Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:05 PM

270 posts, read 274,273 times

Advertisements

Is it a good school?

I come from Los Angeles and the recruiter at school today waived the application fee and said they are accepting applications for the Spring (which beats the CA system which is not, because of budget cuts).

Also, I am studying Japanese. Is there a Japanese community there? How big is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,131 times
Is UNM a good school? I suppose. Doesn't rank up there with USC or UCLA for most things but I believe it does beat out Cal State LA on many surveys.

Japanese community? Not anything by California standards. While UNM may have a Japanese degree available, it's a bit like traveling to New Mexico to see the oceans.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM

195 posts, read 472,412 times
UNM is like the best school in the state, so I'd say it's pretty darn good. It's like the Harvard of New Mexico.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM

170 posts, read 648,804 times
I think if you were to go to UNM you would be in for a major culture shock. I don't think it's up to par with most UCs or CSUs. The only reason you should go here is if you love New Mexico or really can't afford to go to school in CA. I hardly see people of Asian descent in the area besides tourists. NM is comprised of a mixture of Hispanic, Native American, and Caucasian. Anything else is in the minority. I'd say just apply to UC/CSU now since you still have time and plan on going to a CA school next fall, you'd be paying in-state tuition and probably get a better education in Japanese since CA has a high Asian population.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,174 times
" It's like the Harvard of New Mexico. "

And Albuquerque is the Paris of New Mexico.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM

123 posts, read 236,275 times
California schools at all levels are undergoing major financial cuts. As a former Californian, I wouldn't be so quick to say California schools are better right now.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM

170 posts, read 648,804 times
I know CA is in the midst of major cuts everywhere, I'm in the middle of it myself at my school, but CA would still be a much better state in terms of the major the op is planning on studying compared to NM.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,174 times
OP does not say that is his major, maybe he can clarify. There is a Japanese-American society here in ABQ ( quite small ) , I know they have a bowling league, do ikebana demonstrations, possibly classes as well.

http://www.nmjacl.org/

Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM

123 posts, read 236,275 times
I am truly worried about my ex-state. I taught elementary school there in the so-called good days (class size for 5th grade: 34 kids, no art teacher, no p.e. teacher, counselor services rare). What now? 40 kids in a class? Now I understand the state universities are not accepting students in spring, are cutting class offerings, and are increasing class sizes. Sad. They've killed paradise.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM

238 posts, read 634,996 times
Exclamation Land of Fruits & Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdwell View Post
I am truly worried about my ex-state. I taught elementary school there in the so-called good days (class size for 5th grade: 34 kids, no art teacher, no p.e. teacher, counselor services rare). What now? 40 kids in a class? Now I understand the state universities are not accepting students in spring, are cutting class offerings, and are increasing class sizes. Sad. They've killed paradise.

That's what happens when you elect a bunch of left-wing liberal democrats to office in Suckramento. Let's see just what that government has brought to CA:

• An exploding illegal alien population that flood CA schools, jobs, hospitals, court systems, jails and prisons. $13B per year for illegals in CA alone.
  • Home to some of the country's most violent street gangs, some 50,000+ strong. How many killings and how much money goes to these cockroaches?
  • Every kooked out, moonbat special interest group that sues or tries to pass stupid laws. PETA, ELF, Black Panthers, CCC, and every fruit cake environmental nazi there is. And if the special interest moonbats aren't doing something, then some dumb, actor, producer, or director is starting another alarmist trendoid-of-the-day that is harmful to the people. And the government listens to these people!!! Ever read what they are doing to our poor farmers in the San Joachin Valley? All over a bunch of BS with the tiny Delta Smelt. Stalin would be proud.
  • Taxes, taxes, taxes! The state legislators must take a look at all the decent, hard-working citizens and ask, "How can we tax these people to death?". Outrageous property tax, income tax, sales tax, corporate tax, worker's comp, luxury tax, gas tax, cigarette tax, and every other tax you can think of... and they are still over $23 BILLION in the red!

I lived in the L.A. area for over 5 years or so. I loved CA, despite all the problems it had/has. I've even seriously contemplated moving back there one of these days. But, as the years go by, CA seems to get worse and worse. Something has got to give. I still love CA, but I just don't understand how a revolution the size of the original Boston Tea Party hasn't happened yet.

There's still hope...

--BtK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque