Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM

51 posts, read 200,466 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am hoping to convince my wife to move back to ABQ and have been looking at houses online. We would most likely move back to the Far NE heights or AA.
My questions is, I have seen newer homes in Vista Del Norte that look nice and seem reasonably priced but from the maps I have looked at, this neighborhood is west of I25 near the North Valley. THis was not there when I lived in ABQ so I don't know what that area is like.
Can someone give me an idea of what it is like around that neighborhood? Is this just a small area of nice houses surrounded by not-so-nice areas?
They list this as La Cueva school district. Which elementary school and Middle school do the kids in this area attend?

I pretty much want to stick with the La Cueva or El Dorado HS districts so we will most likely look to the Far NE. Just curious about this neighborhood.

Sorry for so many questions, it is just hard to appreciate the changes that have gone on in ABQ since I left there in 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:17 PM

186 posts, read 639,838 times
Vista del Norte is west of I25 off Osuna (there's an outlet off of Jefferson and Paseo Del Norte as well). A good friend of mine lives there. It is an entirely new subdivision so all of the houses are new and it is a HUGE complex. This is where a proposed WAL-MART was suppose to go, but they shot it down and said the patch of dirt was needed for the Balloon Fiesta.

On the extreme North-Northwest side, there are mobile homes that are present. However, they are a ways away and I never seen to notice them (there are two walls seperating the two. There is a very nice park that has been built in the subdivision.

As far as the schools, I don't know right off hand. Sandia Prep is right down the road on Osuna (yet it's private). Sorry, I can't help more there.

As far as the neighborhood, it is very nice. There are always people walking their dogs on the sidewalk or people jogging. It's very clean looking.

One thing to consider, the houses are built close together so you don't have much room to privatize your life. The back yards are nice, but the walls can be seen over. My friend built his wall up to make it more private and he constantly leaves one of his bedroom window curtains closed as it looks right in his neighbor's bedroom.

Anyways, I hope that helps, if even just a little.

Last edited by loboABQ; 02-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
I'm skeptical about Vista Del Norte being in La Cueva's district (and a realtor wouldn't fib about a thing like that, would they?). As I recall, VDN is closest to Del Norte HS but in Valley HS' district. La Cueva's pretty freakin' far from there, even compared to DNHS and VHS.

If you like houses packed in tight, and with a 5+-minute drive to shopping, etc., it's a good match for that.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I'm skeptical about Vista Del Norte being in La Cueva's district (and a realtor wouldn't fib about a thing like that, would they?). As I recall, VDN is closest to Del Norte HS but in Valley HS' district. La Cueva's pretty freakin' far from there, even compared to DNHS and VHS.

If you like houses packed in tight, and with a 5+-minute drive to shopping, etc., it's a good match for that.
It is not in La Cueva. See the boundry map at Albuquerque GIS. Valley HS and Taylor Middle.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM

51 posts, read 200,466 times
Thanks for the replies. Definitely will rule that out then. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,184 times
Default La Cueva HS/El Dorado HS

Ah, Voorhees, NJ! Memories of the Echelon Mall! Is it still there?
In case you don't have the website, ABQ MLS is ABQREALTORS.com - Official site of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Board of REALTORS®. If you want La Cueva HS, search for houses in Areas 10,20,21 and parts of 30. For El Dorado, search areas 30,31 and parts of 50 and 51. I'd tell you to check the APS website, but I don't find it terribly helpful. Most realtors try to get the correct info on schools, but a call to the district is always a good idea. Good luck and hope to see you back in the Land of Enchantment!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM

382 posts, read 1,227,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
Ah, Voorhees, NJ! Memories of the Echelon Mall! Is it still there?
In case you don't have the website, ABQ MLS is ABQREALTORS.com - Official site of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Board of REALTORS®. If you want La Cueva HS, search for houses in Areas 10,20,21 and parts of 30. For El Dorado, search areas 30,31 and parts of 50 and 51. I'd tell you to check the APS website, but I don't find it terribly helpful. Most realtors try to get the correct info on schools, but a call to the district is always a good idea. Good luck and hope to see you back in the Land of Enchantment!
Good link. Those criteria are not always accurate. Google " Albuquerque GIS", select the "school" layer, turn on the "show streets", choose your school type (HS, MS, Elementary) and it will display a detailed map of the entire city. They are the offical boundries.

Recognize that some areas near La Cueva are NOT in the district, while other areas further away are. Politics! Same with Desert Ridge Middle School. Kids across the street attend Madison, while others much further away attend DR. Don't count on a realtor to be your friend, especially in this market - they are probably desperate for any sale.

Also, many realtors have used the old "under federal law you can transfer schools" story. This is technically true under NCLB, but with restrictions. We know a family who moved near Paseo and Wyoming because they wanted into La Cueva. They were out of boundry, but the realtor told them their kids could transfer. La Cueva was not taking transfers as they were already at capacity, and their kids ended up in Del Norte, which they hate more than Cibola where they came from.

I don't know about transfers at other schools. I live in the La Cueva district, and hear the neighbors yakking about it all the time. It is a hot topic.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
I would live in this area VDN - in a second - and it is a really nice area of ABQ (plus centralized to many places in ABQ).

However, as others have stated, it isn't in La Cueva.

But it is really nice!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,184 times
Sorry if I was unclear....I didn't mean to imply that ALL houses in those areas go to La Cueva. The boundaries are "changeable" and political, as you noted. However, as a starting point, it does get the OP looking in the right area. The original post asked about Vista del Norte, which is in Area 100. Also, I know that not all info in MLS is 100% accurate for a variety of reasons. That's why it's always good to doublecheck directly with the source, in this instance APS.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,964 times
Del Norte is our district! I only know this because my daughter attends and I had to look into what schools were in our district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque