Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times

Advertisements

Ahh...ya slay me. What's the international sign for a stroke? Maybe these guys know.

International Stroke Conference

Really, maybe the best thing about whiskey is you can't talk and sip at he same time. So just keep your mouth shut and swallow. That's what she said. Bingo! Ala Michael Scott!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
"Best Selling" and all that, but I realize that the masses may not know any better.
As others have noted, blended whiskeys and single-malts are completely. The latter is definitely an acquired taste and, while sublime (in my opinion) it best to start with blended. That being said, I’m not a fan of either Dewar’s or Johnnie Red. If I’m drinking a mass-market blend I prefer Irish (specifically Jameson) to Scotch. I think it’s smoother and has better balance.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
If someone tried to start my path to Scotch appreciation with a bottle of Laphroaig, I would've become a bourbon drinker.

Still, I guess my Scotch education was backwards. I used to hate the stuff. But I had a Brit boss who felt compelled to convert me. He didn't start me on blends, rather it was the 'classic malts' and a Campbelltown, so I could learn the differences. I found I liked Oban best, so he bought me a bottle.

Three years later I'm on vacation in Scotland, visiting distilleries, learning more about the process, why blends exist and the philosophies behind blending. Since that time I've almost always had a bottle of Famous Grouse in the house and while I can enjoy almost any single malt, my favorite these days is Lagavulin - although I rarely buy it as it's $80+ here in PA (I'll often get a bottle when in the NYC area as it's only mid-$50s there).

Still can't stand Laphroaig though. Which is a little odd since you can literally jog between the Laphroaig and Lagavulin distilleries.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Which is a little odd since you can literally jog between the Laphroaig and Lagavulin distilleries.
The best motivation for a bit of cardio that I've ever heard.

Lagavulin is my favorite as well.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If someone tried to start my path to Scotch appreciation with a bottle of Laphroaig, I would've become a bourbon drinker.
Exactly!

Quote:
I found I liked Oban best, so he bought me a bottle.
Yes, that's a great choice. And Oban (pronouced OH bun, not oh BAHN) Distillery is a great one to visit, in a picturesque little Harbor Village, with a half moon bay, a large flock of swans swimming as a traditional piper walks the waterfront, piping the sunset. The distillery is the second oldest working (Strathisla in Keith is the oldest), and I talked to still workers there who were 5th generation employees. I went for a day, but stayed three because it was so magical and gorgeous there, and I came home with a bottle of Oban Distiller's Reserve that was too rare to ever show up on a shopkeeper's shelf.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 PM

258 posts, read 421,667 times
OpenD, you are like our own personal Scotch-specific version of Three Sheets.

~Katy

Old 08-09-2013, 12:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Default Laphroig and shortbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
OpenD, you are like our own personal Scotch-specific version of Three Sheets.
Thanks, I just love to share some of my fun experiences.

Matt Smith, the British actor who is the outgoing Dr. Who, was on the Craig Ferguson late show last week, and at some point in the conversation he mentioned that he likes to have a piece of shortbread when he's enjoying a glass of Laphroig. And Ferguson agreed that was a tasty combination... and I flashed back to my visit to Oban, when I was first introduced to the custom.

Actually, my first round was a kind of crumbly oatmeal biscuit that are nearly impossible to find in the states, and it was recommended and paired with a local sheep's milk cheese by a knowledgeable purveyor in the village. I took them with me, my whisky in a fine Dalvy flask, with an ingenious telescoping glass in the side, and I hiked up to the hill to an old folly, overlooking the village and the bay and the ocean beyond, and proceeded to drink whisky and snack on biscuit and cheese and watch the sunset.

The next day, I went back to the shop and raved to the proprietor about how much I had liked that combination, and he said then I should try the shortbread next. And I loved it too, maybe more. And I continue to love it years later. I often put out shortbread when I'm entertaining a friend with a wee dram, and I just bought some shortbread the other day, just because... heh.

But I was surprised to hear Matt Smith raving about it, because I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone outside of Scotland mention nibbling a bit of shortbread while sipping on a fine old malt.

Bit it's definitely worth trying. They go so well together.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Scotch-is it supposed to smell like tequila?

I'm a man who appreciates fine spirits, including both Scotch and tequila. While some tequilas have a slightly smokey aroma, it's not as common or as evident as it is in Scotch. A good tequila should have more of a slightly spicy, fruity, almost citrus type scent. Scotch should have that smokey, aged-to-perfection, woody fragrance.

Both wonderful spirits, but both somewhat plagued by reputations arising from experiences by many folks with the cheap bottom shelf varieties of both. Like so much in life, quality doesn't come cheap in spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages