Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 22,216 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've recently found this forum and am spending a lot of time reading through a lot of the threads here about Alaska.

I have a few questions about visiting Anchorage around New Year's time, Dec 26-Jan 3. That's the only time I can take some time off from work.

My first questions is, is this a good time to visit? I want to go when there's snow and it's cold so given my timeframe, the weather is a given. My main concern with this is the possibly limited number of activities to do during the winter. What are the best things to do in the winter in Anchorage?

Second, I want to make 1 or 2 road trips out of Anchorage. My first possibility is to Homer or Seward on the 1. The second would be to Fairbanks from Anchorage. Is this a safe given the typical weather conditions? are there a lot of other cars that make the same trips? I'll be renting a car in Anchorage.

Another possibility on my list was Chena Hot Springs.. i'm going with my girlfriend and wanted to take her to a place like this.. Is this place worth it? We want to see the northern lights (are they visible in late december/early january?) and check out the activities they offer.

Please let me know if you have other advice for me. This will be my first visit to Alaska and any advice will be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:28 PM

44,659 posts, read 61,722,489 times
April through Sept is Alaska visiting and travel time. Any other time is pretty cold, snowy, icy and hibernating time, especially when you want to go.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
It's beautiful in the winter, and it's a great time to visit. You won't have to contend with massive hordes of cruise ship type tourons. But you have such a short time frame--to get the most out of your trip, consider just going up to Chena Hot Springs. So many people make the mistake of trying to see too much in too little time; it's too big of a state for that. You'll get the most out of your experience by going to somewhere like Chena. There's another one too up there...Earthsong Lodge I think it's called, that's maybe a bit less commercial.

The drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks--well, during that time of year, you could be hitting Denali during darkness. Moose are a real danger on the Parks Highway; after the first heavy snows have flown they come down and feed off the willow branches by the side of the road. You don't want to hit one, and people can't always avoid it. If you do the drive, leave Anchorage at least couple of hours before first light.

The Parks is fairly well maintained but that time of the year the snows can be heavy. Freeze up should be over by that time but these days you never know, and that can make for some pretty dangerous driving conditions. Have an alternate plan of somewhere to stay if weather conditions get bad. You might want to stop at someplace like the Trapper Creek Inn or the Roadhouse in Talkeetna for the night, maybe somewhere in Cantwell.

You're lucky to have the chance to see the real Alaska during the winter. I wouldn't hang around Anchorage at all if I were you, but neither would I try to make two different road trips in a week. I'd pick one direction and make that road trip the whole thing. Personally I'm a bit biased towards the interior but I'm sure there are others here who could give good suggestions concerning the Kenai.

Quote:
April through Sept is Alaska visiting and travel time. Any other time is pretty cold, snowy, icy and hibernating time, especially when you want to go.
Not at all. It's when the state really comes to life.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-02-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 08-02-2008, 09:50 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,989,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Moose are a real danger on the Parks Highway
Not to mention the drivers who think they are invincible against ice.
I want to come up in the winter too.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
Well yes, I suppose that when he passes through Wasilla, Satch may be on the road coming home from the Mug Shot et al.

Other than that, though, the drivers on the highway during that time will most likely be Alaskans. During the summer it's crammed full of RVs hauling ass pulling cars and so on, but in the winter there won't be much traffic at all. They'll be semis and the best thing to do is pull over when you can and let them pass.

I know that my next trip up there will be during the winter.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:10 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well yes, I suppose that when he passes through Wasilla, Satch may be on the road coming home from the Mug Shot et al.

Other than that, though, the drivers on the highway during that time will most likely be Alaskans. During the summer it's crammed full of RVs hauling ass pulling cars and so on, but in the winter there won't be much traffic at all. They'll be semis and the best thing to do is pull over when you can and let them pass.

I know that my next trip up there will be during the winter.
Lol, good one Met. I honestly laughed out loud when I read that. I haven't been in that joint yet. I've been to Tailgaters a few times but other than the Peanut Farm in Anchorage, I haven't really been to any bars up here.

I bought the NFL Sunday Ticket for my DirecTV so I can watch the Steelers and drink beer from the safety of my own couch when winter hits.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:03 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,038,164 times
Good for you. IMO, winter is the most beautiful time of the year up here, particularly from a photographic point of view. I’m surprised more people don’t make the trip. After all, winter is probably more representative of the “real” Alaska experience that most think of anyway, so why not. Obviously, a winter trip requires more careful planning and preparation, but the payoff is well worth the effort. And of course, you get the benefit of significantly lower hotel and rental car rates as well!

All of the drives you mention are quite spectacular during that time of the year. Just be prepared to take your time, and some winter driving experience is definitely a plus. My main suggestion would be to call around to the different rental car companies and find a 4 wheel drive Jeep Liberty with snow tires. I’ve rented a few of those in the past, even driven one up and down the length of British Columbia on snow and ice and can tell you that those little buggers are practically unstoppable. I even considered getting one myself, but they are a little small for a primary vehicle though they make a great rental/vacation car.

Also, I wouldn’t be quite so down on spending time in Anchorage as others have alluded to. As you correctly pointed out, many of the more remote destinations are either closed or difficult to access during the winter. However, Anchorage has a multitude of winter activities at its doorstep including hiking, cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, snow-machining, snowboarding, etc. I don’t know what your level of experience is in extreme winter conditions, but having all of the conveniences of a modern city available, particularly in the short daylight hours and on a limited vacation time frame, will make the overall winter experience much more manageable and enjoyable.

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 08-03-2008 at 01:20 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,390,632 times
Temperatures might be a major consideration during the time frame you're considering. Interior locations like Fairbanks can easily hit -50 in December whereas Anchorage/Seward are much more temperate. Fairbanks is further north, so it will have shorter daylight hours than Anchorage. Although it doesn't happen often, avalanches can close the road out of Anchorage to Seward. A prudent winter traveler will be prepared for such an event.

A four wheel drive vehicle with snow tires is definitely the way to travel, especially if you're not used to winter driving. Rental car companies do not use studded tires, so the extra control of a 4WD is good. Also, a 4WD will be the only way to get about if there is a major snowfall during that time. A word of caution, though--four wheel drive vehicles are NOT unstoppable, even with snow tires. The ditches are often filled with such vehicles whose drivers felt they didn't need to brake early or slow down.

Moose along the side of the road can be a problem just about anywhere you decide to travel. They are a hazard in either day or night, but they're definitely harder to see at night. Most Alaska highways are not well lit outside of the city areas.

Whatever you decide, do not travel closed roads even if you have a four wheel drive. Remember that if you are in an accident or stopped by an avalanche blocking the road, you could very well be facing a survival situation. Keep your coat within arm's reach while driving. Safety experts actually advocate wearing boots, coat, hat, and gloves during winter driving because you could be trapped and not able to reach them in the event of an accident.

Winter in Alaska can be spectacularly breathtaking! Have a wonderful trip! Please be safe.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,038,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
A four wheel drive vehicle with snow tires is definitely the way to travel, especially if you're not used to winter driving. Rental car companies do not use studded tires, so the extra control of a 4WD is good.
You might want to check with Avis. This last winter, our company re-negotiated our contract with Avis and they started providing vehicles with studded tires on request (after countless winter visits to Fairbanks only to be stuck with some POS Chevy Malibu with street tires!). I don't know if they provide this service on general rentals to the public, but it can't hurt to ask.

Also, you can check here:

Denali Car Rental - Homepage - Anchorage, Alaska

Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,390,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
You might want to check with Avis. This last winter, our company re-negotiated our contract with Avis and they started providing vehicles with studded tires on request (after countless winter visits to Fairbanks only to be stuck with some POS Chevy Malibu with street tires!). I don't know if they provide this service on general rentals to the public, but it can't hurt to ask.

Also, you can check here:

Denali Car Rental - Homepage - Anchorage, Alaska
Great info! Thanks!!! I'll have to give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage