Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 24,474 times

Advertisements

Hello all! This is my first post on the forums. I have just accepted a job offer at Sandia Labs and will begin work this coming February. I've lived in the Northeast my whole life. My wife and I will be looking to stay in an apartment and we're looking for some suggestions that are within 20-25 minutes of KAFB. Having read a bit on these forums and apartmentratings it seems to be very hit and miss.
We will have the financial means to get a "luxury" apartment if that is the best option.

Some priorities:
1) Commutable distance to Sandia
2) Preferably a gated community (but not a dealbreaker)
3) In a section of the city that is safe/walkable. I know that this is once again hit or miss but we'd prefer to not be in an area known for constant problems.
4) A place that looks "nice" to the eye....I guess I mean I don't want to be in a run-down complex

I know there are a lot of messages on here about apartments but I figured that management can change (for the better or the worst) so I wanted to get recent thoughts.
The Broadstone High Desert apartments look intriguing...has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I really appreciate it.

Oh, and we aren't opposed to renting a small townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gormandizer11 View Post
2) Preferably a gated community (but not a dealbreaker)
3) In a section of the city that is safe/walkable. I know that this is once again hit or miss but we'd prefer to not be in an area known for constant problems.
4) A place that looks "nice" to the eye....I guess I mean I don't want to be in a run-down complex
Let me get this straight. Gated, but walkable?

Albuquerque does have its gated communities but they are not common and they are not typically necessary. If you want walkable, throw that gated community notion out the window.

Also, you won't find too many gated and run down properties anywhere.

If you're set on gated, recommend you consider Towne Park if a house is ok; they probably restrict against rentals but it is close (Eubank @ Chico NE) and the commute would be very short as Sandia commutes go. There is a new development across Chico which is likewise gated.

Picking the ideal place to stay depends on which gate is closest to your spot on Sandia. Eubank gate, Wyoming gate, Gibson gate, Truman gate, South gate all feed out into different parts of the city. Once you have a preference, that will make advising you easier.

IMO living behind a gate accomplishes two things:

*Provides its residents with a false sense of security
*Makes visitors, deliverymen, and service providers (plumbers, pizza men, etc.) far less likely to want to come to your property

Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,873 times
How about the gated townhouses up in High Desert? You can walk around the neighbourhoods and trails up there, they all look nice, not rundown at all and probably around 25 minutes to the Eubank entrance to the base.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM

I should clarify. By "walkable", I meant that if I wanted to go on a walk near my apartment that it would be in a safe area : )

Also, living somewhere that was in a gated community is definitely not the most important thing for us. Just a nice perk. Like you said, if it is gated then it's probably pretty nice.

Last edited by gormandizer11; 09-05-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
IMO living behind a gate accomplishes two things:

*Provides its residents with a false sense of security
*Makes visitors, deliverymen, and service providers (plumbers, pizza men, etc.) far less likely to want to come to your property
I would add:

*Makes you accountable to an HOA with often Gestapo-like rules, and neighbors willing to report you for the slightest infraction, for which you may have tickets literally duct-taped to your car window or garage door for everyone to see (yes, I have had experience with this ) along with hefty fines. Some gated communities in Albuquerque have even made national news for their enforcement of draconian rules and the lawsuits that have arisen because of them. I would stay away.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Good to know. I'll stay away from gated communities in ABQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I would add:

*Makes you accountable to an HOA with often Gestapo-like rules, and neighbors willing to report you for the slightest infraction, for which you may have tickets literally duct-taped to your car window or garage door for everyone to see (yes, I have had experience with this ) along with hefty fines. Some gated communities in Albuquerque have even made national news for their enforcement of draconian rules and the lawsuits that have arisen because of them. I would stay away.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Makes you accountable to an HOA with often Gestapo-like rules.
Oh please, what a line of crap.... Makes me wonder if you really know what "Gestapo-like" really means. Never mind, I don't wish to hear your explanations, just sounds like bashing to me...

Rich

Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gormandizer11 View Post
My wife and I will be looking to stay in an apartment and we're looking for some suggestions that are within 20-25 minutes of KAFB.
My wife has been working primarily on KAFB since 1998. She has a longer commute to KAFB (50 minutes from Rio Rancho). By and far she claims that a major portion of Sandia Lab and DOE people live in the Northeast Heights. Although many are scattered from Santa Fe to Belen, and to the East Mountains...

You plan on staying in an Apartment while you look for housing.

Are you aware that certain civilians working on base can acquire temporary on base housing. I know people who have stayed a year. Check the KAFB housing office...

Rich

Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 AM

184 posts, read 805,094 times
Gormandizer, I just 'pm'd' you..

Also, please make sure to check out this "Current" Thread..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...partments.html

congrats on your job acceptance. I 'm sure you will really enjoy it here!
PS.. I vote for Northeast Heights... just off of Tramway!

Skyszlimit

Old 09-06-2011, 06:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Oh please, what a line of crap.... Makes me wonder if you really know what "Gestapo-like" really means. Never mind, I don't wish to hear your explanations, just sounds like bashing to me...

Rich
Some of the neighbors regularly referred to the HOA board as "The Gestapo", it's an exaggeration, of course. But some of those board members would have fit in perfectly well in the real Gestapo, given their attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque