Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:20 PM

34,303 posts, read 18,684,055 times

Advertisements

Maybe start out with drinking beer or have a glass of wine. Light beer has the lowest alcohol content and least amount of flavor, but it would be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 03:51 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,923,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnabraham View Post
DAMN!!!!!!! U sound like a REAL GURU
Not really. I have a sincere appreciation for spirits, and I'm a huge fan of bourbon and gin, but I don't know much about wine.

Quote:
Another silly question.. Do U recommend to stay on the same drink, like for example if I am having Vodka, is it ok to change the next round for Gin, Rum, Tequila or something else..
You're young and inexperienced; only way to get experience is to try different things. That said, I'm a big believer in having a 'signature drink'.
If I sit down at a bar, I don't even think about it - I order a Wild Turkey. Sometimes straight up, sometimes on the rocks, just depends on my mood.

That's my drink. It's not the best bourbon in the world, but it's very good, and any bar worthy of their cocktail napkins will have it.

That wasn't always my drink. Before that it was Bombay Sapphire and Tonic. Still a damn fine drink, I just got tired of it after a few years I guess and I developed a serious interest in bourbon.

I know a guy that actually had 'his' martini recipe printed up on business cards, and he just hands them to bartenders. It's a really basic extra dry Sapphire martini, it would take 3 seconds to just say what he wanted, but he's kind of pretentious guy, and it's kind of funny.

Anyway, so that's your goal; get a drink to call your own. And it's sort of like getting married in that you're going to want to play the field a bit first.

Just take it easy. 1 drink an hour is a good guide, and I woudn't do more than 3 anyway, just because you'll have a hard time remembering what you liked/disliked.

Quote:
I understnad that you mentioned some name of the drinks, but any other famous drinks ( Recipes) that typically guys like to prefer..

Thanks for your help..
There was a Dewer's ad that I saw on the back of a magazine years ago - I've looked everywhere for it, because it was such an excellent summation of everything I feel about drinking. Dewar's was trying to target affluent 20-something guys.

It looks like a fairly classy bar, maybe at a nice hotel. The picture is focused on the bartender; an older guy - short cropped gray hair, bow tie, bar towel over his shoulder, looking right at you. He's got a look on his face like 'Prove to me you're not the snot-nosed punk that I think you are'. And the caption was "Are you really going to tell this guy to give you a screaming orgasm?"

I think that's just about perfect. Anytime I hear "I can't even taste the alcohol!" I just want to shoot someone. How disrespectful. Would you eat a filet mignon and exclaim that you can't even taste the beef? Why are you drinking? First of all, ethanol is tasteless, but have some respect for the drink.

Almost any liquor store these days has those little hotel/airplane bottles. They're expensive compared to a regular sized bottle, but you can get a really nice variety without spending a fortune. That's what I'd do. Pick up some of those bottles, some mixers, maybe invite some friends over and see what you like.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:20 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,310,421 times
We used to pop a few vitamin B 12s before going out. I am convinced they kept me from a miserable day the day after.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,808,601 times
Two things:

Cheap booze isn't distilled as well as the more expensive stuff, and it tends to have more of the nasty things (like methanol) that give you hangovers. You don't have to buy the top of the line bottle, but if you stay away from the cheapest bottle in the store, you'll probably feel better the next day.

Sweet drinks are dangerous......they make it easy to drink too much, and all the extra sugar dehydrates you, which adds to your hangover the next day.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 AM

83 posts, read 290,398 times
My favorite REALLY smooth drink is Firefly vodka and water. That is what I order 99% of the time.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM

42,017 posts, read 75,423,585 times
Don't feel bad; we were all beginners once. My first cocktail of choice was a sloe gin fizz. *bleah* I don't recommend it! LOL Too sweet. Now I'm into beer and wine, bourbon on occasion.

My advice would be to keep it simple; bourbon and water or soda, maybe with a lime, etc., and lots of ice. Avoid the cheapo liquor, otherwise you won't learn to enjoy the taste of the liquor itself. Experiment, but while you're doing so drink plenty of water; dehydration is a hangover's friend!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM

27,399 posts, read 27,449,310 times
That should be pretty simple. Order what you like, drink in moderation and viola....no hangover next day!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,518,412 times
What Livewire said. And don't be afraid to drink a glass of water for each serving of alcohol. I have only had a hangover once (after many, many drunken college nights), and I think that is the reason - staying hydrated.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,955,681 times
Hmmm......"guy" drinks:

Beer -- microbrews are better, lite is fine for "beginners"
Manhattans
Vodka tonic or vodka soda with lime
Whiskey and coke
Tequila

Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM

952 posts, read 944,969 times
Hi,

Can somebody give me tips of what good drinks should a guy order at the bar without a fear of hangover.

thanks

uh.......I can't recommend a pitcher of Tequila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages