Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 11:31 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Went to Cocina Azul today on 12th and Mountain. Best green chili stew. Hamburger tacos pretty good too.
I've tried this restaurant a few times but the chile is so mild that I do not see the point. Reminds me of Monroe's or La Salita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 07:17 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I've tried this restaurant a few times but the chile is so mild that I do not see the point. Reminds me of Monroe's or La Salita.
The stew chili? It had a lot of heat and the waiter said it was on the mild side that day.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
The stew chili? It had a lot of heat and the waiter said it was on the mild side that day.
I agree - the chile at Cocina Azul has had a lot of heat the times I've been. I always go to the Old Town location, though; maybe that makes a difference?

Old 07-05-2019, 01:41 PM

I usually order enchiladas and tave tried both their green and chile. But I don't bother with green chile stew at a restaurant because it is very easy to make so prefer to make my own.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:20 PM

I have to eat my words. Went to Cocina Azul on Mountain for lunch today and the green chile was very good and had plenty of heat. If I had not been planning to run errands for the next three hours, I would have ordered a quart of green chile to go.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I have to eat my words. Went to Cocina Azul on Mountain for lunch today and the green chile was very good and had plenty of heat. If I had not been planning to run errands for the next three hours, I would have ordered a quart of green chile to go.
It's by far the best I've had here so far. BTW I find most family Mexican restaurants here not that much different. I'm going to Taos next week. Got any recommendations?

Old 07-14-2019, 07:22 PM

I usually go to Orlando's in Taos but I went there a month ago and did not think it was that good. You might try to stop in Espanola on the way there and eat at La Cocina, Rancho de Chimayo, or another New Mexican restaurant.

One place I want to go sort of on the way to Taos is Sugar Nymphs Bistro in Penasco but it is a distance from Taos and I think only open for dinner. It is supposed to be very good but is not strictly New Mexican food. I came back from Taos on a Monday afternoon and wanted to stop there for dinner but the bistro was closed that day.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 07-14-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I usually go to Orlando's in Taos but I went there a month ago and did not think it was that good. You might try to stop in Espanola on the way there and eat at La Cocina, Rancho de Chimayo, or another New Mexican restaurant.

One place I want to go sort of on the way to Taos is Sugar Nymphs Bistro in Penasco but it is a distance from Taos and I think only open for dinner. It is supposed to be very good but is not strictly New Mexican food. I came back from Taos on a Monday afternoon and wanted to stop there for dinner but the bistro was closed that day.
FYI the guy at the hotel raved about Orlando's. I went to The Gorge, 5 Star and the El Taosano for breakfast. Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 AM

I went to Casa de Benavidez on north 4th street yesterday at the recommendation of a friend. Nice ambiance and patio dining. I had a combo plate so I could try several dishes. The red chile and carne adovada were excellent and the red enchilada and warm chips/salsa were also good. Biggest disappointment was the chile relleno which was soggy but rellenos are tricky. It was hard to judge the green chile because it was on the relleno and there was not a lot of it. But the waitperson said that the green was hotter and I thought the red had good heat. They have a separate carryout which appeals to me. Definitely plan to return and buy some red and green chile to take home.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:09 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
Quote:
I went to Casa de Benavidez on north 4th street yesterday at the recommendation of a friend. Nice ambiance and patio dining. I had a combo plate so I could try several dishes. The red chile and carne adovada were excellent and the red enchilada and warm chips/salsa were also good. Biggest disappointment was the chile relleno which was soggy but rellenos are tricky. It was hard to judge the green chile because it was on the relleno and there was not a lot of it. But the waitperson said that the green was hotter and I thought the red had good heat. They have a separate carryout which appeals to me. Definitely plan to return and buy some red and green chile to take home.
They have great breakfast burritos at the carryout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque