Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 AM

200 posts, read 611,987 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I posted a month or two ago re:what parts of town to live in (am a Navy spouse w/ a 1 yr. old, hubby to work at Kirtland) . Through my research & dealings w/ r.e. agents via the internet, I've basically inferred that the NE Heights, b/c of the school district & proximity to ABQ proper, is most touted as the preferred place to live. I've heard the Westside & RR is good but to be leery of the traffic/commutes. So far I've been looking at real estate in the NE Heights & Four Hills area & find the prices sky high for these old houses that need updating & the newer dev's. really cookie cutter. Also school districts aren't an issue for me at this stage of the game.

I'm starting to lean towards the Taylor Ranch area & there seems to be more variety in terms of the newer houses cropping up & prices more reasonable. My question is how is the commute from T. Ranch to Kirtland?
Another neighborhood that was recommended, I believe, was called "Cotton Ridge" anyone familiar w/that?

Also, I'm constantly warned (I'm an El Pasoan) about the "crime in ABQ."
What kind of crime? Where does the lot of it occur? What's being done about it? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by anelizk; 08-23-2008 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: Word Omission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 AM

382 posts, read 1,229,534 times
There are lots of posts here regarding commute times. I used to live at ~ Paseo / Golf Course and commuted to SNL, just inside the Eubank Gate. The drive could take upwards of an hour depending on accidents etc. On average, I would say one should budget 45 minutes for that ride, with more in the afternoon.

Kirtland is large. Depending on the final destination, it might take a little more or less. For example, if you are working near the Truman Gate, you might get there faster as you can bypass I-25, exit at Gibson, and head east to Truman. That would probably save 10 minutes.

The worst case I knew of was an ex-coworker that lived in Valencia county, and worked at LRI at Kirtland. As the crow flies, she was actually close to work - I bet no more than 10 miles. She had to come up 47, then I-25, on the base, and then all the way south to LRI again. It was 90 minutes each way.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,234,488 times
trapped - Are you aware of any new/exist gates leading to base from the Mesa Del Sol area?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:21 AM

20 posts, read 83,914 times
I've just decided on a house in the Ventana Ranch area. I was looking at two houses in the NE (one in 87109, one in 87111), but I didn't like the layout. They're both older houses, with two seperate "living areas." In a not-so-big house, that just gave me two rooms too small to entertain in.

The one in VR has a big, open living room. Also, I'm a sucker for cathedral ceilings. Although it doesn't have a washer/dryer, it's $150 less per month than the NE house with W/D (and $175 less than the other, which didn't), so new W/D will have long paid for themselves by the end of the first year.

But I think what sealed the deal for me is that I left my motel near the 40/25 junction at 8:30am to go see it, and the traffic seemed surprisingly light. Mind you, I've lived in L.A. for ten years, and I've been in bumper-to-bumper there at 11pm.

It's still liable to take me half an hour to get to UNM, but in L.A., it takes at least 45 minutes to get to the geographically closer UCLA, so I think I can live with that.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:14 PM

Yeah... ABQ traffic is childs play for sure.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 PM

200 posts, read 611,987 times
Yes, but where is Ventana Ranch or ~Paseo/Golf Course, Eubank gate or any other of these places mentioned? Sorry not sure how this ties in w/my question on "what kind of commute my husband would be looking at driving from Taylor Ranch to Kirtland?" Probably b/c I'm not that familiar w/the area, have only been there twice in my life.

Still what about the crime issue? Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM

That looks like a bear of a commute to me (but I'm finicky about that kind of stuff).

Light estimate (i.e. perfect conditions) around 30min.
Heavy estimate (i.e. Everybody and their dog is on the road) 45 min. -1 hr.

I wouldn't be too worried about crime in that area.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
Yes, but where is Ventana Ranch or ~Paseo/Golf Course, Eubank gate or any other of these places mentioned? Sorry not sure how this ties in w/my question on "what kind of commute my husband would be looking at driving from Taylor Ranch to Kirtland?" Probably b/c I'm not that familiar w/the area, have only been there twice in my life.

Still what about the crime issue? Thanks!
Paseo and Golf Course is at the north end of Taylor Ranch. Another mile south to Montano is the unofficial start of Taylor Ranch. Paseo is the better road across the river - Montano is a nightmare. Another option is Coors to I-40. Ventana Ranch is west of Taylor Ranch about 10 minutes in good traffic.

Kirtland AFB is huge. Depending on his function, he might be near the Eubank gate, could be at Wyoming and Gibson, or maybe even inside the Truman gate. I gave you a WAG based on known experience.

Crime in Taylor Ranch is either property crime or domestic violence. I always felt safe there. The APD crime map bears this out. Very little in the way of violent crime other than same household battery.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
trapped - Are you aware of any new/exist gates leading to base from the Mesa Del Sol area?
There is already one "secret" back gate near the airport. Only one I am aware of. I don't work at SNL anymore.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,925,292 times
Paseo and Golf Course is Paradise Hills, Ventana Ranch is further south right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque