Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:43 PM

876 posts, read 1,011,587 times

Advertisements

I have heard that there are such things as flavored whiskey, similar to flavored vodka. I think I once saw a youtube of somebody drinking a whiskey that tasted like pancakes lol.

Do you have any experience with flavored whiskey? Are they any good or just a gimmick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 02:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 54,009,144 times
No, thank you.

Flavored moonshine is a trend right now, too. Again, no thank you.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,067,467 times
I've been disappointed with the flavored whiskeys I've tried, but then again, I'm kind of a purist in most of my tastes.

I like "hot toddies" in the winter, which I make on my own, with some combination of hot tea, some type of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, rye) and some honey. Then last winter I saw Jack Daniels honey whiskey, and I thought, "cool, I can just pour that in some tea." Nope, WAY too sweet. Maybe people with more of a sweet tooth might like it, but it was sickening-sweet.

Then I saw Jim Beam Maple bourbon. It sort of spoke to me from the shelf. But again, tooooo sweet. Felt like my teeth would fall out. That might be the pancakes one you heard about, because it tasted like straight maple syrup.

I guess I'll stay away from flavored whiskey, because they all seem to be very sweet flavors. I know a lot of people like that Fireball hot cinnamon whiskey, but I don't like hot cinnamon in candy, so I know I wouldn't like to drink it. I did see one, I forget what brand, that was "flavored with botanicals" that seemed interesting. I might like a "hint" of some flavor, but not an overwhelming flavor that takes away from the whiskey flavor.

I'm the same with flavored coffees. I have to use like 1/3 flavored coffee grounds cut into 2/3 regular coffee grounds. Otherwise, it ruins the coffee flavor, for me.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,494,747 times
Here in Canada there are a few that I like.

Yukon Jack is a honey flavoured whisky, nice taste and not too sweet.

Canadian Club has a new one that is maple flavoured, and it seems to be selling well.

A few beers have come on the market here, with apple and or peach flavouring. I don't drink beer at all, so I can't comment on them.

JiM B. i

Old 08-19-2015, 03:48 PM

50,714 posts, read 64,905,338 times
We have a new whiskey company here in Savannah, called Savannah Bourbon Co. They have the regular, which is good, and they have Savannah Sweet Tea Lemonade flavor. I have not tried it yet, but soon.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:03 PM

38,856 posts, read 25,779,450 times
Whiskey has its own great flavor. No need for candy coatings.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:28 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,988,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Whiskey has its own great flavor. No need for candy coatings.
Seconded.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,487,859 times
Spec's locally stopped stocking regular Jameson and started stocking the flavoured stuff. I didnt buy it for a month, took them that long to be convinced to get the real stuff back in. Ive had the honey flavoured stuff and its just plain nasty. Whiskey has a really good flavour all of its own.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,764,052 times
The Crown Royal Apple is pretty good. Had a glass the other day just over ice to sip on. Jack Daniels Fire (cinnamon) in a glass of cider isn't bad either.

Some of the others taste too fake/chemical.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,764,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Canada there are a few that I like.

Yukon Jack is a honey flavoured whisky, nice taste and not too sweet.

Canadian Club has a new one that is maple flavoured, and it seems to be selling well.

A few beers have come on the market here, with apple and or peach flavouring. I don't drink beer at all, so I can't comment on them.

JiM B. i
Yukon Jack isn't a new one....it's been around since at least the late 1940s I believe......and fruit beers are centuries old....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages