Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,459,568 times

Advertisements

I'm going through all the bottles of wine that I own and trying to figure out what's worth keeping and what I should be tossing. Is there a website, software program or iPhone app that offers listings/info/reviews on a large selection of wines? I had a subscription to Wine Spectator...is it worth subscribing to it again in hopes of getting "some" info? Are they my best bet in regards to retrieving info?

Is there I guide I should be following based on the type of wine and vintage?

I'm going nuts here "googling" every bottle and trying to get information on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,732,043 times
Most likely, what you have isn't worth saving unless it is something you want to drink. I have yet to meet a person who happened to have a pricey/collectible bottle as a surprise - everyone with bottles of wine worth saving knew what they were doing when they bought them. If you didn't know what you were buying, most likely Wine Spectator isn't going to help you. (It's meant to help you choose what to buy NOW to drink in the future.) There is no quicky way of finding out, it's type of wine, plus vintage, maker/location. Instead of throwing them away, why don't you start giving them out as gifts?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 AM

10,228 posts, read 18,056,787 times
Everyone has different tastes in wine - my husband and I like completely different types of wines. He likes smooth wines, I like them crisp. So even reading someone else's reviews or ratings isn't necessarily going to tell you what is worth keeping and what is not.

But you should never just throw out a bottle of wine. I agree with the other suggestion of giving it away to someone else if you don't want it. But I think if you don't know what you like or don't like, why not just open a bottle and see if you like it? I mean, if you were planning on throwing it out anyway, why not just try it first? Then you'll know for sure whether you like it or not and you'll have a better idea of what you like and don't like for future purchases. Plus, you won't potentially be throwing something out based on someone else's opinion which may not be the same as yours.

That said, there are tons of wine social networking sites or wine diaries, reviews, etc. Here's just a few I know of, I'm pretty sure they're all free:

Cork'd Content
Snooth | Buy Wine Online - Wine Gifts, Ratings and Recommendations
OpenBottles
WineLog.net - Online Wine Community

Equally, there are several wine apps out there. Most are social but personally, I didn't want that - I just wanted a private log so I could keep track of what wines I like and don't. I'm not really interested in what other people think of a wine. My app is called "Wine Notes". One of the social websites above, Snooth, has their own free app with ratings and reviews so I'd probably go with that if I was looking for reviews from other people.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,605,365 times
Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but these are all pretty cool.

5 Must-Have iPhone Apps for Wine Lovers

Did someone say you were throwing wine away? Send it on over this way!

If I buy wine that I realize I don't like after the first bottle I just save it to cook with.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,246,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
But you should never just throw out a bottle of wine. I agree with the other suggestion of giving it away to someone else if you don't want it. But I think if you don't know what you like or don't like, why not just open a bottle and see if you like it?
Read my mind. Why on Earth throw out a perfectly good bottle of wine, never mind many?? That blows me away. Even if I knew I didn't like it, I'd keep it as a gift or to bring to a party etc. And pardon any offense, but if you don't even know if you'd like or not, tossing it seems to be about the very last thing one would do, while trying it would be the first. Heck that's half the fun of wines (trying new ones).

In fact, I'm gainfully unemployed so feel free to send them to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages