Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times

Advertisements

In terms of bang for the buck, Yuenling's Black and Tan. Nice drinkable and inexpensive beer.

If I care less about cost, Becks or Moosehead for a straightforward lager/ale kinda thing. Petes Summer ale is also good. And Fat Tire is great, but once in awhile I get a "bad batch" so I've cooled on it.

Sam Adams has some good varieties but I don't like their regular lager at all. Like most of their winter "variety (12) pack."

Flying Dog's stuff is very good too.

And of course anything English. Their food is pathetic but they know their beer.

I rarely buy Guinness, which I'm sure is on some lists. No complaints really, but it's not consistent and I've just never been impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
I don't drink at all, but I will take a sip or two of the beer that my husband brews. He's got it goin' on!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't drink at all, but I will take a sip or two of the beer that my husband brews. He's got it goin' on!
I would pay REALLY good money to see you drunk. Seriously. I'd use my CareCredit

I've never had a drop of alcohol in my entire life. Never have, never will.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,006,141 times
Basically Coors Lite in the summer, fall well I like all the Octoberfest brews, Winter...Red Hook's Winterhook, spring...since it's still cold here a heavy brew.
But then again, depending on my everchanging mood re food and brew...Negro Modelo, Red Strip, and if I get the chance to be at a pub...well if it's St.Pattys day then Black and Tan...and the list goes on.
HW

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I would pay REALLY good money to see you drunk. Seriously. I'd use my CareCredit

I've never had a drop of alcohol in my entire life. Never have, never will.
I feel drunk at the SMELL of alcohol. I'd be a hot mess if I were truly drunk.

You're a good girl.

Now we'd better stop hijacking Joey's thread before he bops us on the head with a beer bottle.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
It has been a long time since I had a Black and Tan. Matter of fact, I don't recall seeing them around this area. I've been here less than a year. I do agree it's a good bang for the buck. Honey Brown is a similar quality yet cheaper beer.

I also like Woodchuck and Hornsby draft cider. But on any given day I'm partial to Mexican beers like Modelo, Carte Blanco, Sol, Dos Equis, Tecate, and the ever popular Corona. All served with lime or Twang , of course.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,191,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
... I rarely buy Guinness, which I'm sure is on some lists. No complaints really, but it's not consistent and I've just never been impressed.
While on a family trip to the ancestral lands (Éire) I had many opportunities to sample the native Guinness and it is wonderful. Different than the draft stout I enjoyed at Gaffney's Emerald Isle Room in Washington DC. The proprietor at one pub explained to me that there were four different formulations of the brew. One for domestic consumption, one for Britain, one for the Continent, and one for the US, due to content laws. He added that the US version was like "dirty dish water"

Now you've got me thinking about a cold bottle of Harp lager. Been a long time since I've had one and Gaffney's is long out of business

Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,191,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
... But on any given day I'm partial to Mexican beers like Modelo, Carte Blanco, Sol, Dos Equis, Tecate, and the ever popular Corona. All served with lime or Twang , of course.
You might also like a St. Pauli Girl or other similar German beers. German immigrants to the American southwest brought their brewing skills with them and taught the Mexicans their brewing methods. That's why Mexican Cervezas are very much like German brews. For a lighter but similar flavor try the Dutch beer Heineken.

Another German influenced brew is Tsingtao ("ching tow") from China. Again, very recognizable malty flavors

Old 05-25-2010, 06:31 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
You might also like a St. Pauli Girl or other similar German beers. German immigrants to the American southwest brought their brewing skills with them and taught the Mexicans their brewing methods. That's why Mexican Cervezas are very much like German brews. For a lighter but similar flavor try the Dutch beer Heineken.

Another German influenced brew is Tsingtao ("ching tow") from China. Again, very recognizable malty flavors
Thanks for the beer history! I didn't know that. Heineken is a staple, too. Tsingtao, I think I've at least heard of this beer. I'll try it soon.

Some people like trying different wines or spirits. I'm a beer connoisseur. I know that's strange for a female, lol.

I have one for you if you like Heineken. Try Peroni is a similar Italian beer. I wish I was exposed to more Italian beers.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,441 times
Natty Ice. Only $5 a 12-pack!

...JK folks, I don't drink, but my ex did (a LOT) and this was his choice of 'highbrow' brew. Blecch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages