Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM

161 posts, read 640,231 times

Advertisements

A few months back, I had posted a thread in the General U.S. category listing criteria and asking for suggestions on where to relocate. Two people suggested Albuquerque, which caught me off guard. So I though I would post a specific thread here to see if anyone else agrees.

I cannot drive due to an eye condition and am looking for an inexpensive place to rent an apartment with better weather than what I have in North Dakota. I use public transit sometimes, but really want to be able to walk to a lot of things (within 1 mile), including my job.

I work for Target, and would transfer with them. I know Albuquerque has several Target stores.

To me, I guess I always felt Albuquerque was too big and sprawled out to really consider. Also, I have heard lots of people talk about high crime. Albuquerque does have an awesome climate, and apartments in my price range.

So I guess what I am asking is this? Is there actually a Target store in Albuquerque located in a fairly safe, walkable area that I could find an apartment within 1 mile?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 PM

212 posts, read 538,758 times
there's a target on Coors, less than a mile from my apartment! rent aint that cheap though, $840/2br... and actually coors @ paseo is NOT really designed to be walked lol... Not sure about other area targets

Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Your best bet would be the Target on Montgomery, just East of Wyoming. It's a smaller Target, but close to a wide variety of apartments (in all price ranges) and businesses in a good area that are within walking distance, plus it's accessible to many other apartments and businesses via the bus. The Montgomery Route #5 stops right in front of the Target and that route has frequent runs, and runs late.

There's another Target on Paseo Del Norte, but I don't think there's any apartments within walking distance. Another Target is on Lomas just East of Eubank, it's a nice large store with apartments nearby but I'm not familiar with that neighborhood. Hopefully someone will post shortly who is, since the Target is a nice one.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
A few months back, I had posted a thread in the General U.S. category listing criteria and asking for suggestions on where to relocate. Two people suggested Albuquerque, which caught me off guard. So I though I would post a specific thread here to see if anyone else agrees.

I cannot drive due to an eye condition and am looking for an inexpensive place to rent an apartment with better weather than what I have in North Dakota. I use public transit sometimes, but really want to be able to walk to a lot of things (within 1 mile), including my job.

I work for Target, and would transfer with them. I know Albuquerque has several Target stores.

To me, I guess I always felt Albuquerque was too big and sprawled out to really consider. Also, I have heard lots of people talk about high crime. Albuquerque does have an awesome climate, and apartments in my price range.

So I guess what I am asking is this? Is there actually a Target store in Albuquerque located in a fairly safe, walkable area that I could find an apartment within 1 mile?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
i was thinking about the one on Paseo Del Norte, but maybe the apartments are not close enough to Target. I am sure there are lots of safe neighborhoods in the area. Remember all major cities will have some crime, if you can find something near the NO/West section of town you should find what you need.

Nita

Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 23,906 times
ABQ is way to big to live here without a car, and our transit system is buggered. I wouldn't do it. Consider a more metropolitan area with a better transit system or you'll find yourself frustrated. I can drive but I prefer not to (being from a metro area originally) and ABQ makes me wanna tear my hair out. It is really boring.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,094 times
The Paseo del Norte and Coors Blvd targets are not in the most walkable areas..
There are apartments right behind the Coors Target, but I know nothing about
their cost. The problem is that even if they are affordable, there's not a darn
thing else to do around there without a car and has already been pointed out,
ABQ's outlying transport system is very, very poor.

I love it here, but I honestly think you may not find any of the western cities
really meet your transportation needs. I'd hate to make such a commitment
only to find that in 3 years Target decided to relocate the store and now you
have no practical way to get to work...

Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM

161 posts, read 640,231 times
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

After reading about each Target in town and looking on a map, I definitely think the store that the people who suggested Albuquerque had in mind was the store at Montgomery and Wyoming. It seems to have a lot of apartments nearby, as well as other businesses. I don't know if this is a safe area or not.

As for the transit system not meeting my needs, the whole idea here is to not need it on a daily basis for my job, and live close enough to walk to work. Now, of course, I would need it to get to other parts of town on a more leisurely basis. I live a pretty simple life. Basically, any city with great public transit is out of my price range. So my goal is to just not need it every day.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Yes, the store on Montgomery just east of Wyoming would be your best bet. There's a wide assortment of apartment complexes on Montgomery, starting from Carlisle or so and going as far west as Tramway, all ON Montgomery. All would be accessible via Route #5, Montgomery/Carlisle.

For easy walking to the store, however, I'd suggest the properties between Pennsylvania and Wyoming. There's at least two I can think of, although I don't remember the names (one changed names last year with new owners).

Old 06-06-2009, 12:58 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Actually, the idea that came to mind for me was to live in a place
where you can walk to everything and ride the bus to work when you go
to work. All the " don't do it " comments come from the perspective
of living near a Target. I'm not aware of a Target in an area where
I would choose to live, but there are many Targets in areas where
you can commute effectively to work from walkable areas.

The Target on Lomas is directly on a bus line, but is also walkable
from Central Avenue where the busses run frequenly all day.

The Target on Paseo is easily accessible via bus.
So is the Target on Montgomery and on Coors.

I'm not saying the Targets are in bad areas, they're not.
They are just not located in areas where you will want to
live without an automobile.

Ignore the comment about "ABQ is way to big to live here without a car, ..."

It's not.

" ... and our transit system is buggered. I wouldn't do it. "

OK, so maybe "EastVanQueen" wouldn't do it, but I mostly don't drive
and when I lived in the walkable area I'm talking about, I ditched my car.

If you are willing to accomodate the layout of the bus routes and
the town, it is very livable without a car. If not, then there is always
whining. That only gets you so far and makes you look like a dork.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

After reading about each Target in town and looking on a map, I definitely think the store that the people who suggested Albuquerque had in mind was the store at Montgomery and Wyoming. It seems to have a lot of apartments nearby, as well as other businesses. I don't know if this is a safe area or not.
Trailhiker, I would also have suggested this Target. I've visited both this one and the one @ Paseo, and I believe the Montgomery location fits your needs better.

I think you will also find there is a wider variety of restaurants to walk to, some of them quite decent. The first one that comes to mind is Range Cafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: