Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 20,605 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Albuquerque for a few days and would like to explore the local used/antiquarian book store scene. Could you recommend any good ones in the downtown area? I'll basically be confined to foot and public transportation.

I'm particularly interested in poetry, philosophy, classic literature, nonfiction and out-of-print selections.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Bird Song Used Books: Welcome To The Best In ABQ!

If it's run by the same guy, it's all that you could want in a used book store.

He used to be located on Harvard, on the W side - two doors up from Silver, but his shop caught fire sometime in the 1990's and he moved to Montgomery
and Juan Tabo. This was not a good location for the shop.

Judging from the FAQ page, it's the same guy - guard cats and all. Now I'm going to have to re-visit the place. Soon.

Page One is still good. You'll have to take a bus, but it'll drop you off at the door.

113 Cornell Dr Se is shown as a used book store. It's a great location for a used book store and I've frequented one there many times. Maybe it's the same one from the 1990's.

This link shows many more including some others in the UNM area:
Albuquerque Used, Rare, & Out Of Print Books in Albuquerque NM Yellow Pages by SuperPages

UNM is an easy and nice walk from downtown.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,287 times
Hi - thanks. I will be coming from NY to Albuquerque mid October and canit wait to check out the used books stores. In a few trips to Tucson I found Bookman's to be great in both buying and selling books. Thanks for the help.
Elizabeth

Old 10-01-2008, 12:38 PM

72 posts, read 195,637 times
Try out Titlewave bookstore.
Title Wave Books

Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
[URL="http://www.birdsongusedbooks.com/"]Bird Song Used Books: Welcome To The Best In ABQ![/URL]
<snip>He used to be located on Harvard, on the W side - two doors up from Silver, but his shop caught fire sometime in the 1990's and he moved to Montgomery and Juan Tabo. This was not a good location for the shop.
Hey there. Bird Song is a great used book store. Need to clarify a few things though;
There was a fire at Birdsong on June 21st, 1997. The previous owners were devastated by the loss and sold the name to its current owners who, after massive repairs and replacement of lost stock, reopened the store in the same location that November and enjoyed five more years there on Harvard, until the block was sold to a group of real estate investors. They wanted to seriously jack the rent, so the store moved to its current location on Central & University where they're doing just great - and all the guard cats retired to work "home security." One of the guys who used to work at Birdsong went to work for Page One right after the fire, which is located at Montogomery and Juan Tabo. A lot of folks confused him with the previous owner - maybe that's why some would make this mistake. Matter of fact, the current owner kinda looks like both of them - they're all very tall men with beards sporting tie-dyed tee shirts.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,846,208 times
I knew the previous owner well, his first name is Brad (am guessing his last name is Baumgardner). Up until 1990 or so he also dealt in used music-lp's, tapes and cd's, but phased it out. UrUtr is right- they're big dudes. Classical music was his personal passion, but he bought music in all genres; I'd known him since 1984 or so. Haven't been in the store since the new owner took over but will sometime this summer.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,323 times
We've done Page One, Menaul Book Exchange and Title Wave; all are worth visiting.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
There is a new used book store in Bernalillo right next to the flying star. You can ride the train from downtown to Bernalillo and walk to the bookstore from the depot.

Under Charlie's Covers; Fine Used Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque