Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times

Advertisements

I know some Latin American countries have sizable populations of Asian ancestry (mostly Chinese and Japanese, and other groups too), and some have even had leaders of Asian-ancestry (Alberto Fujimori of Peru). I think the most well known community are the Brazilian Japanese or Japanese Brazilians, largely concentrated in Sao Paulo. I believe Brazil has the largest or second largest overseas community of Japanese in the world.

I'm curious as to how much they are integrated into mainstream Hispanic society in general, and how much it varies by country. While some speak their ancestral tongue, it seems most speak Spanish or Portuguese at home, and of course in public.etc. How often do they intermarry with non-Asian Hispanics? For anyone with any experience, how do they compare with say Japanese Americans or Japanese Canadians? I believe in California, for instance, about 50% of Japanese Americans marry outside their ethnicity.

Also, how are Asians or people of Asian appearance (whether they be westerners) generally viewed in Latin America? Both East/SE and South Asians? Is there any racism/prejudice towards them? Or perhaps resentment towards them because they are economically more privileged than the majority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM

701 posts, read 1,564,453 times
I can only talk from my grandma's perspective. She grew up in San Pedro and then went to college in Santo Domingo. In her experience, Asians were pretty well integrated and also married other mixed and Black Dominicans. They have a nickname ("Chino") like every other race and skin color. When I visited the DR this past summer, I noticed Asian Hispanics often owning little Pico Pollo (fried chicken) restaurants and they spoke with the same loud and nasal accents that everyone else had. Unfortunately, I can't answer your last two questions, though I am curious about them myself.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 AM

81 posts, read 237,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know some Latin American countries have sizable populations of Asian ancestry (mostly Chinese and Japanese, and other groups too), and some have even had leaders of Asian-ancestry (Alberto Fujimori of Peru). I think the most well known community are the Brazilian Japanese or Japanese Brazilians, largely concentrated in Sao Paulo. I believe Brazil has the largest or second largest overseas community of Japanese in the world.

I'm curious as to how much they are integrated into mainstream Hispanic society in general, and how much it varies by country. While some speak their ancestral tongue, it seems most speak Spanish or Portuguese at home, and of course in public.etc. How often do they intermarry with non-Asian Hispanics? For anyone with any experience, how do they compare with say Japanese Americans or Japanese Canadians? I believe in California, for instance, about 50% of Japanese Americans marry outside their ethnicity.

Also, how are Asians or people of Asian appearance (whether they be westerners) generally viewed in Latin America? Both East/SE and South Asians? Is there any racism/prejudice towards them? Or perhaps resentment towards them because they are economically more privileged than the majority?

Japanese brazilians are pretty well integrated I think, especially the younger generation....most people don't even see them as japanese, they're just brazilian.....I think the chinese are more reserved though, and it's not uncommon to see them speaking in their native tongue in public, even the young ones......in general, asians in Brazil are seen as people, just like anybody else.......it's not a big deal......and what do you mean with "more privileged than the majority" ?? You mean in their own countries our in LA countries? The chinese here seem to lead a pretty modest life, far from "privileged".....the japanese are typical middle class......nothing extraordinary.....

Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,961 times
In Buenos Aires (where the biggest comunity of Asians is in Arg) i would say that Asians arent completely integrated to the argentinian culture, though they are getting more integrated year after year. Theres a phenomenon here with Asians that i dont know if it happens in other countries: the asian supermarkets (here we called them "supermercado chino"). Basically, in BA (and other places in argentina, but mostly BA), there are the big supermarket chains (carrefour, etc) and the supermercado chino. There are zillions of them, for example, just in my block, there are 4 supermercados chinos. There are A LOT of them in the city, you would be surprised, hundreds and hundreds. It seems that asians come here and put supermarkets. I dont know how this really works but i think i ve read somewhere that there is an organization for this, some goverment lending people money to open their own supermarket?? I dont know, but its pretty much established that almost every supermarket in the city, that isnt a big chain, it is a supermercado chino.

For what i see, mostly the asians owning/working in this places, speak their languaje, and seem to listen to their music, and are often not very friendly or trying to interact with argentinians. BUT, this is changing. One of the guys on one of my blocks supermarkets, he is asian, but he learned all the typical argentinian slang, so when you go there he goes "HOLA/CHE/AMIGO" wich are all typical words argentinian use. He speaks perfect spanish, but mostly he speaks perfect argentinian slang, with a huge asian accent, lol, he is not only funny but one of the nicest dudes ever. He is one of the friendliest people on my neigbhourhood, including argentinians.

Mostly, though, asians seem reserved and not very friendly, but, like i said, it might be cause our culture is so so different from theirs and they feel they have to relate only to other asian people living here. But i also think this is changning from what im seeing.

We also have a chinese town in BA, wich is great, all this amazing restaurants and places to buy cool stuff, i love going there! And they celebrate all the chinese festivities and everything. We also have the "japanese garden" a beautiful private place by the woods in where you have restaurants/the typical japanese garden/and japanese festivities".
Other thing asians do here are those food-take-out places, and also restaurants. There are millions of asian take out places and asian restaurants here in BA.

The asian comunity here is pretty huge and growing and i wish asians will be more integrated to argentinain culture just like this awesome asian dude on my block chinese restaurant is

Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 AM

81 posts, read 237,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Theres a phenomenon here with Asians that i dont know if it happens in other countries: the asian supermarkets (here we called them "supermercado chino"). Basically, in BA (and other places in argentina, but mostly BA), there are the big supermarket chains (carrefour, etc) and the supermercado chino. There are zillions of them, for example, just in my block, there are 4 supermercados chinos. There are A LOT of them in the city, you would be surprised, hundreds and hundreds. It seems that asians come here and put supermarkets. I dont know how this really works but i think i ve read somewhere that there is an organization for this, some goverment lending people money to open their own supermarket?? I dont know, but its pretty much established that almost every supermarket in the city, that isnt a big chain, it is a supermercado chino.
In Brazil something similar happens, but they're not supermarkets, they open these snack places that we call "pastelarias" or simply "chinas"......the same rumour about a "secret organization" funding them exist with these places.......they're not exactly famous for their hygiene, but not many people seem to care cause they're still very popular.....

Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Interesting to hear that there are so many oriental supermarkets in BA, Sophie. There are many here, too. Actually in the past few years I've noticed a profusion of Korean supermarkets: which has introduced me to a lot of interesting Korean snacks and drinks.

The Asians are probably reserved because it's a relatively new community (I assume), and many are probably there mainly for economic reasons? It's a pity they aren't integrating, but no doubt, like what happens in every other country their children, who grow up among Argentines and go to school with them (and if they're born in Argentina they are Argentinians I assume) will form the first generation of Asian Argentines.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM

210 posts, read 566,167 times
It depends on the country. Some Asians have been in Latin America since the late 1800's/early 1900's to build the railroads (I'm Cuban and know this is the case for Cuba). Asian Cubans are pretty integrated; there is however a Chinatown in Havana. Many Asians in Cuba aren't pure, a lot intermarried with the blacks & whites. Also, Cuba's Asian population never passed 1%... My mom who is white thinks one of her grandparents was Chinese. I know a Cuban doctor who is half Chinese Cuban and half Spanish Cuban and he looks white. They're very respected by other Cubans! Along with white Cubans, many Asian and Jewish Cubans fled after Castro took over, dwindling their numbers further. Brazil and Peru also have very historic Asian communities too. Unlike Cuba though which mainly received Chinese Asians, the Japanese are more important in Brazil & Peru. However, you have the recent Asian immigrants in places like Mexico and Argentina that probably aren't well integrated at all.

Last edited by Slam4444; 08-24-2012 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 07:47 PM

3,996 posts, read 6,813,074 times
The Japanese are totally integrated in the Brazilian society.

Most Japanese immigrants arrived in Brazil more than 50 years ago, so they have children and grandchildren born in Brazil. Their level of mixed marriages with non-Asians is high.

The Chinese and the Koreans arrived in Brazil more recently, many of them are first generation yet. Their level of integration is lower than the Japanese.

The Japanese are many times called by the affectuous nickname of "Japa". And the Chinese are many times called by the affectuous nickname of "China". Since they all look the same from the point of view of most Brazilians, it's not rare that a Japanese is mistakenly called "China" or a Chinese is mistakenly called "Japa". The Koreans are often called "China" or "Japa"

Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
It depends on the country. Some Asians have been in Latin America since the late 1800's/early 1900's to build the railroads (I'm Cuban and know this is the case for Cuba). Asian Cubans are pretty integrated; there is however a Chinatown in Havana. Many Asians in Cuba aren't pure, a lot intermarried with the blacks & whites. Also, Cuba's Asian population never passed 1%... My mom who is white thinks one of her grandparents was Chinese. I know a Cuban doctor who is half Chinese Cuban and half Spanish Cuban and he looks white. They're very respected by other Cubans! Along with white Cubans, many Asian and Jewish Cubans fled after Castro took over, dwindling their numbers further. Brazil and Peru also have very historic Asian communities too. Unlike Cuba though which mainly received Chinese Asians, the Japanese are more important in Brazil & Peru. However, you have the recent Asian immigrants in places like Mexico and Argentina that probably aren't well integrated at all.
True. Many are not aware that aside from Europeans and Africans, plenty of Asians - both E.Asians and S.Asians, added to the cultural potpurri in the Americas. Much of Jamaican cuisine is indeed influenced by both Indian (the spices, curry-type dishes) and Chinese cuisine (oxtail soup, for instance).

Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 PM

506 posts, read 1,161,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

The asian comunity here is pretty huge and growing and i wish asians will be more integrated to argentinain culture just like this awesome asian dude on my block chinese restaurant is
How did you learn to speak English so well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas