Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM

41 posts, read 163,400 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband is an air traffic controller and recently got offered a job in Anchorage. We currently live in FL but miss the cold weather, so I am not so worried about that. I am completely foreign to the state though and I was wondering what some good locations are to look at renting homes in the Anchorage area and what places to avoid. I am looking for a quiet place close enough to everything but not on top of it. I have an infant and a 4 yr old who will be starting school soon. Any locations or places you could refer me too would GREATLY help. Also would it be best for us to sell our household goods? Has anyone had anything moved this far? Honestly any info would help me out here. Lol. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,560,073 times
You might check this thread and look at the map provided by Glitch:

Anchorage Areas?

On the household goods, you should prune much of your stuff as you can. If the government is paying for the move, I'd trim enough stuff so you don't have to pay anything yourself. I'll admit to moving to Alaska with stuff we ended up throwing out. I know the hospital here (not in Anchorage), moved a doctor from the south and I know people who came here from FL on for a two week vacation and haven't left (over 20 years ago).

One thing to be certain about is to get a national mover. The above doctor got a low bid internet mover and they held their belongings hostage, demanding more money. Also, just because I mover uses a national mover's forms, doesn't mean he's a national mover (happened to us). Some drop their national affiliation, but continue to use the national forms and are listed in the phone book as a national mover. Ask to make sure and then check with the national HQ to confirm. Otherwise, you're dealing with an independent and you have no recourse on the national level.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 AM

41 posts, read 163,400 times
Thanks so much! I would have never thought about looking deeper into the national level.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,006 times
Default Us too!

We are also moving from Fl to Anchorage! Many think we are insane but we are very excited. We have decided to ditch everything as moving quotes were 7000 or more. we are taking some boxes with clothes essentials etc, shipping our cars from Seattle and flying up. We are taking the boxes on Alska Airlines cargo- their prices were favorable for the amount we want to ship.....

Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 52,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice04 View Post
Hi there! My husband is an air traffic controller and recently got offered a job in Anchorage. We currently live in FL but miss the cold weather, so I am not so worried about that. I am completely foreign to the state though and I was wondering what some good locations are to look at renting homes in the Anchorage area and what places to avoid. I am looking for a quiet place close enough to everything but not on top of it. I have an infant and a 4 yr old who will be starting school soon. Any locations or places you could refer me too would GREATLY help. Also would it be best for us to sell our household goods? Has anyone had anything moved this far? Honestly any info would help me out here. Lol. Thanks
This was weird to read-- I'm also in florida, also heading to Anchorage for air traffic control. I'd be interested to get in touch with you guys and exchange stories! Are you in OKC yet? etc... email me HERE

Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,989,363 times
Best of luck to y'all! Remember to send us some snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: