Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:49 AM

62,058 posts, read 87,760,434 times

Advertisements

^^^ lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM

16,744 posts, read 15,778,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right!

To tell you the truth, OP, I just can't TASTE the difference because either one taste like a liquid ice.
To get real taste of a beer - it should warm up for a bit after pulling them from the fridge or cooler in order to get the full flavor profile from the beer.
If you have a beer you want to taste, it should be above at least 43F not 35-38F as is served in the US.
To me, each one that I taste gets better as the beer warms up a bit...the flavors just get more distinct.

BUT: American lagers are only good ice cold since they have very little taste to begin with, so their suggested serving temperature is ice cold.
They are derided and disparaged as boring, bland, frat beer, barley soda, fizzy water and swill. The craft beer movement was born in part out of protest against them.
There is nothing really to taste or enjoy . Sorry.
I usually refer to all BMC (Bud/Miller/Coors) beers as either yellow fizzy water or horse urine in a bottle.

It is true that good flavorful craft beers like Irish Red, Anchor Steam, Octoberfest, etc., tend to taste better just a little warmer. Some darker beers, like porters and stouts, may be even better at ~50 degrees.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:52 PM

33,015 posts, read 36,575,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
In my parts, the best beer available is a lite. By lite I mean low carb, zero sugar. Alcohol is 4% (. It's becoming more and more popular.

P.S. elnina, I'm sorry to have to tell you this but we are going to have to shoot you - at dawn - on an empty stomach.

But you are right, warm beer usually taste - well, not so great.

There came a time when cold beers was not an option - like after a long hike in the bush in the hot sun. I did find one beer that was great warm. The lites I mention are not bad warm although I am used to them cold.
A cold, yellow, fizzy, beer after a long, hot, day in the sun is wonderful. You can only drink so much water.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 AM

10,045 posts, read 5,756,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisRoyalEminence View Post
Hmmmm.

All beer tastes about the same or similar to me, maybe I'm just drinking it wrong...
You're not drinking it wrong, you're probably just sampling a narrow portion of the bandwidth. Most "generic" beer is all based on the same style, namely pilsner lager -- Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Heineken, Corona, Labatt, Modelo Especial, Carlsberg, Dos Equis (green), Foster's, Hamm's, Schlitz, Tecate, Beck's -- all the same style. Some are done better than others, but they're all (slight) variations on the same style.

But drink one of those, then drink a Young's Double Chocolate Stout, then drink a Rodenbach Grand Cru, and tell us if you still think they all taste the same.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You're not drinking it wrong, you're probably just sampling a narrow portion of the bandwidth. Most "generic" beer is all based on the same style, namely pilsner lager -- Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Heineken, Corona, Labatt, Modelo Especial, Carlsberg, Dos Equis (green), Foster's, Hamm's, Schlitz, Tecate, Beck's -- all the same style. Some are done better than others, but they're all (slight) variations on the same style.

But drink one of those, then drink a Young's Double Chocolate Stout, then drink a Rodenbach Grand Cru, and tell us if you still think they all taste the same.
This is a good point. The styles I mentioned are also in sharp contrast to mass produced pilsner lagers.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:55 PM

802 posts, read 1,373,375 times
Both are terrible
I would have hard time drinking them even if i was dying of thirst.

Drink craft Beers people

Old 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM

36 posts, read 22,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
Both are terrible
I would have hard time drinking them even if i was dying of thirst.

Drink craft Beers people
Sam Adams? Some of them tasted good, some of them tasted a little strange to me.

I did like their strength.. Sam Adams was one I remember I actually FELT like I drank some beer.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,458,387 times
lol, Sam Adams is *not* a craft beer. They're the 9th biggest beer brewer in the US.

That said, it's hard to define "craft beer" as some are owned by InBev (single biggest beer brewer in the US, own Budweiser) but allowed to operate independently and actually ARE craft in quality and size. There's no clear definition, and it's pointless to argue over the semantics of it.

That's why you should only drink what you like and forget everyone else. We all don't like the same things, and should even begin to try. I encourage you to learn beer though and Try other things. Drinking Bud is like only eating one burger from McDonalds. Maybe you've tried some of their other offerings in-house, but there is a whole world of other things to eat out there. Maybe the cost/benefit doesn't fit (hard for me to go out and buy beer anymore, it's all so freaking expensive, which is why I brew my own at about $0.70/pint), but maybe you find something that grabs your attention in a way nothing else ever has.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM

10,045 posts, read 5,756,633 times
InBev isn't just the single biggest beer brewer in the US, they're the biggest in the world, by far. And that was true even before they acquired Anheiser-Busch.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
lol, Sam Adams is *not* a craft beer. They're the 9th biggest beer brewer in the US.

That said, it's hard to define "craft beer" as some are owned by InBev (single biggest beer brewer in the US, own Budweiser) but allowed to operate independently and actually ARE craft in quality and size. There's no clear definition, and it's pointless to argue over the semantics of it.

That's why you should only drink what you like and forget everyone else. We all don't like the same things, and should even begin to try. I encourage you to learn beer though and Try other things. Drinking Bud is like only eating one burger from McDonalds. Maybe you've tried some of their other offerings in-house, but there is a whole world of other things to eat out there. Maybe the cost/benefit doesn't fit (hard for me to go out and buy beer anymore, it's all so freaking expensive, which is why I brew my own at about $0.70/pint), but maybe you find something that grabs your attention in a way nothing else ever has.
That's about what it usually costs me to make beer, too. I buy ingredients when they are on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages