Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,153,865 times

Advertisements

We're having a bowl party Thursday night (Go Hokies!), but since it will run late, thought I should have some champagne on hand in case people want to stay until midnight. Personally I like Ballatore, but I'm not sure a lot of folks consider that champagne. Any recommendations for a crowd? And let me know if it's dry, semi-sweet, etc. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,609,747 times
Personally, I don't like champagne but I do like prosecco. It's an Italian sparkling wine with the same kind of cork as champagne (so you get that fun pop). Somehow it tastes better and isn't as "prickly" as champagne. Plus, it's inexpensive - perfect for a crowd! We had Lunetta prosecco last week (and a couple others but the names elude me now). All were quite palatable and none were too sweet. Have fun at your party!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
We're having a bowl party Thursday night (Go Hokies!), but since it will run late, thought I should have some champagne on hand in case people want to stay until midnight. Personally I like Ballatore, but I'm not sure a lot of folks consider that champagne. Any recommendations for a crowd? And let me know if it's dry, semi-sweet, etc. Thanks so much!
Nothing special but cheap and quite serviceable: Frexinet (I know Frexinet comes in both brut as well as extra dry--as you probably know, brut is drier)

I tried an inexpensive and very good French champagne not long ago, I can't remember the name but "Touraine" (a place in the Loire Valley) was prominent on the label. It did not cost more then $10. I wish I had saved the label. Maybe a well-stocked liquor store would have it.

One of my favorites. It used to be much less expensive, but its still usually under $30.
Nicolas Feuillatte

Your best bet might be a sparkling wine from California.
Iron Horse, Mumm's, Roederer, Domaine Chandon are all $25 or far less, and taste fine. They tend to be on the dry side. There is Korbel, too.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 10,929 times
I really like Luna Di Luna Sparkling wine which about $12 and very light - not too sweet and not to dry.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,840,457 times
I enjoy sparking wines...I serve a spumante by Asti or Cinzano. They are both good quality spumantes... they run about 10$ a bottle, very good price. they are semi sweet, but not cheap sweet.

just let ev everyone kno rthat your serving a spumante or sparkling wine...dont call it Champagne

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,099 times
Barefoot.... makes some good sparkling wines- reasonable price too.
Champagne is just to expensive.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,314,056 times
Pleasantly surprised at how good 'Yellowtail Bubbly' was, trying it a short time ago. Fairly inexpensive also, around the $13 mark.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,806,430 times
For me (and, I suspect, most of everyone else) the difference between the stuff in the Kirkland Signature magnum and a $100 bottle of the shee-shee, whosey-whatsey champagne is completely lost. Lets face it, you're watching the Hokies... Ridiculous expenditure is not necessary nor will it be particularly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:51 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,099 times
There's Pink Champagne Sorbet Ice Cream from Maggie Moo's

NEW FLAVOR! Pink Champagne Sorbet (http://www.maggiemoos.com/ice_cream___treats/Flavors___Mix_Ins/NEW_Flavor_/ - broken link)

Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,197,713 times
Heard this interesting piece on APM's Marketplace radio program last night. A discussion of "Prosecco" stirs passions. Read or listen to the story. 3 1/2 minutes:

Champagne's bubble bursts | Marketplace From American Public Media (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/12/29/pm-champagne/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages