Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 PM

29,885 posts, read 25,023,981 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon something interesting today, and a bit on accident. I opened a bottle of Zywiec porter this afternoon. I found that it was not quite as cold as I enjoy it so I placed it in the freezer in my typical beer glass. Of course, I forgot all about it until just now

After removing it from the freezer, I discovered the top layer was frozen. This issue was resolved by breaking through with a fork and stirring the half frozen beverage about top to bottom. At this point, the resulting beverage appears something like a crushed ice slurpy like beverage.

As for the taste... Quite refreshing for a hot evening I could see this really hitting the spot during the hotter part of the day. Even better would be a lighter beer, though less alcohol might mean the beverage would freeze more thoroughly. Only problem was one of consistency. I would have enjoyed it more if there was more ice to liquid ratio. Perhaps leaving the beverage in the freezer for a longer period of time would help.

At any rate, perhaps this will strike the curiosity and fancy of others. I'm thinking I might try this again, just because I love porters, but they don't seem to be the best summer time brew. Perhaps this trick will make them more refreshing for the palate on those hot summer days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,516,641 times
I've done it accidentally a couple of times, trying to get a fast chill on a bottle by putting it in the freezer, forgetting it was there, pulling it out and popping the top to discover that it was slushy, the way root beer used to get slushy in a mug from the freezer.

Yes, refreshing, fun, but not interesting enough to have me try to pin down the correct time to create the proper effect. It takes some planning, and some patience, neither of which are a strong suit for me when I'm in the mood for a cold beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages