Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 03:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times

Advertisements

Cannot remember my last gin martini. Tito’s vodka, a little olive juice and 2 olives. Hold the vermouth, never could stride it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 11:49 PM

305 posts, read 212,929 times
I stand corrected. What I described is a wet martini, not a dry. I don’t understand those folks who only use a hint of vermouth. Aren’t you just drinking gin then? What am I missing?

As for vodka in a martini, I fail to understand the appeal, but god love ya if you do.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:10 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Cannot remember my last gin martini. Tito’s vodka, a little olive juice and 2 olives. Hold the vermouth, never could stride it.
That's not a martini. It's vodka and olive.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
You know how some people can't drink even one shot of tequila? That's how I am with gin. So no gin in any drink for me, ever. Besides being immediately drunk and not in a cute way, I feel awful the next day.

I can, however, easily drink vodka (and tequila but that's a story for another day). So I prefer a vodka martini, with a little bit of vermouth and three olives.

Dirty - a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Shaken, not stirred.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:15 PM

119 posts, read 58,922 times
Anyone a fan of Plymouth gin?

Old 03-09-2021, 03:49 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
What I don’t get is the vodka martini. My brother in law introduced me to Hendrick’s. I love this cocktail but I find that by the time I’ve had the second one it’s already too late.
Although I definitely prefer gin, vodka will do at a pinch. Another advantage with vodka is that it's more versatile than gin, generally. Whether using gin or vodka, I've lately been mixing my martinis less dry than I used to, because I don't like feeling knocked out after the very first one. With vodka martinis in particular, a higher proportion of vermouth makes it tastier.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:53 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
IDK, maybe it's just me but Martinis and Manhattans always taste better at a bar made by a good bartender.

At home I just prefer an ounce or 2 of Knob Creek over ice. But if I am going out for the evening I really look forward to a really good cocktail.
I think it's the ice. Bartenders have better ice on hand than most of us have at home.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:47 AM

164 posts, read 127,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
The iconic glass, the salty olive, the lemon peel, the cold clear liquid.

Nothing tastes better to this palate, so go make yourself one, if you like super boozy drinks:

2 oz gin
1 oz dry vermouth
4 dashes of orange bitters

Stir with ice in a mixing glass for 25 seconds.

Pull a martini glass from the freezer. Strain. Garnish with blue-cheese olive and freshly cut lemon peel. Both of those are a must.

Cocktails and mixology are mostly an American thing, and the dry martini is the US’s gift to the world.

Enjoy.
Ultimate drink. I really love it.
Thank you for sharing.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:05 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
I don’t know how you guys do it. I fancy myself a professional boozer because I like just about everything from absinthe and fine scotch to great craft beer and most classic cocktails, but I hate martinis. They are absolutely disgusting. Olives are nasty, gin is nasty unless it’s impossible to taste (Uptown Rocks from Bartesian, Aviation is a great drink, gimlet, etc.). I just can’t do martinis. Who knows, maybe one day, I usually have developed a taste for virtually everything under the sun but... can’t with this one.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:25 AM

305 posts, read 212,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I don’t know how you guys do it. I fancy myself a professional boozer because I like just about everything from absinthe and fine scotch to great craft beer and most classic cocktails, but I hate martinis. They are absolutely disgusting. Olives are nasty, gin is nasty unless it’s impossible to taste (Uptown Rocks from Bartesian, Aviation is a great drink, gimlet, etc.). I just can’t do martinis. Who knows, maybe one day, I usually have developed a taste for virtually everything under the sun but... can’t with this one.
I hated them for most of my life once I realized I was getting crappy vermouth and no orange bitters.

What you wrote above could've been me a year or two ago. Here are specific products that will help, and if you still don't like it, then maybe you just hate martinis.

Beefeater gin
Noilly Prat or Dolin's Dry Vermouth.
3-4 dashes of orange Angostura bitters.

Pearl's Blue Cheese Olives.

And don't forget a lemon peel. Essential.

(Follow original recipe in first post)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages