Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 PM

16,427 posts, read 22,316,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've also seen a bottle of Glenlivet laying around so I assume that's a safe bet.

That Johnnie Walker special edition looked interesting ?
If he's a Glenlivet (malt) kind of guy he may not appreciate Johnnie Walker (peat flavored). Personally, I've never tasted a smoother scotch than Royal Salute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,070,705 times
These are what I always have in my cabinet, the only things I drink, which I highly recommend:

Single malt scotch: Lagavulin 16 and Highland Park 25. Lagavulin 16 is $70-$80. Highland Park 25 is anywhere from $175 to $275. I paid either $125 or $155 for my current bottle at a duty-free in Puerto Rico. Before that, I usually paid $175.

Single malt Irish whiskey: Bushmills 21, the price is $90.

Bourbon: Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20, the price is $110. I am planning to buy myself a bottle of PVW 23 when there is a celebration of some sort. Not this year, unfortunately.

This is what I think of drinking: I drink only what appeals the most to me, not because of the popularity, the price, or the great advertisements. Unfortunately, what appeal to me are all expensive. I did not set out to do so.

I tried dozens of different scotches and was not overly crazy about any of them until I tasted Lagavulin 16 a decade ago, and then a few years ago, when I found Highland Park 25. I could not drink other single malts after those two.

I tried five bourbons and hated them all. The sixth was PVW 20. I was head over heel at first taste. I was seriously in love, no exaggeration.

Bushmills 21 came to me via an old friend who refused to let me try anything else from the Bushmills family. "Go straight away to the 21 and you will never leave it again", he said. And he was right.

Yes, they are all expensive, but I don't drink often and I don't drink without a reason. I also do not drink cocktails. When I sip my drink, I taste every drop of the good stuff and treasure it. That kind of enjoyment is worth the price to me.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-07-2011 at 11:49 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,480,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
JOhnny Walker has a special label for a special person!! The best gift and the most unique and special .
Johnnie Walker® Gift - Give Him a Unique Gift This Year.
If I were buying for hubby, and I wanted to spend $50 or more I would do like you, JWalker Black or even higher. Glen Levit is another one worth the money according to him. I couldn't tell you the difference between the cheapest and the best...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,765,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If I were buying for hubby, and I wanted to spend $50 or more I would do like you, JWalker Black or even higher. Glen Levit is another one worth the money according to him. I couldn't tell you the difference between the cheapest and the best...
I couldn't either. I really can't stand the taste of Scotch but I do like whiskey and Coke once in a while.

I keep thinking I'll probably get him a bottle of Crown Royal XR and maybe Johnnie Walker Blue Label? Sound like a good pair?

For Scotch I might take the suggestions and try to find Lagavulin 16 and Bushmills 21; wouldn't know the difference between the two if I were buying.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
For Scotch I might take the suggestions and try to find Lagavulin 16 and Bushmills 21; wouldn't know the difference between the two if I were buying.

Note: Lagavulin 16 is single malt Scotch (whisky from Scotland); Bushmills 21 is not Scotch, it's a rare single malt whiskey from Ireland, or Irish whiskey.

If you have Total Wine & More in your area, you don't need to check the price elsewhere. They have the lowest price and the best selections on beer, wine, and liquors.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:40 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,765,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post

Note: Lagavulin 16 is single malt Scotch (whisky from Scotland); Bushmills 21 is not Scotch, it's a rare single malt whiskey from Ireland, or Irish whiskey.

If you have Total Wine & More in your area, you don't need to check the price elsewhere. They have the lowest price and the best selections on beer, wine, and liquors.
Yep have one and they have the best selection of EVERYTHING. I've dropped way too much money there over the years!

Can you explain the difference between a single-malt Scotch and other Scotch? I'm not well versed in this stuff.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Can you explain the difference between a single-malt Scotch and other Scotch? I'm not well versed in this stuff.
This is better than any explanation I can give:

Scotch whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most people do not go into that much of differentiation though. Most of the time when people say single malt, they mean "the opposite from blended whisky". Many believe blended whisky has smoother taste. Many also call single malt drinkers "whisky snobs." I say drink whatever you think is best, and don't compromise. Life is too short.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-08-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,245,699 times
I love Johnnie Walker a lot. Lately I've been trying to get into single malts, though. I really like Laphroaig (can't remember the age of it). It was smoky and heavy peat. I enjoyed it a lot. Last week my wife bought me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 (I think?) and it is quite nice as well ~$40 or so. Dahlwinnie is another I enjoyed quite a bit. I'm not so much into describing the tastes and smells I just know if I like it or not. Now craft beer is more up my alley, if you need suggestions on that, I can help more! Cheers.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,483,417 times
Laphroaig has a really strong identity, so if he's got lots of other more caramel-y scotches already in stock it's a good choice for variety. I'd go with it. Macallan's a safer choice.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,939,358 times
Don't forget to check out your local Costco. Especially when they have the coupon sales for their alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages