Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 08:49 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,947,742 times

Advertisements

Genetic Admixture Study in Argentina

This one was published in the PoS Journal in 2019.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0214830

Argentina Population Density

https://popdensitymap.ucoz.ru/news/2015-08-13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 09:23 PM

For the sake of comparison.

Brazil

https://www.scielo.br/j/gmb/a/fk6kLT...cZBC/?lang=en#

Cuba

https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...l.pgen.1004488

Mexico

https://www.nature.com/articles/jhg201267

Ecuador

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-45723-w

Chile

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms7472

Lastly, this one is about Colombia. It's the closest country to Venezuela that has ancestry admixture results, though Colombia's population is much more varied than Venezuela. Maybe in the next few years one about Venezuela will be published.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0164414

As expected since I said it before either in this thread or in a similar one, it's virtually impossible to find national admixture averages of the USA as it's done with these countries. Maybe there is something American scientists want to hide by not publishing that information. It's quite odd.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:22 AM

169 posts, read 170,872 times
Where does the Cuban info come from??? While the area around Havana is pretty European the rest is very mixed and afro. This is from my point of view of what I noticed when I visited Cuba a few years back. The rest looks pretty accurate though. I wonder what Uruguay and Bolivia look like?

Old 08-11-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
Where does the Cuban info come from??? While the area around Havana is pretty European the rest is very mixed and afro. This is from my point of view of what I noticed when I visited Cuba a few years back. The rest looks pretty accurate though. I wonder what Uruguay and Bolivia look like?
I guess you haven't been looking at many DNA results. Many are all over the internet and on 23andme. For whatever reason, it's quite common for Latinos to have more European than they look. In part is due to the skewed American perception of what someone with X type of DNA result should look like, which isn't quite accurate from a DNA point of view. If you go by US perception of looks and what peoples DNA could be, that may be the reason for your "shock."

I suggest you look into more Latino DNA results to see what I mean.

Regarding Cuba there are several DNA studies and they all pretty much show similar results, namely the predominance of European blood in much of the population.

In Brazil it was discovered that most of the people that claim to be black in fact have a European majority in their DNA, as shocking as that may sound.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:05 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatravelinguy View Post
I would agree with this wholeheartedly. Surprisingly, most of the Argentineans we came across in Buenos Aires and down around Iguazu Falls did not look like the Western Europeans we'd come to believe they would resemble. Instead they looked more mixed even in the upscale areas. On the other hand, the architecture in most of the central part of Argentina's capital city was reminiscent of the largest cities in Espana.
It kind of makes sense when considering that, according to a map that I've seen of the proportions of Native American/First Nations/indigenous ancestry in the entire Americas (which I can't get immediately right now), the Pampas/Rio de la Plata area and southern Brazil have slightly more indigenous blood than the other great area of European settlement in the Americas (most of the continental US and southern Canada). Even so, that's still well below the rest of Latin America.

Another point is that more and more people of at least partly indigenous ancestry have immigrated to Argentina from such countries as Paraguay and Bolivia for higher wages.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:45 PM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I guess you haven't been looking at many DNA results. Many are all over the internet and on 23andme. For whatever reason, it's quite common for Latinos to have more European than they look. In part is due to the skewed American perception of what someone with X type of DNA result should look like, which isn't quite accurate from a DNA point of view. If you go by US perception of looks and what peoples DNA could be, that may be the reason for your "shock."

I suggest you look into more Latino DNA results to see what I mean.

Regarding Cuba there are several DNA studies and they all pretty much show similar results, namely the predominance of European blood in much of the population.

In Brazil it was discovered that most of the people that claim to be black in fact have a European majority in their DNA, as shocking as that may sound.
Most Cuban DNA results you'll find on the internet are from Cuban Americans and most of them are White Cubans so I wouldn't take that as an example.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Most Cuban DNA results you'll find on the internet are from Cuban Americans and most of them are White Cubans so I wouldn't take that as an example.
This is what it says in the link above regarding Cuba. Not once is there any mention that their samples came from the United States or elsewhere except Cuba. Also, that study is regarding an admixture DNA and the self-representation in Cuban censuses, so how can a Cuban living in say Miami participate in a census in Cuba? Plus, why would the Ministry of Public Health of Cuba be involved in a study if the participants were not living in Cuba? A person should read at least the beginning paragraphs of a study before having any opinions of it.

Quote:
We carried out an admixture analysis of a sample comprising 1,019 individuals from all the provinces of Cuba.
Quote:
We found evidence of substantial population stratification in the current Cuban population, emphasizing the need to control for the effects of population stratification in association studies including individuals from Cuba
Quote:
This project was supported by the Ministry of Public Health, Cuba...
Quote:
Here, we present an admixture analysis of a large sample comprising 1,019 individuals from the 16 provinces of Cuba.
Quote:
The participants came from all the provinces of Cuba, primarily from urban areas (77% vs. 23% from rural areas).
Quote:
The results of a two-way ANOVA and post-hoc tests indicate that the difference in African ancestry proportions between urban and rural areas is primarily driven by the higher African ancestry in individuals reporting to be “negro” living in urban areas vs. those living in rural areas. In contrast, the average Native American contribution in individuals self-reporting to be “negro” living in rural areas is higher than in those living in urban areas, and this is the main factor explaining the higher Native American ancestry in rural vs. urban areas.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Argentina, Uruguay, and Costa Rica (and very southernmost tip of Brazil) have generally the whitest populations of all Latin America.
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:08 PM

36 posts, read 19,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This is what it says in the link above regarding Cuba. Not once is there any mention that their samples came from the United States or elsewhere except Cuba. Also, that study is regarding an admixture DNA and the self-representation in Cuban censuses, so how can a Cuban living in say Miami participate in a census in Cuba? Plus, why would the Ministry of Public Health of Cuba be involved in a study if the participants were not living in Cuba? A person should read at least the beginning paragraphs of a study before having any opinions of it.
Lol just opinionated rubbish you're responding to I would ignore it.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:43 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Venezuela just dropped six zeroes from the Bolivar, making that a total of fourteen zeroes dropped. Five dropped in 2018, and three dropped by Chavez in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas