Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,740,089 times

Advertisements

New federal labels may tell us more than we want to know.

EVER wonder what goes into a bottle of wine? The story winemakers love to tell on the bottle label is one of a mystical alchemy of climate, soils, ancient practices and long traditions. Wine labels tend to focus on romance; the small amount of government-mandated information includes the percentage of alcohol, a warning against consuming wine when pregnant or driving, and a disclosure of sulfites.

It might be disenchanting if the label also listed the chicken, fish, milk and wheat products that are often used to process wine. And it would be hard to maintain the notion that wine is an ethereal elixir if, before uncorking, consumers read that their Pinot Noir or Syrah contained Mega Purple (a brand of concentrated wine color), oak chips or such additives as oak gall nuts, grape juice concentrate, tartaric acid, citric acid, dissolved oxygen, copper and water. The mention of bentonite, ammonium phosphate and the wide variety of active enzymes used to make some wines would end the romance.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-wine28mar28%2C0%2C2778959.story?track=mostemailedl ink (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:16 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,120,944 times
Snippet from the article:
For all of the posturing about terroir, very little wine sells because it is distinctive," Smith says. "Additives are cosmetics. They are supposed to enhance, improve a wine. [Wine enhanced this way is like] a beautiful woman whose makeup is invisible. It's the clumsiness of the winemaker who is using the additives that is the problem." Those wines end up tasting "tarted up," he says, instead of improved.

McCloskey of Enologix sums it up. "A great wine is obvious. It doesn't need any additives."

However, any winemaker who doesn't control what's happening in his vineyard is using additives in his wine, McCloskey says. "When you can't create the value in the vineyard, you have no choice but to create it in the winery.

"The industry lives and breathes on the story of being a natural product. But there is a lot of fast food in wine.
"

The problem with listing additives, says Lee, the Wine Institute general counsel, is it could change consumer perception of all wines. "Wine would look engineered instead of natural," he says.

Yes, we already must read about sulfites and be told that women should not drink wine if they are pregnant. If we need to be told about allergies and calorie, fat and carbohydrate counts, there won't be enough room on the bottle for all of the information.
Not long ago I read a book called Judgment of Paris. It was about the birth of California winemaking, when back in the 70's some young vintners took their product to Paris where it won recognition in a blind tasting.
It was interesting reading about the various techniques and trends in wine production, such as fining, especially when you compare and contrast what is done from country to country. As in any industry, there are is the "old school" and the upstarts, though the two are not necessarily older/younger generations. Viticulture looks difficult but rewarding. Marketing is another story.
I suppose that I wish we could keep a bit of romance in wine, rather than have it be treated so clinically.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,171,116 times
I like that sentence, "I suppose that I wish we could keep a bit of romance in wine, rather than have it be treated so clinically."

Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,144,707 times
Killjoy!

What next? Dark chocolate isn't good for my heart???

Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 AM

68,387 posts, read 54,647,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Killjoy!

What next? Dark chocolate isn't good for my heart???

Dark chocolate enjoyed with a good red wine is VERY good for your soul

Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,120,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Dark chocolate enjoyed with a good red wine is VERY good for your soul
Mmmmm good.
Years ago I read some little blurb some place that declared that wine and chocolate do no go together. Yeah, right.
I'll take a small port with my dark chocolate mousse layer cake, please.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM

68,387 posts, read 54,647,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Mmmmm good.
Years ago I read some little blurb some place that declared that wine and chocolate do no go together. Yeah, right.

It was one of those little reminders to me that there are many things worth trying even if the initial thought is Nah!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:53 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,677,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It might be disenchanting if the label also listed the chicken, fish, milk and wheat products that are often used to process wine. And it would be hard to maintain the notion that wine is an ethereal elixir if, before uncorking, consumers read that their Pinot Noir or Syrah contained Mega Purple (a brand of concentrated wine color), oak chips or such additives as oak gall nuts, grape juice concentrate, tartaric acid, citric acid, dissolved oxygen, copper and water. The mention of bentonite, ammonium phosphate and the wide variety of active enzymes used to make some wines would end the romance.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-wine28mar28%2C0%2C2778959.story?track=mostemailedl ink (broken link)
A lot of that stuff is just coloring. Animal products are probably used less, now that synthetic clarifying agents are available - these are things that are added to clear murkiness in the finished product that people don't like. Bentonite is just a kind of clay, also used to clarify the wine.

I heard a bad story about them putting propylene glycol in wine. This is a chemical, similar to that used in antifreeze, but much less toxic, that's added to some cheap wines to improve the "mouth." That, I'd object to.

Tartaric acid and its salts are found naturally in wine. In fact, potassium hydrogen tartrate, or "Cream of Tartar", was the compound that Louis Pasteur first observed the phenomenon known as "optical activity" in. He noticed that the crystals at the bottom of the wine vat came in two kinds - mirror images of one another. He sorted them out with a pair of forceps, dissolved each in water, and found that they rotated polarized light, in opposite directions.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:58 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,677,584 times
Default Oops

Actually, it was sodium ammonium tartrate, of synthetic origin. Natural tartaric acid is all of one type, it's only the synthetic that exhibits the behavior I described.

[open mouth; insert foot]

Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 AM

89 posts, read 369,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Mmmmm good.
Any left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages