Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 AM

5 posts, read 9,988 times

Advertisements

I did poke around the board, but I didn't see very much addressing my specific situation (thank you in advance for your time) -

My wife and I (along with our two children) are seriously discussing relocating from Nebraska to Anchorage. We're in our early 30s but not "professionals" as such. We're hardworking hand to mouth lower middle class. I'm a lifetime nametagger (and I think I can transfer my job to a location in your city) and my wife does in-home child care.

I guess my question boils down to this: Can a family of four that nets $30K or so (after health insurance) live reasonably well in Anchorage (or AK in general?) I'm not talking about steak dinners and new cars here. Just renting a decent 3-4 bedroom house in a safe neighborhood and being able to buy groceries and have cable. What we like about Nebraska is that people in our situation can live pretty well, but ultimately there are things missing from our lives that we think we can find in your state.

Leon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:00 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,705,371 times
No! Don't do it based on that small amount of income. Your better off where you are at. At the very least you need to take a trip up here and come in November or March to see what it is like..

Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,125,629 times
Here is my take Leon. Anchorage makes a lot of money on rents. A 3-4 bedroom house in Anchorage is going to run you $2K. Eagle River 12 miles North a bit cheaper. That is the major "ding" on income. Food is going to be more expensive than Nebraska especially meat. Fish is much cheaper and having eaten at the Drover in Omaha, we really can't touch your steaks. Gas is about $.50 more per gallon than in Nebraska. Cost of car ownership is higher to due the long winters. I don't want to discourage you but these are the "facts" on the ground right now.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:04 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,719,456 times
No, however, your wages might be higher once you get here and start working.
HOwever, I have no idea what a "nametagger" is so I cannot possibly even guess at an wage for you here.

We make $80,000 (DH's income alone) and it is barely enough for a family of 6. We have NO bills other then mortgage, utilities and car insurance and food. We do not even have to pay medical insurance. There is no way on this earth I would attempt to live in Anchorage with $30,000. Nope.

However, it can be done in Fairbanks and other smaller communities. Do not give up on your dreams of Alaska livin'. Just open your options a bit.

Oh, I re-read your post and I see you wanted a Nice Rental and Cable.....
So maybe no in Fairbanks either. Sorry.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,106,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Oh, I re-read your post and I see you wanted a Nice Rental and Cable.....
So maybe no in Fairbanks either. Sorry.
Fairbanks doesn't have nice rentals and cable?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:50 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,256 times
The cost of living is higher here in Alaska. A $30K life style in Nebraska would require more like $50K in Alaska.
And, what is name tagging?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,719,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Fairbanks doesn't have nice rentals and cable?
Oh gosh! Yes, Fairbanks does have nice rentals AND cable but the OP was requesting those on a $30K salary for a family of 4.

Having lived in Fairbanks on a budget, I can say for certain that living on $30K or less can be done but sometimes we have to give up "nice" and possibly even cable.
(of course we usually had the cable, but no running water! LOL)

Choices, ya know?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM

863 posts, read 2,080,042 times
I scraped by with about $20K for one year, in a little cabin outside Palmer ($600/month - really good deal). It's an Alaskan tradition to find creative ways to live really really cheap, but it will be very difficult for a family of 4 to lead anything like a normal life on $30K/year. $40K would probably be doable on a strict budget (note that salaries are usually a bit higher up here, but not 25% higher). Good luck.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM

165 posts, read 553,272 times
My wife and I made $85K last year and it was still tight. This year we have a new baby boy and we pay $700 a month just for child care. Plus $1,500 a month for rent. Add in our two car payments plus the increase in groceries and the fact that everything is more expensive here and I mean everything I don't see how a single person could live on $30k a year. Honestly I can't see how a family of 4 could live on $30k a year anywhere.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 18,137 times
I wouldn't recommend it.

I make close to 50+ a year and live by myself in a small one bedroom. I make it, but I'm not buying any dvds off of Amazon, and occasionally it's Ramen for dinner.

I moved up here recently from Oklahoma and everything you hear is true. People will tell you that everything is more expensive and...it really is. Listen to them.

It's difficult to find housing, let alone good prices in good neighborhoods. I got lucky in placement, but I pay way too much. I spend roughly half of my paycheck on rent alone.

Moving to Alaska is a great adventure. I did the drive by myself and came up here without knowing anyone. It's beautiful and it's a great experience, but there are a lot of risks involved that I'm not particularly sure you'll want to take with children.
I'd advise you to SERIOUSLY consider the move before you make it.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage