Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 12:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We entertain often and as a non drinker I’m really not sure what to stock.
We are ok with our wine selection and simple stocks like vodka’s, tequila’s and a few well drink items but I’m lacking on upper shelf whiskey’s, single malts and a few other items like that.

I recently went to an alcohol store and one of the single malts cost $325.
That was way out of the price range I wanted to spend.
Preferably I’d like to spend less than $100 but might go a bit over that on something special.

Could any of you suggest something in my price range?
I come from a wine family and one thing they like to brag about is an under priced gem of a wine that they just picked up.
Are there any of these when it comes to distilled spirits, maybe in a micro craft situation?

And last but not least is there any over the top top shelf single malts or what nots that I should just not do without ?

Thank you.
Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 07:27 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
If they don't drink Bourbon, then they're not drinking at my place.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:33 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
My husband likes Crown Royal. I don't know if that's considered top shelf or not.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:33 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hello all,
We entertain often and as a non drinker I’m really not sure what to stock.
We are ok with our wine selection and simple stocks like vodka’s, tequila’s and a few well drink items but I’m lacking on upper shelf whiskey’s, single malts and a few other items like that.

I recently went to an alcohol store and one of the single malts cost $325.
That was way out of the price range I wanted to spend.
Preferably I’d like to spend less than $100 but might go a bit over that on something special.

Could any of you suggest something in my price range?
I come from a wine family and one thing they like to brag about is an under priced gem of a wine that they just picked up.
Are there any of these when it comes to distilled spirits, maybe in a micro craft situation?

And last but not least is there any over the top top shelf single malts or what nots that I should just not do without ?

Thank you.
Andy.
Calling a liquor store an alcohol store was telling. Don't try to stock a bar. That could cost thousands of dollars. If we didn't know, we would ask guests what they wanted to drink.

Old 12-11-2023, 11:49 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Interesting thread. I'm not a non-drinker but don't know much about hard liquor and wouldn't know where to begin if I wanted to stock a bar at home. Everyone has their favorite drink/brand so you'll never please everyone. If I were to do this I'd probably buy mid-price products across the board. At least you won't be getting absolute swill.

So many choices, especially when it comes to beer. You may want to consider some selections of beer & wine for people that can't tolerate hard liquor.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:06 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
You can go way over the top on just about anything. The most expensive single-malt I've ever seen cost in the thousands. It sounds like you don't want to go there, and I don't blame you. So I'd suggest not trying to bother with single-malts at all.

They may all come from Scotland, but they can be vastly different: a Highlands malt is not the same as a Lowlands malt, which is not the same as a Speyside malt, which is not the same as a Islay malt, and so on. And Scotch drinkers do have preferences. For example, I'm rather fond of Islays, but my father (who did enjoy Scotch) couldn't stand them, and wouldn't accept an Islay if it was offered. He would, however, be happy with whatever blend you had. So keep it simple: if you have Scotch-drinking friends, they will probably be happy with a blend such as Johnnie Walker Red or Black, or Grant's, or Dewar's. If you want to get a little fancier, go for Chivas Regal.

And you can follow that rule for pretty much any whiskey: Bourbon, Rye, Canadian, and so on. Go for the familiar, even though it may not be top shelf.

For that matter, I'd suggest keeping it simple with other spirits. Remember, a lot of other spirits are mixed, so the quality need not be top shelf, especially if the mix tends to compete with, if not overpower, the spirit. Beefeater, Gordon's, and Tanqueray are perfectly fine gins to mix with bitter-tasting tonic water; Bacardi Rum goes just fine with sweet Coke; Smirnoff vodka is tasteless so it mixes with nearly everything. As a friend says, "If you're going to add tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, salt, and pepper, to make a Bloody Mary, it doesn't matter if you have the cheap vodka or the expensive one."

Keep it simple with spirits, beers, and wines that most people enjoy and that won't break the bank. If you're entertaining, remember that your guests are there primarily for the company, and not because you've got a bar stocked with top-shelf liquor. They'll be happy with whatever you have, as long as there is friendship and good company.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:59 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Stock? Naw, I’d buy little at a time and stuff that I consume the most. Maybe a bottle of a frequent family member. That would have been my Dad, but he bought the bottle and wanted us to keep it at the house for whenever he visited. He’s since passed on and we had it in the pantry for a few years. Then it was finally tossed.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,637,449 times
I don't drink spirits much but do occasionally. My personal favorites are rum and bourbon.

Last year we discovered Gosling's Bermuda Black Rum, it's very dark but smooth and delicious. Gosling also makes ginger beer, a mix of Gosling's Black Rum and ginger beer makes a drink called a Dark and Stormy.

Maker's Mark is good for bourbon.

Also Old Cavalier Bourbon Cream Liqueur is yummy, more of an after dinner drink.

Cheers

Old 12-19-2023, 07:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
If they don't drink Bourbon, then they're not drinking at my place.
My man.

When the youngins' ask me what bourbon taste like, I tell them it taste like America.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
My man.

When the youngins' ask me what bourbon taste like, I tell them it taste like America.
Same with rum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages