Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Maybe the ambiguity comes from the fact that 'Native' (note the capital 'N') has become the preferred self-descriptor for Native Americans under 40 or so.

So, in the local vernacular, a native New Mexican, someone born and raised in NM of any heritage, is distinct from a Native New Mexican, someone from NM with indigenous heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM

9 posts, read 19,881 times
Default ABQ is a little different...

Is the crime rate high here in Albuquerque? Compared to what? According to who? Statistics about crime are not regulated any place. They are always a "best guess" scenario. We have the gangs and drug-related crime... Low-paying jobs and high drop-out rates... Horrible stories of domestic/animal/child abuse. And a high rate of poverty. All are ingredients for bad headlines.

Are there places I won't go in this city at night? You betcha!! Not even in a crowd. Does anyone in this town know how to drive? Nope. And was my beater car stolen just last month? Indeed it was.

But! You really can't compare Albuquerque or New Mexico to other parts of the US. It's kind of like a "Third World Country in Van Gogh Colors" type of experience for me. Call me crazy, but it makes me want to dance. If you "get" the passion most people feel for this place, the visceral beauty, the air, the colors, the mountains and canyons and rocks. And you have to work in Albuquerque in order to stay here and enjoy it, then usually the crime rate doesn't count for much.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoaka View Post
Is the crime rate high here in Albuquerque? Compared to what? According to who? Statistics about crime are not regulated any place.
This question comes up a lot. No matter what the answer, there are those who will ignore or dispute the answer. Here is one attempt at an explanation, and believe what you want:
The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program was conceived in 1929 by the International Association of Chiefs of Police to meet a need for reliable, uniform crime statistics for the nation. In 1930, the FBI was tasked with collecting, publishing, and archiving those statistics. Today, several annual statistical publications, such as the comprehensive Crime in the United States, are produced from data provided by nearly 17,000 law enforcement agencies across the United States.
Most of the statistics for the larger cities are derived from the UCR's. But the statistics do not mean much to many, they either love or hate an area, looking for some explanation which really can't be explained...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-26-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,570 times
Angry Gangs

Attention squeamish people..
Just stay away from the river and stay by tha mountain.
Hoods to stay away from:
Five-Points- Used to be alot worse. located all around bridge, sunset, and five-points rd. (five-points intersection)
MartinezTown- bunch of crackheads there. along broadway blvd between central and menaul.
Wells Park- just North of San Jose
San Jose- one of tha worst rite now. cops everywhere. located along south broadway
Barelas- next to san jose along river centered on bridge blvd (east side)
WarZone- around state fair park
WestGate- decent/ not too much crime but still up there. nothing but houses on the mesa. all west of unser blvd between cental ave and dennis chavez blvd
Estancia- along river (west side) within central ave and coors blvd centered along Estancia rd.
Valley Gardens- Gun Club rd. between isleta blvd and coors blvd
Los Padillas- all south of Valley Gardens

These are most of tha bad areas. Mostly due to poverty.
Now remember, these are just BASIC BOUNDARIES, territories are bieng fought over all the time. Although the crime rate compared to the population has dropped a GRIP (a lot) since the 90's. Streets used to be covered in blood..... but Alburquerque has cleaned up quite significantly haha.
Oh and it's pronounced AlbuRquerque with an "R" not Albuquerque. Some white people changed it a long time ago so that its easier to pronounce.
But that's why we call it BURQUE-505

Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,812 times
in response to that comment about the warzone..you mustve been high or not have driven through the neighborhood u thought u were in because..i i used to live there. its a crack neighborhood, and just recently someone was shot in the face on bell and grove in broad daylight, i deliver pizza there 5 days a week and im telling you i see 3 arrests a week(thats just what i see, ive had guns pulled on me , and they block off the whole area a couple times a month because of homicide.robbery.etc. and ive personally seen s.w.a.t roll out there several times too.. if youve never been to compton for instance, some of it that may look nice too lol,,ive driven ALL over east 7 mile in detroit, and inglewood, chicago..just in case you think i might be small town ignorant lol sorry i just think people saying abq is 90% nice and safe is redic,even if it isnt as bad as the places i mentioned above

Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi there, I read that these two areas are the worst in Albuquerque. Why are they? And why is the second area called the "War Zone"? Makes it sound like Compton or something.

The South Valley, along the river south of Central Avenue. ( we had a tire blowout and had to drive through ABQ to the wal-mart at Coors Blvd SW and Rio Grande BLVD SW. is this considered part of the S. Valley? The area looked clean and inviting. Maybe I didn't see the bad.

The War Zone, the area surrounding and south of the State Fairgrounds.

When I was in Albuquerque, I thought it looked quite safe and clean to me... It was actually very attractive. I fell in love with ABQ
aww no man..trust me there is nothing about the warzone that is safe and clean..its a crack infested neighborhood, lots of prositution and drug dealing its a hot spot man

Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I disagree about crime being due to poverty -- most poor people are not homicidal maniacs. I live in a poor city that is one of the safest. Crime has to do with drugs and gangs.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clips1 View Post
aww no man..trust me there is nothing about the warzone that is safe and clean..its a crack infested neighborhood, lots of prositution and drug dealing its a hot spot man
Yeah, that is complete an utter bs.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
So, I am bringing back my old thread because I am again thinking about moving up to Albuquerque. (I am currently still in El Paso.)

I am wondering why Guitarpir says I shouldn't move to Abq.

And I would really appreciate if any women could tell me of they feel safe living in the ABQ area. I currently live in a very safe city, so I am not used to living somewhere where crime against women is a big issue.

Also, I am wondering if ABQ is a bad place for a SWF in her early 30s (no kids) to meet single guys. (There are very few single guys where I live now.) I don't really care what race, but I prefer Hispanic/Latino.

Thank you.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
I am wondering why Guitarpir says I shouldn't move to Abq.
I guess you mean Guitarplr ? Only he can speak for himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
And I would really appreciate if any women could tell me of they feel safe living in the ABQ area. I currently live in a very safe city, so I am not used to living somewhere where crime against women is a big issue.
I am a male. But my wife drove 50+ miles every workday from 1998 to 2012, usually by herself, sometimes with other women. Most of that driving was in various parts of Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque