Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 13,845 times

Advertisements

I'll be a Air Force 2nd Lieutenant before too long, and I'm looking at Kirtland for my base preferences. I'm from Texas, don't mind the heat, and love the outdoors so the New Mexico lifestyle sounds pretty good to me. Is ABQ a nice place to live for folks in their mid 20s? I've seen questions about retirement, but how is the area for those just starting a career? Where would be a good place to live for young people, close to UNM?

Oh yeah, and go Air Force! Beat the Lobos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 04:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,657 times
Yes, Albuquerque is considered to be booming. UNM/Nob Hill is a very good neighborhood to be around if you are young, but don't limit yourself to that. We have a lot of things to do for a young person to meet people, start a career and build a family.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnakes View Post
I'm from Texas, don't mind the heat, and love the outdoors so the New Mexico lifestyle sounds pretty good to me. Is ABQ a nice place to live for folks in their mid 20s? I've seen questions about retirement, but how is the area for those just starting a career? Where would be a good place to live for young people, close to UNM?
I think so. The UNM area would be good for 20-somethings; lots of things to do, and a good supply of other young people to meet. Albuq is a good choice for young people also becuase it's still affordable for a metro area - I think it would work for you regardless of whether you only come for a few years, or if you'd decide to stay long term.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:07 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
Thumbs up I started travelling

to New Mexico when I was in my late teens and moved there when I was 30 after having briefly lived there in my late 20s. I think it is a great place for younger people but you will need to read these boards carefully to get all the pros and cons about the state. New Mexico is kind of different culturally. So long as you know that upfront you should be OK. The economy should get progressively better (hopefully) as some of the movie industry moves in from L.A.
Maybe you should visit for a couple of days, fly out and rent a car.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 PM

47 posts, read 237,231 times
Well I'm in my early 20's and a college student at UNM and I find a lot of stuff to do. If you're a 2nd Lie that means you just got in as an officer or haven't been in too long?

And there are a LOT of Air Force people here, you'd have a good time. If you're a guy, theres a lot of girls. If you're a girl, a lot of the guys are retarded :P

Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 PM

28 posts, read 72,384 times
East Downtown, or what they call EDo. I hate calling it that, though, because it sounds so cliche, like they're trying too hard to sound like its a trendy neighbourhood in Brooklyn or something.

I always liked the Lofts @ ABQ High, and there are some good restaurants in that area and many of the art museums of the city are close to there.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHikingCat View Post
East Downtown, or what they call EDo. I hate calling it that, though, because it sounds so cliche, like they're trying too hard to sound like its a trendy neighbourhood in Brooklyn or something.

I always liked the Lofts @ ABQ High, and there are some good restaurants in that area and many of the art museums of the city are close to there.
It is cliche since so many cities across the country have an area or neighborhood named like that. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'd say.

Whenever I hear the name EDo I first think of LoDo (Lower Downtown) in Denver. I also think of Tokyo since that city was once known as Edo.

There was a thread a while back in the City vs City forum of this site that asked which cities have areas and neighborhoods with a name that is a portmanteau. There were literally hundreds of examples given. From NoDa (North Davidson) in Charlotte to SoMa (South of Market) in San Francisco.

I don't think any of these are cases of trying too hard, but rather cases of coming up with a catchy and easy name for neighborhoods and areas which didn't have their own name before.

East Downtown, for example, was simply an area of the Huning Highland neighborhood before the rebirth of the Old Albuquerque High School campus. The name EDo was coined to give a better sense of place and identity to that emerging area on Central east of Downtown.

EDo in Albuquerque first came into use around the same time Brooklyn was first becoming trendy (the early part of the last decade), so I really don't think it was in imitation of anywhere in Brooklyn. If anything, I think it was more in direct imitation of LoDo in Denver.

In this country all these names came about in imitation of SoHo (South of Houston) and TriBeCa (Triangle below Canal) in New York City. Those neighborhoods are in Manhattan so I think of that borough and not Brooklyn whenever I hear portmanteau place names. And if you look into the history of why those places received their names you will see that it fits with why EDo in Albuquerque received its name.

And SoHo in New York City probably came about in imitation of SoHo in London. I don't think that was a case of New York City trying too hard to be like London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque