both are on my list of the top ten cities in the US. You cannot lose whichever way you choose. The football is better in Ann Arbor.

I think that Wisconsin has a slightly better economy than Michigan, but then Ann arbor is doing better than most of the rest of Michigan.

I am told that Wisconsin has a considerably higher overall tax burden. Wisconsin probably has a better government. No idea really, I just cannot imagine that they could be much worse.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,505 times
There are lots of cost of living calculators online, although they fail to capture the "real world."

Ann Arbor is a cool town, but I just personally like Madison better. Visit them both and get a feel for what they're like.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 AM

153 posts, read 937,685 times
I live about ten minutes from Ann Arbor and it's a very nice town, lots to do, plenty of shopping, and cultural events, etc. I love the downtown area and think it's very walkable and safe in most parts. The whole city just feels alive.

I was looking into moving to Madison myself and one thing that jumped out at me was the home prices. Personally I think Ann Arbor is more affordable without having to sacrafice quality. Don't get me wrong, you can find your share of mini mansions here too, but you can also find a house for the person on an average income as well.

Having said that, I can't wait to leave MI because Ann Arbor alone is not enough to keep me here, as wonderful as it may be. It's alone in that...surrounded by plenty of boring towns where lots of nothingness happens every day of the week. So long as you stay in ann arbor you'll be fine, but good luck finding anything of interest anywhere else.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM

37 posts, read 170,773 times
Thanks for all of the tips and info. I appreciate it and will continue to look forward to more posts here.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
I was looking into moving to Madison myself and one thing that jumped out at me was the home prices. Personally I think Ann Arbor is more affordable without having to sacrafice quality. Don't get me wrong, you can find your share of mini mansions here too, but you can also find a house for the person on an average income as well.

Having said that, I can't wait to leave MI because Ann Arbor alone is not enough to keep me here, as wonderful as it may be. It's alone in that...surrounded by plenty of boring towns where lots of nothingness happens every day of the week. So long as you stay in ann arbor you'll be fine, but good luck finding anything of interest anywhere else.
The city of Ann Arbor alone does not make up the state of Michigan. Those "boring towns" are what makes Michigan that much more amazing. Within 50 miles, you have some of the smallest towns, and largest cities in Michigan.

Michigan has so many beautiful things about it. Ann Arbor and Southeastern part of the state, don't make up the whole state. I have lived in the Ann Arbor area for 19 years. Smaller outside areas are great places to live and have a family. So, with that said, yes there are areas that are better than others. But that is just like any where else you live in.

When you take a look at Ann Arbor and Madison, look at the surrounding area's. Just because you don't have the actual city name on your mailing address, doesn't mean it is not as wonderful.

Understand this is just my opinion. However, whats better than the opinion of a real Michigander?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM

153 posts, read 937,685 times
Kristen, I've lived in most of these boring towns, from Howell to Southfield and a lot of places in between, so I feel I have permission to call myself a real Michigander as well.

Yes, not every town is boring, but if you're talking about the cities surrounding ann arbor then I don't see what the appeal is unless you are retired and just looking to kick back. (which is fine, I'm not knocking that)

It's all a matter of personal preference. Personally, I don't like MI, and I really don't like most of the cities in it. There are exceptions of course, I'm fond of Ann Arbor, Novi, and Northville to list a few, but on the whole MI leaves a lot to be desired for me.

If you like it, good for you. No reason others can't enjoy it just because I don't. But we are all entitled to our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor