Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,866,440 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there has gotta be experts here as I am certainly not one when it comes to drinks. There was a mixed drink I loved that contained white rum, but now that I have moved and live in a dry area those sort of all-in-one drink mixes aren't available. I used to get it in Walmart or grocery stores, but here those sort of stores are only allowed to sell beer or wine coolers. A nearby town has package stores, but they do not sell drink mixes. I was mind boggled at the rum selection they had though and went by price. I ended up getting spiced rum which isn't working too great in trying to recreate my fave mixed drinks. I didn't see any bottles that said white rum, but then again I was the uneducated rum consumer looking at a whole rack of bottles. What is a brand name I should look on the shelf for to get a good, but not too inexpensive white rum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,199,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I'm sure there has gotta be experts here as I am certainly not one when it comes to drinks. There was a mixed drink I loved that contained white rum, but now that I have moved and live in a dry area those sort of all-in-one drink mixes aren't available. I used to get it in Walmart or grocery stores, but here those sort of stores are only allowed to sell beer or wine coolers. A nearby town has package stores, but they do not sell drink mixes. I was mind boggled at the rum selection they had though and went by price. I ended up getting spiced rum which isn't working too great in trying to recreate my fave mixed drinks. I didn't see any bottles that said white rum, but then again I was the uneducated rum consumer looking at a whole rack of bottles. What is a brand name I should look on the shelf for to get a good, but not too inexpensive white rum?
Let me introduce you to my friend, Mr. Google. Here is what he says about rum..

from the website: Guide to Popular Rum Brands - Value, Premium and Super Premium Brands of Rum Liquor

Light Rum
Less than $15

Appleton Estate White - Jamaica
Bacardi Silver - Puerto Rico
Barton White - Virgin Islands
Castillo White - Puerto Rico
Fernandes White - Trinidad
Flor de Caña 4 Year Old White - Nicaragua
Myers Original Platinum - Jamaica
Ron Castillo White - Puerto Rico
Around $20

Angostura Old Oak White - Trinidad
Clearheart Rum - US
Mount Gay Premium White - Barbados
Rhum Barbancourt White - Haiti
Ron Matusalem Platino - Dominican Republic
Wray & Nephew White Overproof - Jamaica
El Dorado White - Guyana
$30 and Up

Charbay Tropical Islands Cane - US
Oronoco Fazenda Reserva - Brazil
Papagayo Organic White - Paraguay
Rhum Clement Premiére Canne - Martinique
Tommy Bahama White Sand - Barbados
Starr African Light Rum - Mauritius

20yrsinBranson
no a rum fan.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,178,850 times
There's many good rums on the list above, that's for sure.
But since they can be expensive, the more affordable Bacardi rum is what I usually buy.
It has a little bat on the label. ....
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=288938073764&id=317267bf3f2281612 c76c0aa8db2caca&url=http%3a%2f%2flmgfieldmarketing .files.wordpress.com%2f2008%2f05%2flittle-superior1.gif (broken link)

Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,285,736 times
Talking Rum a tum...tum...

I make a LOT of rum cakes thru out the holidays. I usually use Barcadi gold

This is a great cream rum.
You can only buy it in Jamaica & only can bring 2 bottles back with you.

Attached Thumbnails
Questions about Rum-pd-1664.jpg  

Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM

914 posts, read 4,450,868 times
I've always enjoyed Captain Morgan's. Cabana Boy makes some really good flavored rums.

Rum has always been my mixing liquor of choice. I find it to be a lot smoother than vodka or tequila, but everyone's tastes are different.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,023,092 times
Myers hands down, straight or mixed.

Bicardi Dark is excellent

And Actually "Albertsons Grocery(in the west) has a decent white and dark rum for about $8.00.

Will be stocking up this week for the holidays.

HW

Old 11-29-2010, 03:00 PM

509 posts, read 1,170,201 times
Yeah, if you are mixing clear rum then you can't really go wrong with Bacardi. When you get into the darker rums, then you may have to be a bit more discerning.

For a cheap light rum that is palatable, try Paramount. It is used often for well drinks in bars.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,866,440 times
The rum I did get is pretty good, but it was a spiced rum. I don't even remember the brand. Its just that the spicy overtones don't go well in making mudslide drinks. Or at least I don't like it. It also didn't taste too good in cream soda the one time I tried it. I didn't have any coke or pepsi as I generally keep sodas out of the house now.

I actually took a small list of recommended rums but the liquor store had none of those brands and I didn't see anything that said white rum. I will look again for Bacardi as I know they had some version of that (I remember the bat label-lol) I didn't see any Captain Morgan's white rum...does it actually say white rum on the bottle?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM

738 posts, read 2,961,386 times
Often times the "white" rum is called silver or light rum. Captain Morgans Silver and Barcardi Silver are their two light rums. These rums tend to have less flavor and blend better with mixers. Those brands are usually available nationwide at any liquor store and are decent options for the price.

The Darker rums, and spiced rums, tend to have the golden brown color and often have a lot more flavor imparted into them from aging- usually vanilla, oak, and smoke flavors. I tend to drink more dark rums, since we always bring back specialty bottles when we go to the Caribbean islands. Puerto Rico and the Dominican have some great local rums that we love. My favorite dark rum that is available most everywhere is the Appleton Estate Rum. I love the flavor of this one and usually use it to mix with coke or fruit smoothies, while saving the fancy specialty bottles for special occasions.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM

268 posts, read 879,283 times
When I drink rum, it is Havana Club
white (3 years) or brown from several ages.

Because it's Cuban, import, I think Havana Club is not available in the US. Only "Havana Club-style" rum. Is it so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages