Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,938 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just got accepted to a great program at Wayne State and am going to be there for 1 year starting in the Fall. My boyfriend wants me to move in with him at his place in Ann Arbor (rent is also really cheap, 200$ a month). I don't have a car yet, and I've been told I should get one anyway even if I do live in Detroit instead of Ann Arbor.

My question is: Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to commute from Ann Arbor to Detroit? Does anyone know of other students who do this and think it's not half-bad?

Please let me know any advice/comments you guys have, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:55 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,668,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes1990 View Post
Hey all,

I just got accepted to a great program at Wayne State and am going to be there for 1 year starting in the Fall. My boyfriend wants me to move in with him at his place in Ann Arbor (rent is also really cheap, 200$ a month). I don't have a car yet, and I've been told I should get one anyway even if I do live in Detroit instead of Ann Arbor.

My question is: Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to commute from Ann Arbor to Detroit? Does anyone know of other students who do this and think it's not half-bad?

Thanks so much
it's not a good commute but you can do it. especially if you only have to be there like 2 or 3 days of a week. The winter will make things worse but expect about 50 minutes, and allow it to turn into an hour during thr winter (off peak traffic). what are you doing for work, or are you sponging off your boyfriend?

i used to live in detroit and commute to the scio ridge developments just west of ann arbor to fix up and maintain the new development houses.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,277,713 times
Since it's only one year- I say live with the bf to save costs and do the commute - it's only 40 miles - and about that long in terms of commuting time (depending on if he lives on the M14 or 94 side of town). Lots of professors live in AA and commute into the city as well. I would recommend living in Midtown/Royal Oak/Ferndale if you were single - but there's not a huge advantage to that now that you're coupled. Car will be requried. An American one =)

Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM

24 posts, read 59,168 times
How did you find such cheap rent in AA?? I didn't think that was possible!

Other posters -- is the drive going the other way (from Detriot to AA) about the same? How bad is rush hour times from downriver to AA? My husband and I the exact opposite problem as the OP - cheap housing in Detriot but (hopefully soon) jobs in AA.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes1990 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks so much
Is it a good idea? No. It is not a good idea to spend two hours or more per day doinging something most people find stressful and unpleasant. However it is doable. If you get into a car pool it will be more pleasant.

I know students who do a simlar commute (A2 to Detroit), but they do not think is is not half bad. They think it stinks, but it is no so horrible they decided to move or change schools.

You need a car. Some people live on campus at WSU with not car, but it would not be fun. You might make a lot of friends and borrow a car. If you do the long commute see if you cna get into a car pool. WSU has a car pool help system where they pair students form various areas with simlar schedules. (or at least they used to have such a system).

Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleKu View Post
How did you find such cheap rent in AA?? I didn't think that was possible!

Other posters -- is the drive going the other way (from Detriot to AA) about the same? How bad is rush hour times from downriver to AA? My husband and I the exact opposite problem as the OP - cheap housing in Detriot but (hopefully soon) jobs in AA.

Traffic is lighter most of the way if you are going out of Detrtoi in the morning and into Detroit in the evening.

When I go to AA from Grosse Ile, I leave an hour and 20 minutes to ensure I am on time. I usually make it. Depending on where you are downriver, sometimes it is faster to take Sibley, Van Horn, West, or King to middlebelt, then up to Sibley, then to 275 to 94. In the winter it is sometimes faster and safer to take 275 all the way down to Monroe and then come back north on 75. The freeways get cleared and salted before the surface streets.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,071,767 times
Out of curiosity, what is the "great program" at Wayne State? Is it the MD program?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,277,713 times
It's a one year program - my guess is the Masters in Social Work. That's always been ranked high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor