Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 AM

502 posts, read 655,295 times

Advertisements

just let me know the bars you go so I dont get anywhere near.... are you serious you are willing to wait 10 mins to get a drink in a random bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
With the advent of anti-smoking laws, a lot of bars have had to go either upmarket (the fancier drinks and bar tenders) or down scale (cheap beer, 97 sports TVs, etc). It's also hurt live music in bars rather badly, but that is a rant for a different day.
So true. I remember when bars in Minneapolis went smoke free. Initial reports stated that the ban was working, that more people were going out to bars, and so on. This was on sales alone. What the reports did not mention was that patronage actually dropped and that bars raised their prices to compensate. My regular watering hole raised its prices 4 times over the course of the first year and a half. Other bars, though, brought in trivia nights, DJs, bands, and so on. All of which caused prices to raise, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
It depends on where you go.

In Spain for example, when you ask for a "regular" gin like beefeater or larios, they will try to push you to one of the "special" gins like citadelle, bulldog or london blue n 1 because... well, they are more expensive... And they will also try to sell you that 2+ euros tonic with lemongrass and himalaya salt aroma or whatever...

of course I can get what I want when I ask for it... but it becomes tiring. 10 years ago a G&T meant a G&T.
It doesn't matter if the bar is in Brussels, Calcutta, Detroit, or Los Angeles; if lemongrass and Himalayan salt are a part of the the house drink, you are simply in the wrong bars (most likely clubs).

Quote:
just let me know the bars you go so I dont get anywhere near.... are you serious you are willing to wait 10 mins to get a drink in a random bar?
The fact that you are unwilling to wait ten minutes is telling of your age, personality, or addiction. Ten minutes is not that long of a wait at most bars, even at those that would not know what the heck a lemon grass or Himalayan salt are.

If it is that big of a deal then 1). order two, or 2). drink at home.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 AM

lemongrass and himalayan salt are 2 extreme examples that I've actually seen as part of G&T recipes, but I've to admit regular ones are more lemon zest, cucumber, juniper berries, strawberries, etc.

as for the 10 mins thing... It is a bit off-topic... but really, what kind of bars you go to? From the moment you sit at the table or the bar and ask for your drink, till the moment you receive the drink... 10 minutes? either the bars you guys go are seriously understaffed or overly overcrowded or both.

I don't know how this has to do what my age or (newly discovered by you) addiction. To my personality it is obvious it has to do, since I am expressing a personal opinion (so I'm not sure what you are trying to say what that sentence)

"order two" is not good, ice-cubes get melted and compromise the taste of the drink.
I do drink at home of course.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Gin & Tonic is one of my all time favorite drinks.

I just reviewed a gin in another thread I started recently about posting your liquor reviews.

Gin purists like their gin to have a very sharp, dry, "botanical" and almost medicinal taste. Sorta like aficionados of single malt scotch who adore the "burn" and the peatiness and smokiness of that type of whiskey.

I am not one of those people. As a clear spirit I like my gin to be smooth (same goes for vodka ... although I much prefer gin). I learned to appreciate gin when I served in the Royal Merchant Navy of the UK. I do like the complex flavors of the various herbs and spices: juniper berries, coriander, star anise, angelica, and all the others ... but I like my gin to have a bright citrusy vibe to moderate those flavors. That's why my two favorites are Tanqueray Rangpur and Tanqueray #10. Lately my friends have been raving about a Philadelphia-made American gin called Bluecoat Gin.

We are NOT talking about whipped cream flavored vodka or blood orange flavored vodka here. We are talking about classic gins that are "tweaked" in their traditional compositions (yes, citrus peel is a one of the basic ingredients in gin) and if the gin happens to be quadruple distilled and the botanical components are adjusted to improve the nuances of bouquet and taste that's okay in my book.
I completely agree. Rangpur and #10 are excellent gins, especially when mixed with tonic and a slice of lime. I have bottles of both in my cabinet right now, along with a new bottle of Bombay Saphire. I also really like the Bluecoat, as an American gin, but have recently been drinking Peninsula Gin from the Grand Traverse distillery.

For something a little different, try Hendricks gin with a good tonic and a slice of cucumber. It is brilliant!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I dont know if it is a marketing campaign or a fashion thing, but in many European countries I visit quite often (Spain, UK, Belgium for example) there is new a wide variety of gins available, and also of tonics, and even of condiments (like strawberries, cucumber, pepper and whatnot)

I have drunk G&T way before this fashion. I like strong gins and neutral tonics, so my drink tastes as G&T. However nowadays, with all those gins with perfumes (like hendricks for example) and condimments, a G&T tastes more of a soda or a juice than a real G&T.

Is it too much to ask to get a regular G&T with just a strong gin (beefeater or larios or gordons for example) and a neutral tonic and no extra flavors? Is it too much to ask not to wait for 10 minutes to get a G&T because the barman is half time chef half time circus artist and spends 10 min in overdressing your drink? anyone with me?

To me, if they want to use flavored this or that change the name of the drink. G&T or V&T should be just that, no extra flavored booze or mixer, just a nice slice of lime and maybe a squeeze of lime into the drink. Maybe I am just too much part of the old school.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
It depends on where you go.

In Spain for example, when you ask for a "regular" gin like beefeater or larios, they will try to push you to one of the "special" gins like citadelle, bulldog or london blue n 1 because... well, they are more expensive... And they will also try to sell you that 2+ euros tonic with lemongrass and himalaya salt aroma or whatever...

of course I can get what I want when I ask for it... but it becomes tiring. 10 years ago a G&T meant a G&T.
Yes, so much has changed. 10 years ago a martini meant a martini, too. Now you have to spell out exactly what you have in mind or god only knows what you'll get. But it won't look like this, it won't contain just gin and vermouth and it will probably be shaken.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:39 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Just specify what you want, to the bartender. If you want a Beefeater G&T with no fruit added, just say so. The bartender will be glad not to have to play chef/circus performer to make your drink.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I dont know if it is a marketing campaign or a fashion thing, but in many European countries I visit quite often (Spain, UK, Belgium for example) there is new a wide variety of gins available, and also of tonics, and even of condiments (like strawberries, cucumber, pepper and whatnot)

I have drunk G&T way before this fashion. I like strong gins and neutral tonics, so my drink tastes as G&T. However nowadays, with all those gins with perfumes (like hendricks for example) and condimments, a G&T tastes more of a soda or a juice than a real G&T.

Is it too much to ask to get a regular G&T with just a strong gin (beefeater or larios or gordons for example) and a neutral tonic and no extra flavors? Is it too much to ask not to wait for 10 minutes to get a G&T because the barman is half time chef half time circus artist and spends 10 min in overdressing your drink? anyone with me?

Ask for the brand you want specifically, tell the bartender how you want it made and if it is not available drink something else.

Find a place that has a bartender, a chef and a circus artist that are separate humans, problem solved.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Care to explain what your great hurry is?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 AM

no great hurry, I think it is a matter of what you are used to. I consider 10 mins a lot because to most places I've been average time is well under 5 mins (even more on the 2 mins range). I guess if you are used to a 15 mins wait for a drink, then 10 mins will be more than ok for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages