Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,935 times

Advertisements

I am an older student starting grad school at EMU. Grew up in Northville, did undergrad at Michigan, lived in Ann Arbor. Been overseas for years, living in crowded Asian cities, some pretty sketchy places. I love old houses, diverse communities, going for walks. I hate franchises, McMansions and pretentious people.

I would love to hear from some people who have chosen Ypsi over Ann Arbor. Would I like it there? Which neighborhoods are good? I am thinking of someplace near Depot town.

Is it crazy to buy a home in Ypsi? I have spent a long time wandering all over the world, and I like the idea of staying put, but won't fit in with lily white suburban America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 04:31 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times
Interested in this as well.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Ypsi is a slower paced A2. If you get into off campus housing I think you would love it. Depot Town has a few nice places. There is enough around to keep you busy, but it isn't a mega-metropolis. Depending on your schedule and need to work, you should always be doing something. You can always head up Washtenaw Ave to A2 for more intense excitement.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 25,456 times
Hi There,

My husband and I just moved here two months ago from Chicago, and we love it. Initially, we were considering Ann Arbor, but found the housing prices to be too prohibitive. We're renting right now, and probably won't buy for another couple of years. We couldn't find anything decent in Ann Arbor (at least the size we needed) for under $1,300. Surprisingly, rent in Ann Arbor is actually quite a bit more expensive than in Chicago.

We moved here because my husband is originally from Michigan, and we wanted to live somewhere that wasn't as large as Chicago but still offered access to plenty of culture. It's been a great fit for us so far. There's a lot of hooplah on the Internet about Ypsilanti being a terrible place, but we like it a lot. And really, it's so close to Ann Arbor. From what you've said, I think you'd like it here.

There are plenty of historic, character-rich homes, and they're much more affordable than those in Ann Arbor. I'm still not terribly familiar with the neighborhoods, but Depot Town and Normal Park are good options. I live on the edge of Normal Park, and feel completely safe. Depot Town is a great place to hang out. Eating and/or drinking at Sidetrack is an absolute must.
Moderator cut: advertising, please read our terms of service

Hope that helps! Please feel free to get in touch if you have any other questions about the area.

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2012 at 01:27 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Rent first. Ypsi is decent in parts and awful in parts and you need to choose the right area. SOme of the housing stock is incredible and it is actually affordable. One of the few places you can afford some of the more popuar victorian styles and beautiful examples of many different styles.

Not a whole lot to the downtown. It certinaly has the bones. It needs some super movitivated people to motivate other people and get it turned around. Still there are a few neat places downtown. One place serves good quality breakfasts and you pay what you can afford to pay. That is pretty neat.

Depot town is one street of cool downtown and a really nice park with lots of great events.

There are some beautiful churches with decent sized diverse and lively concregations. I am paricularly fond of the Methodist Church.

If you get bored, Ann Aarbor is just a bike or bus ride away. You can drive too, but finding parking is difficult in Ann Arbor.

I would enjoy ligving in Ypsi, but I am not sure I would try to raise children there.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,370 times
I'm a student at EMU as well. I lived in Ypsi during my undergrad years. I'm a graduate student now but I stay in Ann Arbor. To be frank, Ypsi is a DEAD place. It used to be lively during the Automation boom of the 90s but since then, it's like something just swooped down and sucked the life out of this place. The locals have even formed their own name, "Ypsitucky" or "Detroit's baby".

Yes, Ypsilanti is cheaper than Ann Arbor but that is due to two things. Drugs and crime. Someone is ALWAYS getting robbed, jacked or assaulted EVERYDAY.

If you are looking for any form of social life, you won't find it here. Downtown Ypsi is a joke and Depot Town isn't much to talk about. A restaurant and a bar. That's it. They have some nice events once in a while but nothing really much. Unemployment is almost close 8% so good luck finding a job here unless you get one in A2, Canton or plan on being a teacher at Eastern.

All in all, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to come live in this dump. Without Eastern, Ypsilanti would have probably been wiped off the map by now.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:42 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Ypsi is my hometown and I highly recommend it. It's drastically cheaper to live there than Ann Arbor, for one thing; the neighborhoods are much more diverse and MUCH less snooty. The houses have a great deal of charm and personality, although there are a couple of scary neighborhoods. And the AATA bus service takes you to almost anywhere in Ann Arbor/Ypsi, very reliably, if you don't have wheels -- most people in the area don't. Parking space is nonexistent in Ann Arbor and fairly decent in Ypsi if you do have wheels.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,478 times
I like Ypsilanti, I live there and there are both good and bad to the city. The trick is to find what you like and be involved. Its not a cultural mecca but its a nice place to live. Some areas are shadier than others. There is a lot of historical housing and people are friendly. Its a working-class crowd. Investigate the area before buying, but there are some good housing deals with this recession.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frill Artist View Post
I'm a student at EMU as well. I lived in Ypsi during my undergrad years. I'm a graduate student now but I stay in Ann Arbor. To be frank, Ypsi is a DEAD place. It used to be lively during the Automation boom of the 90s but since then, it's like something just swooped down and sucked the life out of this place. The locals have even formed their own name, "Ypsitucky" or "Detroit's baby".

Yes, Ypsilanti is cheaper than Ann Arbor but that is due to two things. Drugs and crime. Someone is ALWAYS getting robbed, jacked or assaulted EVERYDAY.

If you are looking for any form of social life, you won't find it here. Downtown Ypsi is a joke and Depot Town isn't much to talk about. A restaurant and a bar. That's it. They have some nice events once in a while but nothing really much. Unemployment is almost close 8% so good luck finding a job here unless you get one in A2, Canton or plan on being a teacher at Eastern.

All in all, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to come live in this dump. Without Eastern, Ypsilanti would have probably been wiped off the map by now.
the mnicer "Ypsitucky" has been around since the 1970s - right along with Taylortucky, Walltucky, and a half dozen others. It is a favorite cutesy phrase for anyone who wants to bash the place they grew up or to bash a neighboring community.

"Detroit's Baby" is funny but not true. Ypsi is nothing like Detroit. Neither in the good ways nor the bad ways. There are both social and safe places in Ypsi, there are also barren and unsafe places. It all depends on where you go. Like all generalizations, generalizations about Ypsi are invariably wrong. It can be nice, awful, safe dangerous, dull exciting. It depends on where you go and what you do.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:44 PM

555 posts, read 891,894 times
I am considering a job at EMU and, if I take it, will be renting with cats. The Schooner Cove apartment complex advertises screened balconies (I'm addicted to porch-sitting, as are the felines) and is on Ford Lake between two parks. (I've not been there and am looking at a map.) How is the area?

I will be in the area next week and will do a tour of both Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor. My preference is for areas on the bus line as I really dislike driving in snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor