Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 PM

17 posts, read 44,848 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving from Roswell to ABQ, but I know nothing about the area. Which apartments are the best and safest for a young woman? Also do you know of any that have all utilities paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
A lot of apartments offer paid utilities, but keep in mind, they'll most likely have swamp cooler/furnace and you won't be able to control when they're switched over. Utilities here are fairly cheap - I'm in a 2-bedroom triplex with west/south walls and my gas+electric combined are under $100, even in peak hot/cold months. I think last month, combined cost was about $51.

What is your budget for rent? Knowing what you want to spend will help folks give you some suggested areas and complexes.

Also, do you have pets, and if yes, what kind/breed? That makes a big difference too.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM

38 posts, read 43,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeDesi449 View Post
I'm considering moving from Roswell to ABQ, but I know nothing about the area. Which apartments are the best and safest for a young woman? Also do you know of any that have all utilities paid?
West side or East?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
A lot of apartments offer paid utilities, but keep in mind, they'll most likely have swamp cooler/furnace and you won't be able to control when they're switched over. Utilities here are fairly cheap - I'm in a 2-bedroom triplex with west/south walls and my gas+electric combined are under $100, even in peak hot/cold months. I think last month, combined cost was about $51.

What is your budget for rent? Knowing what you want to spend will help folks give you some suggested areas and complexes.

Also, do you have pets, and if yes, what kind/breed? That makes a big difference too.

I don't want to go over $700 per month, but I'm hoping to find something for about $500 or $600 a month. I don't have any pets, yet. If I do get one when I get there it will probably be something very small.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon1 View Post
West side or East?
I'm not really sure. I've only been to ABQ when I was little and I can't remember anything about it. So, I'm not really sure which side I want.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeDesi449 View Post
I'm not really sure. I've only been to ABQ when I was little and I can't remember anything about it. So, I'm not really sure which side I want.
Do you have a job lined up? For me it would depend on where you will be working. I wouldn't want to direct you to an apartment complex across from Cottonwood Mall or north of there and you are working at say the Airport, Kirtland AFB, Sandia ... etc...etc. That would put you commuting from 45min + each way.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:24 PM

461 posts, read 922,618 times
I lived in Hunter's Ridge and paid $685 for a nice place with AC (no swamp cooler). It's near the highway on the east side of the city, and a good location to get on biking/hiking trails. I'd highly recommend it.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Do you have a job lined up? For me it would depend on where you will be working. I wouldn't want to direct you to an apartment complex across from Cottonwood Mall or north of there and you are working at say the Airport, Kirtland AFB, Sandia ... etc...etc. That would put you commuting from 45min + each way.
I actually work from home. I am a writer, but I will also be getting my phlebotomy certification soon. It would be nice to live near some blood collection centers or maybe some doctors offices or hospitals, but if those areas are unsafe, I don't mind driving. I have my own car.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
I lived in Hunter's Ridge and paid $685 for a nice place with AC (no swamp cooler). It's near the highway on the east side of the city, and a good location to get on biking/hiking trails. I'd highly recommend it.
Awesome! I'll take a look at it. Thank you!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 PM

142 posts, read 252,850 times
There are safe places through out the city. Don't be a car clown, live close to work so you don't waste all your time driving. Pick a neighborhood that has things in it you like to do. If you want suburban life go westside, family-middle class life go northeast heights, bar hoping life go downtown, college life go UNM/Nob Hill, agricultural life with a taste of mexico go south valley, etc. Just know that Albuquerque is very pocketed and can have very unpleasant areas next to a nice apartment complex, so spend some time checking out an apartment both at day/night and drive the surrounding blocks. Personally if you're new to town, I'd find something central (like Uptown) that puts you near most things so you can get a feel for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque