Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:38 AM

6 posts, read 33,644 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to anchorage in a month and am so excited about it. these posts have been a great way to learn more about anchorage. One thing that i'm having trouble with is...

i know that whatever i do i don't want to find an apartment in spenard, muldoon, mountain view, fairview.... and it would be great to live in hillside, bootleggers cove, south addition, etc... but i can't figure out WHERE these areas are. does anyone have a source for a map that shows the limits of these areas? or which streets they are in? i'm searching on craigslist for apartments and they just give the street addresses... i can't tell if it's a good area or not from that.

thanks for any help!
e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:08 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Some of these links might help.

Spenard, Anchorage real estate guide - Trulia.com
South Addition, Anchorage real estate guide - Trulia.com
Anchorage Home Prices and Heat Map

Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 AM

49 posts, read 216,117 times
On google maps, this is what I can see:

for the most part, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near Muldoon Rd (I did live there, right off the Glenn Hwy, and HATED it - pm me for details...), Spenard Rd, MountainView Dr., Bragaw Street (between Reka and MountainView). I think you can see all of those streets on google maps.

I've lived all over Anchorage (as a young college student, 7 years ago, and I lived in places that were ok considering how much rent I was paying...) but now that I have have a family, I worked hard and saved up money so that I could afford to buy a house in a neighborhood that is mostly occupant-owned, single-family homes. I really like the south side of town (both southeast and southwest have nice areas and great schools).

PLease let me know if I can clarify any of these thoughts.

Last edited by UpNorth; 03-06-2008 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: grammar/clarity

Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 AM

thanks guys! when you say "south side of town" do you mean areas around Diamond blvd. or Klatt road, Omally? what about the bicentennial park area? or places near the seaward highway... where is bootleggers cove?
thanks so much!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:06 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Bootleggers Cove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Default Anchorage Areas - Defined

I hope this helps:
  • Spenard Area: From 15th Avenue and Spenard Road, along Spenard Road heading southwest until you reach Spenard Road and West International Airport Road, and all roads within 5 blocks on either side of Spenard Road.
  • Muldoon Area: From E. 36th Avenue and Muldoon Road, along Muldoon Road heading north to the Glenn Highway, and all roads within 5 blocks on either side of Muldoon Road.
  • Mountain View Area: Boniface Parkway and Mountain View Drive, along Mountain View Drive heading west to Reeve Boulevard (Mountain View Drive turns into Commercial Drive after Taylor Street), and all roads within 5 blocks on either side of Moutain View Drive/Commercial Drive.
  • Fairview Area: Bordered by E. 6th Street on the north, Orca Street on the east, E. 21st Avenue on the south, and Cordova Street on the west.
  • South Addition: Start with L Street and the coast, proceed south on L Street to 11th Avenue, then proceed east to Cordova Street. South on Cordova Street to W. 19th Avenue. East on W. 19th Avenue until it turns into Hillcrest Drive. Follow Hillcrest Drive east until you reach the sea. Everything within this area is the South Addition.
  • Bootlegger's Cove: The western half of downtown Anchorage, north of W. 11th Avenue and south of the railroad tracks.
  • Hillside: South of O'Malley, east of the Seward Highway, north of Rabbit Creek Road.
With a decent road map of Anchorage you should be able to mark these areas. The areas in red you want to avoid.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 AM

thanks soooo much! that was awesome! this is what i'm working with now... does this look about right?
Google MapsGoogle Maps

Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Here are all the different Anchorage areas: Google Maps

The areas in dark red you want to avoid.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Default wow!

Thank's GLITCH!! that was exactly what i was looking for!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,857 times
Default university area

I like the university area up against hiking/groomed ski/biking trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage