Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Other than you, who said "the vibe is different between Denver and Albuquerque"? There is nothing wrong with the Denver airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmania View Post
The Denver airport is beautiful, clean, efficient.
Next time you find yourself at DIA, visit the ghetto at the northern end of the B concourse. It's a cramped warren of twists, turns, escalators, undersized hallways, and pushing past people waiting in line for food that reminds you of the airports of yore.

Would also rank it in the lower third in terms of how fun it is to rent a car. Couple that with how great the transit is (cough) and its distance from anything..

Albuquerque's airport is a small fraction of the size but if they managed to create an analog of it in the Denver metro area (maybe Stapleton), it would be by far the favorite of the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,453,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Next time you find yourself at DIA, visit the ghetto at the northern end of the B concourse. It's a cramped warren of twists, turns, escalators, undersized hallways, and pushing past people waiting in line for food that reminds you of the airports of yore.

Would also rank it in the lower third in terms of how fun it is to rent a car. Couple that with how great the transit is (cough) and its distance from anything..

Albuquerque's airport is a small fraction of the size but if they managed to create an analog of it in the Denver metro area (maybe Stapleton), it would be by far the favorite of the two.
I have had the pleasure of navigating my way through that Greyhound like hall of death more often than I would like since so many UA flights ABQ-DEN are now UA Express. The flight itself is fine, and I love the FA's on that airline, but that area is unbelievable. I made the mistake once of going into the women's restroom there. And where do the passengers come from? Those who stand in front of the bottleneck that is the flight arrivals/departure board...staring blankly, mouth breathing....

IAH is far, far worse.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM

15 posts, read 31,261 times
I think you folks might be a tad bit spoiled when it comes to airports... I thought it was pretty nice. Lots of interesting artwork and architecture. Try the Tallahassee,Fl. airport.. it is easy to navigate.. but.. YAWN.

But those murals in the DIA.. really freaked me out a bit.

Anywho, I think Albuquerque wins hands down. Sig other and I are salt-o-the-earth types of people... and middle-aged, big city life that can border on superficial is not what we are looking for...

Denver was beautiful, and the people were certainly beautiful.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Desertmania,

Maybe it's me, but I think I understand you more than some. First, your username says it all. Second, I hear you loud and clear on the cloudy days in Pittsburgh. ABQ is number one for sunny days. You live the sun, have little use for overcast gloomy weather, but still want some kind of 4-season year.

I'm a Floridian who moved to Southern Colorado two years ago. We are also planning to move to ABQ soon. Reasons? It's not sunny enough in Southern Colorado and not warm enough in the winter. Also, Springs and south is not progressive enough for us (public transportation blows, bike "trails" are non-existent or limited to mountain trails, and south of Springs has limited economic opportunities). So, choices are to move to Denver to get all that (and truly freeze) or go south.

ABQ has all the benefits of Denver (from our perspective) but with way better weather and a better culture (I'm white, but don't want to raise my family in a nearly all-white town). I've spent eons researching the best place for us for the next 30 years and ABQ comes out on top easily. Now, exactly where in ABQ is up for debate, but making it our home is priority #1.

If I didn't need the seasons (and I don't, but my wife likes them and mountain views), and didn't mind urban sprawl (but I do mind it), I'd go with Phoenix...LOL.

There is a lot of high-tech in ABQ. I have no clue where or what Farmland is (sorry... Can't see your original post right now to see name of your hometown), but we decided that theme t ten years need to be spent in a city that has a halfway decent chance of giving us a good economic future. On a Google Map of New Mexico partially zoomed out, that leaves ABQ, Santa Fe, and Los Cruces. We love LC, but it's just too small for us and not decent enough weather for my wife. Not enough future opportunities for our children, we felt. All other towns in NM pretty much don't exist.

As a former web dev myself, I think there is plenty of business and potential in ABQ. And as you said, you might start some stuff if need be, which to me means you are just the type if forward-thinking person who would be successful in any city with a big enough economy.

As for all the airport discussions, I got lost. Who cares? I've flown more miles in my life as a passenger than some pilots and I gave up the whole gig. TSA and these bottom feeder airlines have made flying worse in the past 20 years. Seems things should be getting better, not worse. I take Greyhound or Amtrak almost everywhere. That's another benefit of ABQ - an Amtrak station. Spend a few extra bucks and a day or so. You'll love it. See the country and arrive relaxed and ready to hit the ground running. Plus, you can bring a massive amount of stuff on the train with you - great for moves.

Plus, no one lives in an airport (I hope) so as long as it's reasonably functional should you need to make an emergency flight, most airports are good enough. Everyone whines about DIA, but the first time I flew through it, I came to the conclusion that the whiners haven't traveled much. It's a perfectly fine airport, but then again, I don't hang around in the airport. I'm in and out so maybe I missed the Misery Terminal.

As for the advice for you to move to Southern Colorado, don't do it. It was a mistake for us. The winters in ABQ average ten degrees warmer and are about six weeks shorter, and are more sunny DURING the winter. We are at roughly the same elevation as ABQ, with less sunshine (admittedly by only about 30-40 days), and yet ABQ has summers that are slightly cooler, historically speaking. Personally, I can handle any amount of heat,but we left Florida because was pretty sick of it after two decades. So even a few degrees less is good with her.

ABQ seems to have a wicked amount of solid wi-fi cafes if you like to get out and work that way. I wouldn't "settle" for a medium or small town in this economy, considering what you do. Plus, the film industry is growing fast in ABQ, so you may end up getting some overlap projects that way, too.

Lastly, while folks were correct that snow is mild in Southern Colorado, it's still a pain at times. I hear they panic in ABQ at 1-inch and shut down the town, although I'm sure they are partially joking. Plus, it melts faster there - it has to! ABQ is five hours south and sunnier.

I've been trapped in Springs a few times just in a few years - sheets of snow coming down so thick you can't drive and the plows are just going in circles. Probably like Pittsburgh. Granted, it's uncommon, but not as uncommon as it should be.. Lol.

If you don't have to live in snow, why would anyone? I'll never understand. If I didn't promise my lovely wife beautiful fall leaves and at least some tiny snow fall each year, I'd be in Miami. But ABQ looks to be a really great area with solid growth management for its future. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM

15 posts, read 31,261 times
Wow! LanceSidious I most certainly appreciate your input. I'm was actually born in El Paso, and raised mostly (except for a few years in NM) in Florida.... so maybe the need for sun is in my blood by now. I also appreciate the need for diversity in any town. White can be *yawn* boring... and as a caucasian i feel fully certified to say this.
It was one of the reasons i enjoyed Fort Lauderdale, there are people from all over the world in that city.
But Florida has some pretty major issues.
Anywho thanks for your input. Sig other will be moving his business there and is already networking with the chamber of commerce. We have meetings set up for the end of the month when we visit.

Panic at 1-inch of snow.. that cracks me up. I have a smart car and it rides surprisingly well in the snow.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 15,953 times
I like your attitude Lancesidious. We live in Seattle and are considering a move to ABQ for a variety of reasons, but the main two are economics and weather. Hubby and I have traveled to many places as singles individually and after we married. So we've been through all kinds of airports and transit systems, etc., etc. I've lived in Georgia, Texas, upstate NY but the Pacific Northwest most of my life. I've also lived in Japan and traveled to Europe and Southeast Asia. The one thing that is a constant is yourself and your attitude and what you bring to your environment.

We're drawn to ABQ because it is so completely different from Seattle. We literally have giant mushrooms growing out of the grass lawn from all the moisture and rain. Our local Amtrak route had to be suspended on a particular route because of mudslides during the downpour. We live for the 2 weeks of sunshine that come and go in the "summer". I just want to be able to sit outside at night with a light sweater on. I have no idea what that's like !

Also, we love farmer's markets and fresh produce and I understand it is bountiful in ABQ. So we're planning a scout trip in the near future and meeting with a realtor so see what our options are. Any tips are appreciated and we are looking forward to a new adventure ! Thank you.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 9,420 times
I spent some time in Pittsburgh, and it started in January. Pittsburgh is paradise compared to Albuquerque. Lots of service oriented jobs especially if you speak Spanish.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,307 times
There's a few pages on Facebook you can check out to gauge the web dev/tech scene in ABQ.

https://www.facebook.com/nmtechcouncil?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/httqdotorg/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/AIGANM?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/SWSantaFe?fref=ts

There's also groups focused on wordpress, ruby, etc. there's a couple more on MeetUp. Now, I haven't actually gone to any of the events of these groups since I live in Las Cruces. But my wife (graphic designer) and myself (web dev) are planning to move to ABQ within the next year so I've been doing research.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmania View Post
The Denver airport is beautiful, clean, efficient.
The murals in the airport are a bit scary.... which surprised me.
I'm sure i'm not the only one who is caught off guard by a sword wielding soldier in a gas mask.
The links tell me a lot about the differences between the two cities.
TY!
I am not sure why you got so many replies steering you away from NM! I am from Albuquerque, but have lived in NYC for most of my adult life since my mid twenties. I now live in Denver. I have to say that NM is for me still a place nowhere else can touch. It has great cultural diversity and a huge sense of pride among the hispanic community and native american community--and unlike Colorado, the hispanic community is integrated, influential, and has a lot of voice in politics and has shaped the culture and history of the place. (As have the Native American populations.) The influence of Spanish culture and Mexican culture is so visible and wonderful. You don't get that in Colorado at all. It's very white--very midwestern. I'm not knocking that, just pointing out a big difference between the two places.

Albuquerque has its flaws, mainly strip malls and chain stores everywhere. It's crazy, actually, how many chain stores there are out there. But there are also a ton of mom and pop businesses, and quiet tree-lined neighorhoods with wide streets, big sky, and you can see the mountains from every part of the city, they're never really out of view. And you have the Rio Grande river valley, which has great walks in the NOrth Valley, and Corrales.

And you are so close to Santa Fe and Taos, for great art galleries, restaurants, etc. The cost of living is very very affordable in ALB, as well.

As for nature and outdoorsy stuff, it is GREAT. There are tons of trails in the Sandias and Manzanos, about 25 minutes from downtown ALB, closer if you are in the NE of the city. ANd rafting, fishing, great camping, and skiing.

It lacks a vibrant hip urban culture--there are a few great bookstores, coffee shops, little restaurants, but not at all plenty of any of that. But I'd say unless that is what lights your fire, there are one or two of thsoe things to satisfy you, and the outdoors, the ease of getting around, the sense of diversity adn culture, it is an easy, healthy city and access to Taos and Santa Fe make it pretty special.

Try indeed.com for job listings--and I say if that's where you want to be, GO FOR IT!!! You will make it work. It is a special and mystical place that attracts characters and people who are open to life.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 PM

137 posts, read 268,624 times
Albuquerque?
Great weather? YES.
Great mountain view? YES
Great landscape? YES
Great native culture? YES
Affordability? YES
You're white, Jewish or Hispanic or Native? YES
Job prospect? Good depending on your race/ethnicity.
My recommendation for any young person regardless of race/ethnicity is explore other places after college before going to a place like Albuquerque, otherwise you'll loose out in broadening your horizon.

For Blacks, a job might bring you to ABQ from the East or California but if you loose that job, FORGET it! And I am talking professionals.
Institutional prejudice is very rampant against black professionals. I wouldn't recommend blacks who depend on a "job" to move there even with advanced degrees. If you hit the jackpot or trust fund or so yes, it's a great place! Black physicians of course will be fine - the few health systems need more doctors and maybe nurses. But even they leave after as quickly as they come.

You really like Albuquerque but if you can't get a single call for an interview in the city you came, loved and lived but getting tons of calls/interview invitations from out of state from other cities, what does that say especially if you wanted to continue live in such a city?

At the end of they day economics will trump great weather, great landscape and even affordability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque