Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 03:56 PM

307 posts, read 363,807 times

Advertisements

Dear Booze,

I'm actually seeking a way to get to know you very well. At the time being I'm an extremely light drinker and don't consume any more than two bottles of beer whenever I hang out with friends at restaurants. Exactly how is it that I come into the know? I need a deeper knowledge of booze to where I can consume you more?

When at a social event I would need to be able to order liqueurs, beers, and wines with ease so my standing would seem more confident and I can impress friends, then be able to consume the vast amount of "shots" that my buddies do. At home when entertaining company it would certainly help if I knew the type of liquors or beers to suit each occasion. From my observations having the knowledge of booze makes you more sociable, gives more exposure to friendships, and enriches your manliness.

How do I get to this stage?

Sincerely,
2 beers or less.

Last edited by HighSpeed; 01-10-2016 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,902,982 times
Being able to consume vast amounts of shots is not a social skill you need to cultivate. Assuming you're male, pick one drink with liquor that isn't overly fussy (no umbrellas, no naughty names for the drink) that you can order when you go out. Whisky sour, Jack and Coke, something like that. Avoid anything with "tea" in the name unless you want to get hammered. Don't do shots if you can help it, limit drinks to one an hour and have some food at the same time.

Stocking the home bar: The basics would be vodka, Canadian whisky, bourbon, rum, and possibly tequila and brandy. To expand beyond basics: blended scotch, gin, coffee liqueur, orange liqueur. You can find drink recipe websites that let you enter the liquor you have on hand and tell you what drinks you can make. As you develop a taste for a specific kind of liquor, you can try the fancier versions. The ones you stock for entertaining should all be decent or popular brands...if it comes in a half-gallon plastic bottle, steer clear of it. Absolut or Skky vodka, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels are all things to stock. Rum...Bacardi is popular but I prefer an aged rum. For tequila, look for something that's 100% agave, or just buy Jose Cuervo.

Beer: just find a brand you prefer, and buy that one. Your friends will either drink what you have or bring their own.

Wine is more complicated.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Dear Booze,

1. At the time being I'm an extremely light drinker and don't consume any more than two bottles of beer whenever I hang out with friends at restaurants.

2. When at a social event I would need to be able to order liqueurs, beers, and wines with ease so my standing would seem more confident and I can impress friends, then be able to consume the vast amount of "shots" that my buddies do. At home when entertaining company it would certainly help if I knew the type of liquors or beers to suit each occasion.

3. From my observations having the knowledge of booze makes you more sociable, gives more exposure to friendships, and enriches your manhood.

1. Good. Stay that way.
2. If your friends consume vast quantities of shots, find new friends. This is beyond lame.
3. Pffffffffffffft bwah ha ha ha ha!

Doesn't sound like you want to cultivate this stupid habit for yourself. Sounds like you want to do it to impress other people.
Lesson one of being a grown-up: Don't ever do anything to impress other people.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:54 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,472,843 times
Is this post serious??? Sounds like the OP needs alcohol to be in any situation. Why do you need to drink more??? This was something I did in my early 20's and believe me it's not all it's cracked up to be. I did it to get a buzz not to impress people. You need to find new friends. If they don't like you for you drinking more isn't going to make it better, it just makes you a drunk.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:13 PM

307 posts, read 363,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Is this post serious??? Sounds like the OP needs alcohol to be in any situation. Why do you need to drink more??? This was something I did in my early 20's and believe me it's not all it's cracked up to be. I did it to get a buzz not to impress people. You need to find new friends. If they don't like you for you drinking more isn't going to make it better, it just makes you a drunk.
...it's not about being a drunk, just getting alcohol tolerance. I have little of it at the moment so if we're out at happy hour with co-workers it's a bit embarrassing...To that effect it doesn't enhance your social standing at work.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:17 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,454,601 times
No no no

Continue to drink only what you are comfortable with or like. Drinking to impress others is ridiculous.

If you want to expand your horizons, occasionally order something different, but don't drink it unless you like it.

If you want to stock a home bar in order to cater to the average guest, consult your local liquor store or google it. Doesn't mean you need to drink it just because you have it on hand to serve guests.

Drinking to impress others is nuts. My husband rarely drinks at all and he's as good as anyone fitting in with a bunch of drunk people if the situation arises. But truly why hang out with a bunch of people drinking shots just to get drunk.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:33 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,472,843 times
Quote:
...it's not about being a drunk, just getting alcohol tolerance. I have little of it at the moment so if we're out at happy hour with co-workers it's a bit embarrassing...To that effect it doesn't enhance your social standing at work.
Well I was never the type to do something just to fit in. I do what I want when I want. So what your saying is if you don't drink as much as your other co-workers they make fun?? I used to go out for happy hour with co-workers and my limit was 2 drinks because I had to drive home. No one cared if I drank more or less. What kind of co-workers do you have? Are they pushy about you having more to drink??? Personally I wouldn't go out with them if they were like that. I prefer not to mix business with pleasure.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:01 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,047,583 times
If you are in a major metropolitan area, I would look into some local bars with strong craft cocktail programs and go at an off-time. Most bartenders in these sorts of places enjoy guiding people and introducing them to new spirits, flavors, drinks (I say this as a former bartender who did this many times). There's a whole world of drinks beyond fruity drinks and chemically-flavored vodka kidding drinks.

This said, I don't know that you'll actually impress anyone or improve your "standing" or make anyone find you "manly".

Old 01-12-2016, 02:12 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,561,569 times
This is 2016. We have the internet. If you want to learn about booze it's all at your fingertips. It's not rocket science.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:21 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,421,724 times
Quote:
Practice makes perfect, only way tolerance really goes up is to push it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages