Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 59,098 times

Advertisements

I'd have to agree with JoulesMSU -- people from outside the Detroit area see them as two separate cities. Sometimes perception is just as important as the facts and figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Growing up in mid-Michigan (and thus having no connection to either Ann Arbor or Detroit), I would NOT consider them to be in the same "metro" area.

From what I can tell based on my occasional trips out into the Detroit area; Canton and Plymouth are the "outer edges" of Detroit. Ypsilanti is not Detroit.

Also lol at anyone trying to say Brighton or Howell are part of Detroit. If you think that, might as well not even draw a line and just say the whole state is part of Detroit if you are going to reach that far.

well, opinions are like *****holes,,everybody has one...

the news just covered stories from both Ann Arbor AND Ypsilanti and they both were classified by news anchors as "areas of metro detroit", so i guess you'll have to take it up with them. lol

and if you actually look on Livingston County's general info on government websites, they are listed as being a "Detroit Metro Area" county, despite the fact that county is WAY out in the boondox(at least an hour to a two hour radius, where Ypsi is 30 minutes away from the D), so i dont think there is gonna be a right/wrong answer to this one ladies and gentlemen.

Being the product of a Detroit family this is what i know- not what i think(in regards to Ypsilanti anyways)....

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
South Lyon/Lyon Toownship (New Hudson) and Milford are clearly part of metro Detroit. Both Touch Brighton. Lots or maybe most people in Brighton commute to Detroit or Detroit metro for work. However you have to draw the line somewhere. I met people who commute to Detroit from Port Urine, but few people would call that part of Detroit Metro.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsi the Clown View Post
see what im talking about? lol
No. I have been trying to figure out what you are trying to say here without success. Obviously you cannto think South Lyon is not in Oakland County. Are you trying to say Oakland County is not included in the "tri-county area"? When I hear Tri-County area I think Wayne, Oakland and Macomb.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
South Lyon/Lyon Toownship (New Hudson) and Milford are clearly part of metro Detroit. Both Touch Brighton. Lots or maybe most people in Brighton commute to Detroit or Detroit metro for work. However you have to draw the line somewhere. I met people who commute to Detroit from Port Urine, but few people would call that part of Detroit Metro.
I think, by in large, that most of southern Michigan is a jumbled mess of relatively nearby urban areas with patches of rural areas in-between. For example, you'll see a lot of overlap between Brighton and the South Lyon/Milford/Wixom/Novi corridor. But if you start talking the east side of metro Detroit or downtown, you probably won't see much overlap. But the locations in-between will have overlap with both Brighton and the east side of metro Detroit. Because if you went strictly with overlap, you could probably get all of I-96 to be part of metro Detroit.

So yeah - I agree there has to be a line drawn somewhere, even if it's relatively arbitrary.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
No. I have been trying to figure out what you are trying to say here without success. Obviously you cannto think South Lyon is not in Oakland County. Are you trying to say Oakland County is not included in the "tri-county area"? When I hear Tri-County area I think Wayne, Oakland and Macomb.

i think the guy who posted that was referring to how south lyon "overlaps", when i use to date a girl out in the pinckney/fowerville area- and we'd have to drive out to brighton/hartland for dumb stuff, i used to get confused thinking that south lyon was in livingston county. i dont think it really matters what side of the county its on- its the same thing.....same thing can be said with ypsi...there's no way that you can have willow run and not be a detroit city.

idk what history coincides with south lyon and brighton, you'd have to ask someone who lives there

Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM

[quote=Coldjensens;26060357]I met people who commute to Detroit from Port Urine, quote]

there's actually a place in Michigan called Port Urine??? LMAO

Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_leaf View Post
i
idk what history coincides with south lyon and brighton, you'd have to ask someone who lives there

I grew up in South Lyon. No connection between them and Brighton at the time, excpet we used to fight with the kids from Brighton a lot. Even had some organized rumbles. Brighton was where you went for roller skating, skiing (of sorts) and Pizza hut. Otherwise we nevr went there except for a football game or to pick a fight.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 AM

[quote=green_leaf;26128101]
Quote:
I met people who commute to Detroit from Port Urine, quote]

there's actually a place in Michigan called Port Urine??? LMAO
That is how the people who live there pronounce it. It is spelled Port Huron. Pronounced Port Urine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor