Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 12,408 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to ABQ next fall to attend grad. school - I recently visited the town and really fell head over heels. As someone who has traveled all over the world, this town (and state) feel so separated from the rest of America. The climate, the culture, the scenery...ahhhh...A real fresh of breath air to be honest. And the people really seemed to have a character all their own. Nice folks, but genuine about it, not like in the midwest.

I'll be attending UNM and was thinking University Heights might be the best place to live as I would love to ride my bike or walk if I can.

Are there any other neighborhoods one would suggest that are relatively cheap?

Also, I know "student ghettos" can be loud. I'm somewhat over that phase of my life...no chance there's some wonderful quiet, cheap, clean neighborhood in the middle of ABQ, right?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

132 posts, read 291,247 times
I'd recommend also looking into the north campus area by the law school. Terrific neighborhood with great access to everything in the city. I lived there for two years a couple years back. Easily walkable to campus and just slightly further from Central Ave. than University Heights. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
There is another grad student on this forum, trucktzer, who was looking earlier this year. If she is around, she should be by soon to give you some good advice.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,408 times
Thanks! I really appreciate it. This forum is extremely helpful.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,800 times
I lived in the area west of the university for a while, along Martin Luther King Ave. It was a lot quieter than the "student ghetto" south of central.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
The student ghetto around UNM is much more quiet than similar neighborhoods around other Universities. The loudest areas would be around The Frontier and the apartment complexes on the 200 blocks of Columbia and Princeton Drives. There is a fair amount of home ownership and long-time renters in University Height compared to most student ghettos and a wide range of ages from families with children to college-age co-housing situations to retirees.

Seriously, after 10pm there is hardly a soul out on the streets in this neighborhood much hordes of revelers.

ABQConvict

Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,079,377 times
ABQConvict advised:

> ... The loudest areas would be around The Frontier and the
> apartment complexes on the 200 blocks of Columbia and Princeton ...

I lived in the closest possible apartment to the Frontier at 112 Cornell
for four years and found it peaceful and quiet almost all the time.

Please see these other threads for lots of details and come back
here with questions if you have any:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ew-mexico.html

Relocating to UNM for grad school; need housing for under $500

The UNM Ghetto is the best place I have ever lived.
It's not a party ghetto, but it's a fun and convenient place.

With any luck, you'll be able to locate a place where you will be
so close to the University that you won't even want to deal with
the inconvenience of a bicycle.

as urbanabq mentioned:

> I'd recommend also looking into the north campus area by the law school.

This is also a fine area, but:

(1) less rentals available
(2) less amenities like shopping and dining in very close range

..... but ....

Some parts of the North Campus area have close access to stuff near Carlisle
and and Indian School or Constitution like a Whole Foods and a large Smith's.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
The North Campus neighborhood has fewer rentals and is a little less convenient but is one of the most attractive neighborhoods in the city, in my opinion, and certainly quiet.

ABQConvict

Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 PM

519 posts, read 1,696,909 times
I'm around (though not as much because school is kicking my a** right now), and I'd be happy to answer any questions .. you can ask away on this thread or PM me.

I lived in the "war zone" and biked to school .. no problems except the occasional cat call. I now live off Indian School and Girard, and it's super quiet .. I'm in Vassar Garden Apts, and it's super cheap ($500-ish for a 2 bedroom apt). So, basically my rent is $270/mo. !! Biking is definitely a way to get to school from where I live.

My friends tell me there are lots of rentals (like half homes) off Roma and Morningstar (?) in the NE. That area is nice, and rent for a 2 bedroom is about $700. Biking is about 10-15 minutes from campus.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,450 times
I lived in two different places in the student ghetto when I was a grad student at UNM. In the first place I had horrible loud neighbors who SUCKED, we had to keep calling the cops on them. Then I moved literally a block away and it was as peaceful as anything. So, the student ghetto is a gamble but I really liked living there I lived alone and had no problems with that either.

Just, uh, the roaches. Ewww.

I had a studio for 355/mo. It went up to about 415 as soon as I moved though, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque