Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Are you even Colombian, really? From what I'm told you are Colombian-Unitedstatesian, or a Colombian who has lived all her life abroad.

Sure, very different landscape, urbanism, etc. As seen on these pictures. Pasto, Nariño:

Medellín:

I assume you were just joking but, in any case, the "sizeable black population" of Colombia (people with significative black ancestry are like 30% of the population of the country, people with predominant black ancestry aren't even 5% of the population) are mostly in the Coast. The Colombian Andes are predominantly Mestizo and Indigenous, excluding a few areas. Afrocolombian population as a % of the population of every municipaliy of the country:
you're not understanding... I am paisa, we are VERY DIFFERENT culturally from people from Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia!!!

Pasto and medellin might have similar architecture BECAUSE ITS THE SAME COUNTRY! but the cultures are different, colombia is a nation composed of sub-nations!

sort of like Jacksonville and Cleveland have similarities in their architecture, same country, not necessarily same culture, one florida the other one great lakes!

Last edited by Irene-cd; 01-27-2015 at 02:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Are you even Colombian, really? From what I'm told you are Colombian-Unitedstatesian, or a Colombian who has lived all her life abroad.

Sure, very different landscape, urbanism, etc. As seen on these pictures. Pasto, Nariño:

Medellín:

I assume you were just joking but, in any case, the "sizeable black population" of Colombia (people with significative black ancestry are like 30% of the population of the country, people with predominant black ancestry aren't even 5% of the population) are mostly in the Coast. The Colombian Andes are predominantly Mestizo and Indigenous, excluding a few areas. Afrocolombian population as a % of the population of every municipaliy of the country:
the Colombian andes are not predominantly indigenous!! (YOU'RE SERIOUSLY DELUDED!)

Indigenous make only about 2% of the colombian population and live vastly in the Darien jungle region of Choco and Antioquia and they are called Kuna

in the highlands of Cauca you find another kind of indigenous called Paez!!!

and in the Amazon rainforest you find Yanomamis

on the Guajira desert you find arawak or tainos

none of them inca!!! (ecuador, peru, bolivia)

as a Paisa I feel no closeness or connection to Ecuador, peru or bolivia....

Old 01-27-2015, 02:50 AM

ANDEAN INCANS

THE INDIGENOUS OF COLOMBIA
VASTLY IN THE AMAZON RAINFOREST, AND IN THE NORTH
NEITHER OF THEM INCANS OR ANDEAN PEOPLES!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Why can't both of you be right? Perhaps 'Andean' can't really describe all of Colombia culturally, but it is clear that it does share that geographic synchronicity with Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and to a lesser extent Venezuela.

I find it interesting how unpopulated (at least from large towns/cities point of view), the interiors of these countries, east of the Andes, are.
that is not a map of the Andes, that is a map of a political entity of trading called the CAN

this is the Andes

Old 01-27-2015, 02:59 AM

so yes I can safely say the country we share more similarities with (even though politically we're at odds) it;s venezuela!!

far more than with peru, or bolivia or ecuador or the andean peoples!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:00 PM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
you're not understanding... I am paisa, we are VERY DIFFERENT culturally from people from Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia!!!

Pasto and medellin might have similar architecture BECAUSE ITS THE SAME COUNTRY! but the cultures are different, colombia is a nation composed of sub-nations!
you could say that both cities (Pasto and Medellin) might have similar cultures because it's the same country, too.

And, certainly, you will find much more Paisas and Paisa influence in Pasto than in Puerto Rico. Paisas colonized all the way up to Cartago, Valle del Cauca. And they are everywhere in the country. You won't find a "tienda del paisa" in San Juan, PR. You will find dozens in Pasto.

Quote:
sort of like Jacksonville and Cleveland have similarities in their architecture, same country, not necessarily same culture, one florida the other one great lakes!
Invalid analogy. The distance from Cleveland to Jacksonville is twice the distance Medellín-Pasto. And Jacksonville and Cleveland belong to totally different ecosystems.

I forgot to say that the analogy of Austria and France is invalid too. Neither Austria nor France have 3/4 of their population living in the Alps.

Quote:
the Colombian andes are not predominantly indigenous!! (YOU'RE SERIOUSLY DELUDED!)
I didn't say that, I said that Colombian Andes are predominantly Mestizo (European-Indigenous mix) and Indigenous, and the African component is smaller, and it's true. See:

Except for Antioquia, in the remaining areas of the Colombian Andes, the indigenous component is at least twice as big as the African one.
Quote:
Indigenous make only about 2% of the colombian population
That 2% corresponds only to the people that identify themselves as indigenous (people that belongs to a resguardo, speaks an indigenous language, etc). But the genetic input of indigenous people as a % of the total is much bigger.

what you said about Guajira and the Amazon shows me again that you aren't well acquainted with Colombia. The Yanomamis aren't a Colombian tribe, but a Venezuelan-Brazilian one. And the indigenous tribe with the largest population in Colombia are the wayúus of the Guajira, which you didn't mention. Instead you mentioned arawak, which is a linguistic group from the Caribbean basin, and the tainos, which were an indigenous tribe of Cuba, the DR, Puerto Rico and other places, not Colombia.

Southwestern Colombia has a large Quechua influence.

Quote:
so yes I can safely say the country we share more similarities with (even though politically we're at odds) it;s venezuela!!

maybe you do. I'm from the Altiplano cundiboyacense and I feel 1000 times more related to Ecuador, Peru or even Bolivia than to Venezuela. And Paisa or Cundiboyacense accent is quite different from Venezuela accent. Costeño accent is more related.

most Colombians living in the States are in Florida and New York/New Jersey. So, it doesn't surprise me that you feel more related to Caribbean countries, since most Hispanic immigrants on these places are Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, etc.

but even people from the Uraba (a Caribbean region with a lot of Afrocolombians, at the border with Panama), don't identify themselves as "Paisas", even being part of the same department as them (Antioquia). How could other people from Caribbean countries feel related to Paisas? Paisa culture is related to "cultura montañera" and growing coffee, does coffee grow at the Caribbean lowlands?

Quote:
again, what Andean peoples? The biggest cities in Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia, are Guayaquil, Lima and Santa Cruz, respectively. Neither is an Andean city. Lima is by far the biggest metro area of Peru, 10 times more populated than the second city of the country.

most "Andean people" live in Colombia: 35 million people. That's way more than the Andean population of Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador together. It doesn't matter what stereotype of the Andean people you may have, Colombia is the Andean country par antonomasia.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:31 PM

346 posts, read 646,928 times
I think Monterrey and Guadalajara are underrated here.

I am not surprised that Santo Domingo rates highly for the Caribbean. I think Dominican-American remittances also make a huge difference.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 AM

listen

colombia has the andes, we also have the amazon rainforest, the orinoco plains, caribean coast, pacific coast.... we're not just andeans

I am from the coffee region and I know my people and my culture well, we don't even feel close to bogota much less we're going to feel close to the incans and peru chile and ecuatorians! especially since we're ethnically so different!!!

I said colombia is in the north of south america (Which it is) and you started to argue that I am wrong and colombia is more andean than peru, ecuador, bolivia....

I personally as a paisa don't feel any closeness to chile, peru, argentina, ecuador and all those andean countries.... I also don't feel close to puerto ricans (not in a million years)

yes colombia is in the north of south america, and yes colombia has the andes (also peru, argentina, chile, etc. do), yes we also have the rain forest like brazil, and we also have the caribbean like jamaica, cuba and so on.... and the pacific ocean like the US, Japan, Australia.... and the point is?

what we are not is traditional andes people, this you will not find in colombia, you won't hear quechua around colombia and we were not part of the andean incan empire (Tahuantinsuyo)

in fact colombia could easily be broken into six countries at least!!!!

and there is far more cultural difference between medellin and pasto than between jacksonville FL (shopping mall, suburbias) and cleveland OH (Shopping malls and suburbias)

Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 AM

oh and I don't live in the US

Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
I am from the coffee region and I know my people and my culture well, we don't even feel close to bogota much less we're going to feel close to the incans and peru chile and ecuatorians! especially since we're ethnically so different!!!
why do you use "we"?

Quote:
I said colombia is in the north of south america (Which it is) and you started to argue that I am wrong and colombia is more andean than peru, ecuador, bolivia....
exactly, Northern South America is Andean too.

I didn't say Colombia is only Andean, I'm aware of the different regions the country has. I said that Colombia is the country with the most people living in the Andes.

Quote:
what we are not is traditional andes people, this you will not find in colombia, you won't hear quechua around colombia and we were not part of the andean incan empire (Tahuantinsuyo)
again, you are appealing to stereotypes and commonplaces. That's like if some European said that you aren't South American because you don't live in a tree eating bananas. Someone doesn't need to have Quishpe surname and ride a llama to be Andean.

Quote:
and there is far more cultural difference between medellin and pasto than between jacksonville FL (shopping mall, suburbias) and cleveland OH (Shopping malls and suburbias)
Shopping malls and suburbias are present on any city of the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas