Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM

63 posts, read 183,978 times

Advertisements

After my wife and I visited in May and after weeks of thinking it over we decided to take the job offer and move to Anchorage.

I see there are other moving threads but I’m posting this one in case our situation warranted different advice. I know there is a lot to know about traveling through Seattle or Canada so we appreciate the assistance.

We have (2) cars (2) motorcycles and (2) dogs, no kids. The new company is not offering any assistance with the move so we are selling both cars and both motorcycles and will purchase one before we make the trip. It is very expensive to move anything to Alaska and that is why we have decided to sell about 80% of what we own because its not worth paying thousands of dollars to move stuff that isn’t worth that much.

Scenario 1 - Drive the SUV pulling a trailer to Seattle. Put everything on the Ferry and fly with both dogs from Seattle to Anchorage.

Scenario 2 – Drive to Seattle and ride on the Ferry with the dogs and trailer.

Scenario 3 – Drive 4,200 miles from Houston to Anchorage through Canada with the dogs and the trailer.

Scenario 4 - ?

Scenario 5 - ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,627,276 times
I think you'll need some sort of health certificate for you dogs if you drive through Canada. I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful information. Enjoy you move.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,724,553 times
I'd drive because it's usually cheaper then the ferry.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,632,042 times
Most likely your vehicle will need to switch ferries in Juneau, so you'll need a driver with it. TOTE might be a better option if you are flying from Seattle.
Shipping Vehicles, Boats & RVs | Totem Ocean Trailer Express

The ferry ride is nice. So is the drive. You could take the ferry Bellingham to Haines, and then drive from Haines up.

When I do the drive from Portland or Seattle, I have someone with me and we drive it straight through, stopping only for gas. We pack a cooler of food so we don't even stop for meals. It saves money on hotels that way and you get here faster.

If you do drive it, I highly recommend having a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner .

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,542,379 times
I'll add that I agree with the drive instead of ferry for cost. The Milepost is a must. I did a hybrid of what AKStafford does. I drive as much as I can during the daylight hours and will spend a night or two at a rest area (pull off, whatever we can find), but we will spend a couple of nights in a hotel. The 'free' morning breakfast that most Hotels offer sorta make up for the some of the cost of the night. (There are 4 of us so breakfasts out are still spendy) We did pack plenty of food and drinks to limit restocking up at outrageously priced convenience stores in Canada.

You will need health certs for the dogs and you need to be aware of what you can and cannot bring into Canada. I run thru the Canadian Border Patrol website is a must. A quick example is that firearms are usually easier to ship than bring with you. ANd careful on how much booze and cigarettes you bring (non-issues for us, but could be an issue for you) If either of you have ever been arrested (ESPECIALLY DUI) than you need to read up on that as well. These may make Ferry taking a reality, rather than a choice.

Plenty of threads out there on these topics and they go into greater detail.

Good luck and enjoy your move.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM

63 posts, read 183,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I'd drive because it's usually cheaper then the ferry.
Where could I find "rough estimates" where I can compare the 2 options.

Total estimated costs and the estimated time to arrive in Anchorage for both options.

Also the questions arise about U-haul (and similar) trailers allowed in Canada? Allowed on the Ferry?
What are the living conditions/accommodations on the Ferry?

Rough estimate shows 36 hours of drive time/2,400 miles plus the time for the Ferry trip to Anchorage although would be incredibly expensive...

73 hours of drive time/ 4,100 miles.

What is the best way to travel with; Pets, firearms, ammunition, safes, personal documents and any other items we would be moving that would be sensitive or require special needs.

Would it be better to just hire a moving company to take everything and ship the vehicle and we just fly there?

Last edited by drvasek; 06-25-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,724,182 times
Everything you wanted to know about the Alaska Marine Highway System.

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

If you're wealthy and money is no object then by all means you should just hire a moving company and let them do it all.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,632,042 times
You can take uHauls through Canada. I've done it. And I'm pretty sure they are allowed on the ferry. There's cabins on the ferries or you can sleep in the lounge or solarium. You can bring on your own food or you can eat in their cafeteria. You are only allowed to access your vehicle while in port. If you have pets they allow certain times to go below and walk them.
Give these forums a read for details on firearms through Canada. No handguns. You'll need a passport to get back into the US. And no felonies or DUI's for getting into Canada.
No matter how you do it, its not going to be cheap. Gas through the more remote parts of Canada will be expensive.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,724,553 times
Yup, what they said. You can also google gas prices in Canada to get an idea of what the going rate is. then simple math lets you figure out the rest.

You can carry extra gas, but only up to the amount your car's original tank holds.
And make sure you have a really good spare tire and the knowledge to change it.'
Always, ALWAYS top of your tank at the gas stations. (especially important if you are driving in the off season/winter months)

Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM

44 posts, read 86,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
You can take uHauls through Canada. I've done it. And I'm pretty sure they are allowed on the ferry. There's cabins on the ferries or you can sleep in the lounge or solarium. You can bring on your own food or you can eat in their cafeteria. You are only allowed to access your vehicle while in port. If you have pets they allow certain times to go below and walk them.
Give these forums a read for details on firearms through Canada. No handguns. You'll need a passport to get back into the US. And no felonies or DUI's for getting into Canada.
No matter how you do it, its not going to be cheap. Gas through the more remote parts of Canada will be expensive.
Just came from Houston 3 weeks ago driving and was not that bad as long as you rest every night at sunset. The Alaskan Highway was the worst since you have to deal with long steep hills and the tractor trailers drivers are simply crazy. We are driving carefully at 60 since we were pulling a Dodge Caliber with my Dodge Durango and going down hill they were passing us at 70 and 90 mph and here we are scary at 60. No side rails in skinny road is not fun plus you have mooses and bears coming across your way. we drove 4300 miles and if i have to do it again, yes, i'll do it again but with no pulling, just one car. From Winnepeg to Alberta the road was bad, bumpy and bad view which surprised me about Canada. The places we stop to spend the night were awesome. the road in general was very scary. Also take in consideration that your insurance has to be bump up to cover 200k liability for Canada driving and your insurance has to give you a Canada card. The Milepost did not gave me a great help but in Alaska and every single map we pick up in every hotel/motel and the simple Atlas we got in Nebraska gave us better info that the Milepost. Any questions call me....281-701-0012.

note: We were in oklahoma the day before the big tornado. we past under a tornado, hail and high winds and caught on tape......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage